Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Season Ticket Farce @PaulBarber

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It hasn't been the same at all grounds over the last 2 nights; we were by far the emptiest stadium based on TV evidence. At most other clubs there is still a physical season ticket card which you can lend and this has bolstered the attendances when those who feel more vulnerable don't want to attend. Albion have gone far too "Big Brother" with this OTT Friends and Family scheme with the result that last night the ground was half empty and no vocal support was generated for the team. When the Wolves fans started singing "your support is f**king s**t" I had to agree with them...

This idea that if only it was easy to pass your ticket around , then every season ticket holder would have found nearly 10+ thousands of fans to attend last night who would have felt safe travelling there, weren't ill, or fancied a midweek game v Wolves that was on the TV is a bit of a stretch.
I think the sharing scheme is a bit of a faff, the price is a barrier for some but i'm not convinced at all it would have made anything other than a tiny difference to the crowd if the thousands who stayed away last night had access to something else that was free or easier. (in fact its really easy to use anyway) .

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This idea that if only it was easy to pass your ticket around , then every season ticket holder would have found nearly 10+ thousands of fans to attend last night who would have felt safe travelling there, weren't ill, or fancied a midweek game v Wolves that was on the TV is a bit of a stretch.
I think the sharing scheme is a bit of a faff, the price is a barrier for some but i'm not convinced at all it would have made anything other than a tiny difference to the crowd if the thousands who stayed away last night had access to something else that was free or easier. (in fact its really easy to use anyway) .

Whilst a friend that was isolating so wasn't able to go couldn't have found 10+ thousands of fans I'm pretty sure they could have found 1 fan to use their ticket if we were still using the old card season ticket cards to get in.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
If there were 30362 there last night, then the Amex must hold 45k.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Now I've discovered that you can just take a screenshot of your Apple Wallet ticket and pass it on for nowt, I'd imagine that many will avoid the £25 altogether and go back to the old way of sharing tickets i.e. "yeah, you can have my ticket for nothing, just buy me a pint."

And having passed on the screenshot and youreceive an email from the club saying that you are one of those selected to have your COVID protection checked at the ticket office, what then?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why? Who really cares? It is known that every club does it - move on. There are plenty of reasons why it happens and it is stupid, but is what it is.
I care! It really pisses me off. I know all clubs do it, yada yada yada, but like saying 'should of' rather than 'should have' it's the WRONG WORD BEING USED!

Yes, it's petty, yes I should let it go, yes there are way more important things to care about - but we can't help what grinds our gears.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Whilst a friend that was isolating so wasn't able to go couldn't have found 10+ thousands of fans I'm pretty sure they could have found 1 fan to use their ticket if we were still using the old card season ticket cards to get in.

Of course. I expect there will be some fans who might have gone if this was the case.. Hard to put a number on it. But my guess is that the vast majority of fans yesterday would have had no luck persuading people to go - not because of the price of an Albion + membership - but because of the sheer number and because most people who might even have considered it probably thought it was best to stay at home and watch tv in the middle of a pandemic when they risked getting sick on a train, on a concourse, or queuing up outside a stadium.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021

I don't agree. I know 2 people who are part-time Albion fans (there are thousands out there) who were offered tickets last night and would happily have gone if it wasn't for the hassle and expense of the current approach.

Personally I have already nominated 4 people who I could share my season ticket with, but when I had Covid and had to miss the Newcastle game none of them could make it. There were others who could but didn't want to join the scheme. Oh, and my ticket didn't sell when I put it back into the re-sell ticket scheme so the seat sat there empty and no-one bought a pie and a pint.

IT'S SIMPLE, WE SHOULD BE ENTITLED TO SHARE OUR SEASON TICKET WITH ANYONE WHO HAS A FAN NUMBER AND SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY TO DO SO!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't agree. I know 2 people who are part-time Albion fans (there are thousands out there) who were offered tickets last night and would happily have gone if it wasn't for the hassle and expense of the current approach.

Personally I have already nominated 4 people who I could share my season ticket with, but when I had Covid and had to miss the Newcastle game none of them could make it. There were others who could but didn't want to join the scheme. Oh, and my ticket didn't sell when I put it back into the re-sell ticket scheme so the seat sat there empty and no-one bought a pie and a pint.

IT'S SIMPLE, WE SHOULD BE ENTITLED TO SHARE OUR SEASON TICKET WITH ANYONE WHO HAS A FAN NUMBER AND SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY TO DO SO!

Hardly a hassle to become an Albion member - other than the cost I really can’t see the downside - easier for you to transfer the ticket, easier for them not having to return a physical ticket.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Agreed. You think it should be free. I see that argument and some clubs have gone down that route. Albion might argue in response that they provide other things for free (eg: travel, direct debits for season tickets) as part of ST cost so entitled to charge a one off fee etc. But i get it.
Unfortunately i think the circumstances surrounding last nights game, the rapid increase in Covid infections , the recommendations from the gov/health experts to stay at home/be cautious surely would have meant thousands of empty seats regardless.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Of course. I expect there will be some fans who might have gone if this was the case.. Hard to put a number on it. But my guess is that the vast majority of fans yesterday would have had no luck persuading people to go - not because of the price of an Albion + membership - but because of the sheer number and because most people who might even have considered it probably thought it was best to stay at home and watch tv in the middle of a pandemic when they risked getting sick on a train, on a concourse, or queuing up outside a stadium.

I agree that making tickets easier would have not added too many to the real attendance last night but there were a set of circumstances which also made it a difficult choice for many , the rise in COVID numbers and the fact that people were not expecting a good game due to injuries & covid meant that you would not get the marginal fans in.

