Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Season Ticket Farce @PaulBarber

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
OK, but the point here is that the club disagree and that’s that. Posts on here are getting more and more extreme eg sacking Barber and invoking the Gull’s Eye protests. There is absolutely no perspective and people just seem to want their own way. I’m wondering whether they behave like this in other areas of their life. ‘No, I don’t like the rules in my local pub, GP, supermarket, library etc and I MUST be listened to otherwise everyone has to be sacked.’

That's true of some for sure

I'd still put money on a 'soft climbdown' next season though :lolol:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I know I am in the minority here(probably of one), and I fully expect to get flak and abuse-but I seriously dont get why anyone is getting upset about this

I knew from the day I got a season ticket that officially we weren't meant to give them to anyone else to use,(excepting the upgrade that is allowed a certain number of times I believe) that is nothing new.
There are numerous threads and comments on here going back years about people using others season tickets asking were they checked, etc so it is not a secret that it wasnt officially allowed, and there have been instances where fans who did "sell" their tickets to others were banned (Fusion for example), and each time there was plenty of comment about tickets not being transferable
We have the annual photo id matching the ticket comments for palace games so again stating ticket owners only

The club made it clear that the sharing scheme was a one off for a one off cost this season to officially allow you to share with another member and at £20 seems pretty good to me.

The ticket exchange is also well publicised as being active only when the games sold out- and not before, again nothing new,

All this outrage that people have bought the ticket and they should be allowed to do what they want is just bollocks, everyone who has a season ticket is and was perfectly aware that they are for personal use only.

Yes its a ball ache with so many changed times and days, but again thats nothing new,

If having a season ticket isnt cost effective for individuals because they cant go to games for whatever reason then i suggest dont have a season ticket and buy matchday ones instead.
I am not "upset" by anything to do with ticketing. Life is too short. I don't care if my seat goes empty.

I am "disappointed" however with Barber's response to the issue. Never a good look in my eyes to dismiss and double down.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
OK, but the point here is that the club disagree and that’s that. Posts on here are getting more and more extreme eg sacking Barber and invoking the Gull’s Eye protests. There is absolutely no perspective and people just seem to want their own way. I’m wondering whether they behave like this in other areas of their life. ‘No, I don’t like the rules in my local pub, GP, supermarket, library etc and I MUST be listened to otherwise everyone has to be sacked.’

I have not read all the pages but I have not really seen this. More like a weary resignation and disappointment, and some constructive suggestions.. How many people have been calling for Barber to be sacked for this ?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I know I am in the minority here(probably of one), and I fully expect to get flak and abuse-but I seriously dont get why anyone is getting upset about this

I knew from the day I got a season ticket that officially we weren't meant to give them to anyone else to use,(excepting the upgrade that is allowed a certain number of times I believe) that is nothing new.
There are numerous threads and comments on here going back years about people using others season tickets asking were they checked, etc so it is not a secret that it wasnt officially allowed, and there have been instances where fans who did "sell" their tickets to others were banned (Fusion for example), and each time there was plenty of comment about tickets not being transferable
We have the annual photo id matching the ticket comments for palace games so again stating ticket owners only

The club made it clear that the sharing scheme was a one off for a one off cost this season to officially allow you to share with another member and at £20 seems pretty good to me.

The ticket exchange is also well publicised as being active only when the games sold out- and not before, again nothing new,

All this outrage that people have bought the ticket and they should be allowed to do what they want is just bollocks, everyone who has a season ticket is and was perfectly aware that they are for personal use only.

Yes its a ball ache with so many changed times and days, but again thats nothing new,

If having a season ticket isnt cost effective for individuals because they cant go to games for whatever reason then i suggest don't have a season ticket and buy matchday ones instead.
Being able to let someone else use a season ticket if the holder can't go has been around as long as season tickets have been. I only went to my first matches in 1972 because the ST holder who sat next to my Dad couldn't make the odd game. There was no 'admin fee', no checking whether any names matched, it was just a paper ticket in a book. Off the back of those few matches I became hooked. These days the seat would have remained empty because my Dad would not have been able to have justified the extra money (or even had it) to take a 7 year old to football on the off chance that he might like it. But you're obviously OK with having to pay extra just to be able to share something you have already paid for with a different member of your own family, so we'll have to agree to disagree

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I have not read all the pages but I have not really seen this. More like a weary resignation and disappointment, and some constructive suggestions.. How many people have been calling for Barber to be sacked for this ?

I have raised the question whether Barber has taken us as far as he can. I certainly haven't "called for him to be sacked" though.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the basis of the system. Where it falls down is the is the cost to the STH.

As someone else posted, we all know that that you aren't supposed to just pass your ticket on to anyone and technology has now made that nigh on impossible. I don't see a problem in the 'casual' fan who would benefit from the ticket having to pay a fee. Every game is a sell out whether people go or not so there could be Albion + members who want tickets but can't get them because STH are lending them to their mates rather than putting them on the exchange.

As for the 'WeareBrighton' article, who wrote that? I didn't see any reference to that. Also, how dumb is it to refer to one thread and boast that 90% of the contributors are against the scheme when any common sense would show that that remains a very very small percentage of STH in the first place. Also, look at the 30 odd pages and it's the same old contributors keeping it going.

And let's not forget, any criticism of PB is a criticism of TB!!!

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I have not edited a single word on this post. I simply wanted to quote it but pressed the wrong button (again :facepalm:) and now it automatically generates text at the bottom of the post to say I have edited it - even if (as on this occasion) I haven't. Apologies all and Drew in particular. Regards - B. Nylon.

Last edited by a moderator:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Don't think you've fully understood the issues some of us have with it. For me at least it's not 'do as I want' and it's not about cost at all - it's 'please allow me to share - very occasionally - with a casual visitor who isn't a member, and I'm happy to pay a fee to do so'. There is no (within T&C) means of doing this.

but thats the point isnt it- you DO want the club to allow you to do as YOU want . You say its not about "do as I want" and then in the very next sentence you say i want to....... What youwant its not allowed, it has never been allowed, and probably never will be. You do want the club to do what you want it to, there are probably several thousands of others who want the club to do something slightly different just for them. They cant have thousands of exceptions, the rules are there, very clear, very well publicised

Contrary to what is becoming a more prevalent view, the club doesnt "belong" to the fans any more than Sainsburys belongs to people who shop there . If I dont like how Sainsburys lays out its shop, or operates its tills, or the products it sells, then I dont expect them to change for me, I will go to ADSA, or Waitrose, or Aldi, similarly I dont expect the club to alter its T nad Cs because occasionally it doesnt suit ME

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm really mixed on this.

I really appreciate the help given, and I'm taking advantage of it. That said, with a guesstimate of 20 - 25k attending imho, and the money in the back pocket from our Skymasters, it's in their interests to pull out all the stops in this particular instance.

I think I'm erring on the side of appreciating the gesture.

There is not a chance of an attendance like that I'm afraid. Take 10,000 off imo.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have raised the question whether Barber has taken us as far as he can. I certainly haven't "called for him to be sacked" though.

He's an administrator, not an effing coach! Who would you look to bring in to replace him? I believe he's quite highly sought after by other clubs hence TB's willingness to pay him more.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Also, look at the 30 odd pages and it's the same old contributors keeping it going.

That could equally be said the other way round. It is the same (very few) contributors that keep arguing that everything is fine and dandy as they don't mind so are unable to comprehend how anyone else may have a problem with it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

In this thread and others identical (ever since the scheme was announced) there are a small but increasing number of posters doing exactly what I described. The issue has become a focus for any and all disenchantment and people are giving it to the club and its employees with both barrels. It’s OTT. A lot of it reads like feet stamping as people insist the rules must be changed to suit their circumstances.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If I dont like how Sainsburys lays out its shop, or operates its tills, or the products it sells, then I dont expect them to change for me, I will go to ADSA, or Waitrose, or Aldi, similarly I dont expect the club to alter its T nad Cs because occasionally it doesnt suit ME

Ah well. If your club is the same to you as your choice of supermarket there is not a lot more to be said.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
In this thread and others identical (ever since the scheme was announced) there are a small but increasing number of posters doing exactly what I described. The issue has become a focus for any and all disenchantment and people are giving it to the club and its employees with both barrels. It’s OTT. A lot of it reads like feet stamping as people insist the rules must be changed to suit their circumstances.

Maybe. I have just not really seen it. There may be a few but are the posts getting more and more extreme ? I just don't see it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That could equally be said the other way round. It is the same (very few) contributors that keep arguing that everything is fine and dandy as they don't mind so are unable to comprehend how anyone else may have a problem with it.

And of course the third group who simply accept the reality of this temporary scheme and don’t make a big deal of the rights and wrongs of it as there aren’t any.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He's an administrator, not an effing coach! Who would you look to bring in to replace him? I believe he's quite highly sought after by other clubs hence TB's willingness to pay him more.
I have posed a question. I would not bring anyone in at present, but if his dismissive, tissue thin-skinned approach to potentially valid issues is continued then I'm not convinced by the man.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have posed a question. I would not bring anyone in at present, but if his dismissive, tissue thin-skinned approach to potentially valid issues is continued then I'm not convinced by the man.

What if Tony Bloom is? (Hence why he appointed him as Vice Chairman over other members on the board including life long friends and other business associates)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
And (moving on to PR) those are the sorts of fans who write WAB and read it. And, if Covid continues much longer, they are the only type of fan who is going to go regularly. You'll lose elderly people and those with health problems but the chances are they might not be able to make every game anyway, but you can clearly see from the huge gaps in the East Stand that little Rupert is no longer being brought in from Fiveways or Hurstpierpoint. If families, the old and the sick cannot pass on tickets easily and if club essays dig out old school, ultra loyal fans, then you're losing goodwill everywhere,

Think your post is spot on and agree wholeheartedly.

Would just like to point out, as someone that sits in the East stand, there are equally huge gaps (to varying degrees) in the West, South and North stands too.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Probably works great - right up to the point where somebody decides to check the Google Pay 'details' page against 'your' id and/or covid status :dunce:

:dunce: Nice one :thumbsup:

Yes its probably a risk but they'd need to actually start checking id/covid passes properly to begin with.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The club should make STs transferable in the way that the scheme already does - but without the annual £20 fee to the STH and without the requirement for the recipient to be Albion+. However, to activate the ticket, the recipient has to pay the difference between the discounted ST price and a single matchday ticket in the relevant stand / section.

This feels like a fair compromise for all.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here