It would be interesting to know what has happened with ST numbers - did we lose 8k ST holders due to COVID fears but those tickets were absorbed by the waiting list so there are no spare fans ready to take up the slack . It would also to see the numbers regards serial non attenders like me who basically attended 95% of home games in previous seasons but have attended none in last 18 months .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Next time pass it to one of the 4 you have nominated anyway, then print their ticket that you’ll get by email and give it to who you like……

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Certainly didnt in the North East entrance, person literally had a quick glance at phone. I could have show the qr code of a Wetherspoons menu and got in.

I did get in with the beer menu from Unbarred recently. I couldn’t find my covid pass or whatever it’s called.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It would be interesting to know what has happened with ST numbers - did we lose 8k ST holders due to COVID fears but those tickets were absorbed by the waiting list so there are no spare fans ready to take up the slack . It would also to see the numbers regards serial non attenders like me who basically attended 95% of home games in previous seasons but have attended none in last 18 months .

we have more ST holders than ever before , according to Barber, because of the extra seats. He confirmed that a month or so ago. And 1901 ST holders is also sold out for a further 5 years. He also says that we now have a waiting list again.
Was the waiting list ever as high as 8K. Not sure it was ever revealed by the club . I'd be interested in seeing an interview or a quote if so.
Yep. I'm sure there's plenty of ST holders - perhaps hundreds - who for obvious reasons are currently not attending.
PS: sorry to hear you can't make it at the moment. you didn't miss much last night mind.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agreed. You think it should be free. I see that argument and some clubs have gone down that route. Albion might argue in response that they provide other things for free (eg: travel, direct debits for season tickets) as part of ST cost so entitled to charge a one off fee etc. But i get it.
Unfortunately i think the circumstances surrounding last nights game, the rapid increase in Covid infections , the recommendations from the gov/health experts to stay at home/be cautious surely would have meant thousands of empty seats regardless.

Last night was exceptional, but could become the norm given the reliance on rammed public transport in the middle of a highly transmissable to travel to the theatre of not scoring very often.

What grinds my gears most of all is the way we are supposed to acquiesce to the demands of the broadcasters, what was once a 3pm Saturday ritual now takes place somewhere between starting at 7:45pm on Friday and finishing at 10pm Monday. Like most STH my PREFERRED option is always to see the Albion, but sometimes there are work (I work 250 miles away from the Amex although live close), social, other events and family commitments that we are supposed to drop at the whim of Sky/BT and so on when they choose the kick off days and times.

Meal booked for Saturday night with your other half or halves*? Now face the choice of reorganising it to suit the broadcaster's needs or let the seat go empty, unless you know someone who an Albion + member who has paid £20 on the offchance of getting a ticket occasionally and just so happens to be free that evening. Working on a Monday and can't get to the ground on time for an evening KO? The same attitude of when Sky call to shift the time then grab your ankles and be grateful for the privilege.

If we were given the OPTION of a refund for matches rescheduled for TV purposes within 14 days of the new times being announced that would be fair for all. Most STH would still do all they can to go to the match, we are Albion fans after all. The club would have ample time to resell the ticket (and we are told that with modern lifestyles 3pm on a Saturday is passe so presumably selling tickets should be easy enough) and make a profit as matchday ticket prices are higher than those charged to STH. The broadcasters would have a match taking place before more fans, providing a better backdrop to their product.

Will PL clubs vote for such a change? Two hopes, and Bob is dead. If only there were proposals for someone, perhaps a regulator or ombudsman to be involved in the sport who represented fan interests? But dare say that and you are labelled a Maoist.

*Catering for the polygamist and swingers amongst the fanbase, I know who you are. :cool:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Last night was exceptional, but could become the norm given the reliance on rammed public transport in the middle of a highly transmissable to travel to the theatre of not scoring very often.

What grinds my gears most of all is the way we are supposed to acquiesce to the demands of the broadcasters, what was once a 3pm Saturday ritual now takes place somewhere between starting at 7:45pm on Friday and finishing at 10pm Monday. Like most STH my PREFERRED option is always to see the Albion, but sometimes there are work (I work 250 miles away from the Amex although live close), social, other events and family commitments that we are supposed to drop at the whim of Sky/BT and so on when they choose the kick off days and times.

Meal booked for Saturday night with your other half or halves*? Now face the choice of reorganising it to suit the broadcaster's needs or let the seat go empty, unless you know someone who an Albion + member who has paid £20 on the offchance of getting a ticket occasionally and just so happens to be free that evening. Working on a Monday and can't get to the ground on time for an evening KO? The same attitude of when Sky call to shift the time then grab your ankles and be grateful for the privilege.

If we were given the OPTION of a refund for matches rescheduled for TV purposes within 14 days of the new times being announced that would be fair for all. Most STH would still do all they can to go to the match, we are Albion fans after all. The club would have ample time to resell the ticket (and we are told that with modern lifestyles 3pm on a Saturday is passe so presumably selling tickets should be easy enough) and make a profit as matchday ticket prices are higher than those charged to STH. The broadcasters would have a match taking place before more fans, providing a better backdrop to their product.

Will PL clubs vote for such a change? Two hopes, and Bob is dead. If only there were proposals for someone, perhaps a regulator or ombudsman to be involved in the sport who represented fan interests? But dare say that and you are labelled a Maoist.

*Catering for the polygamist and swingers amongst the fanbase, I know who you are. :cool:

Very inclusive but nevertheless that is highly questionable Maths.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here