Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Season Ticket Farce @PaulBarber

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We have family down for Christmas - any decision about going on Boxing Day will be made late on the day, and it would be good to offer spare tickets (I will have access to probably two) to relations that are staying. These are not particularly football fans but would be interested in the experience and the company. The decision will also be based on whether they are feeling up to it on the evening. I would enjoy showing off the stadium, they would enjoy the evening. It just feels too much of a palava to even make the offer.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham

Love the Rupert quip :lolol:

A good summary of where many stand, imho. Not just the elderly, also some loyal folk in their 40’s and 50’s. Life’s complicated just now, gone are the days of simply leaving home with your keys and money. More admin is burdensome, it’s offputting.

Exactly. I have to do enough admin as part of my day job. Just to go to the game I have to remember to charge phone in advance, remember to update Covid pass, remember phone, remember card (no money), remember ID. Away games are much easier for some reason!!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Maybe the club should do away with the discount for owning a ST ? If people aren’t buying them to go to every game then why should the individual match ticket be cheaper than for non ST holders ? I’m playing Devil’s Advocate but can’t you see that there is always a counter argument that also makes sense ?

Season tickets should always be cheaper because it's guaranteed revenue. I suppose if they wanted to make a change on that score, perhaps it could be less of a discount for direct debit compared to paying the year up front.

The whole point of this is that a lot of people who want to swap tickets ARE buying them with the intention of going every week but sometimes life gets in the way. It would surely be easy to limit the number of swaps allowed as happened in the past to be fair on those who very occasionally simply can't make it and would prefer for the seat not to be wasted.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Why should you have to pay £5 admin fee? What admin? it's all done digitally. In a large proportion of cases the person taking the ticket will be reimbursing the season ticket holder already. It's simple; we should be able to transfer our ticket to any registered Brighton fan with a fan number, and then the ground will be full for matches and we won't have a repeat embarrassment like the Wolves match...

Please stop using the Wolves game in this discussion. That had everything to do with covid fears.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A pendant would write:-

it's not your seat - you just rent it.

I'm just grateful I'm not 'that' arse-biscuit.

Which is fair......but irrelevant....the point for me is the club have made empty seats far more likely. I guess they're still getting the rent off me so don't actually care whether it's occupied or not :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Please stop using the Wolves game in this discussion. That had everything to do with covid fears.

It had "a lot" to do with Covid but certainly not "everything" because:

a) Anyone who was Covid nervous could not just pass on the ticket to someone who isn't and
b) The team have hardly been serving up goals and wins at home when at full strength. Many who understand the club would have known it would have been even worse when we were trying to get it called off. I, for example, have a lovely bottle of Talisker sitting in the cupboard waiting for Christmas that was paid for by Paddy Power's failure to realise the same.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Which is fair......but irrelevant....the point for me is the club have made empty seats far more likely. I guess they're still getting the rent off me so don't actually care whether it's occupied or not :shrug:

I can't see that being true after the huge effort they have made to get transport options available for Boxing Day

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I can't see that being true after the huge effort they have made to get transport options available for Boxing Day

I'm really mixed on this.

I really appreciate the help given, and I'm taking advantage of it. That said, with a guesstimate of 20 - 25k attending imho, and the money in the back pocket from our Skymasters, it's in their interests to pull out all the stops in this particular instance.

I think I'm erring on the side of appreciating the gesture.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

So not that irrelevant after all.

Oh and I should write.
I used to take colleagues for one off games.
I have converted my boss and his son to Albion + members and semi regular attendees.
They even turned up at their last game with another father and son.

All that's over now as I can't be doing with the faff.

But I'll not get into a tizzy over it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wonder what PB's response would have been back in the days of "Gulls Eye" etc ??

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

It depends if he was representing a board that were trying to ruin the the football club. I don't think he is, is he?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Come close Ill tell you a secret. If you use the ticket on your phone you can view the qr code, simply screen shot the qr code and give it to said friend. As long as theyre not a knobhead they should be golden getting in.

Probably works great - right up to the point where somebody decides to check the Google Pay 'details' page against 'your' id and/or covid status :dunce:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
To save me scrolling back Has Boza posted his discussion with club. Assume it will be same as Wearebrighton received

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I know I am in the minority here(probably of one), and I fully expect to get flak and abuse-but I seriously dont get why anyone is getting upset about this

I knew from the day I got a season ticket that officially we weren't meant to give them to anyone else to use,(excepting the upgrade that is allowed a certain number of times I believe) that is nothing new.
There are numerous threads and comments on here going back years about people using others season tickets asking were they checked, etc so it is not a secret that it wasnt officially allowed, and there have been instances where fans who did "sell" their tickets to others were banned (Fusion for example), and each time there was plenty of comment about tickets not being transferable
We have the annual photo id matching the ticket comments for palace games so again stating ticket owners only

The club made it clear that the sharing scheme was a one off for a one off cost this season to officially allow you to share with another member and at £20 seems pretty good to me.

The ticket exchange is also well publicised as being active only when the games sold out- and not before, again nothing new,

All this outrage that people have bought the ticket and they should be allowed to do what they want is just bollocks, everyone who has a season ticket is and was perfectly aware that they are for personal use only.

Yes its a ball ache with so many changed times and days, but again thats nothing new,

If having a season ticket isnt cost effective for individuals because they cant go to games for whatever reason then i suggest dont have a season ticket and buy matchday ones instead.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Why has literally every other game that has been old been practically sold out in the PL?

5,200 Sunderland fans last night at Arsenal

Wolves sold out vs. us

It was more than COVID.

COVID fears was undoubtedly a large factor. Another one was that many of the newer Albion fans don’t have the appetite to get off their backsides and make their way to Falmer on a cold evening when we aren’t playing one of the big clubs. They don’t care about the empty spaces.

Easier ticket sharing might have had a few more bums on seats but I suspect those who couldn’t be arsed to go wouldn’t have tried very hard to offload their tickets and would’ve had few takers …. “Would you like my ticket, you’ll have to arrange travel at short notice, cos it’s cold and I can’t be arsed to go?”

Accept that some family sharing would have taken place.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why has literally every other game that has been old been practically sold out in the PL?

5,200 Sunderland fans last night at Arsenal

Wolves sold out vs. us

It was more than COVID.

Oh I don't know perhaps it's 11 games without a win.
Stinking the stadium out with turgid anti football.
An inability to even look like scoring a goal.

All from players, coaches and a manager who are unrecognisable from the glorious team performance, at Anfield, when was that...

...8 years ago?

Or does it just feel that long ago.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know I am in the minority here(probably of one), and I fully expect to get flak and abuse-but I seriously dont get why anyone is getting upset about this

I knew from the day I got a season ticket that officially we weren't meant to give them to anyone else to use,(excepting the upgrade that is allowed a certain number of times I believe) that is nothing new.
There are numerous threads and comments on here going back years about people using others season tickets asking were they checked, etc so it is not a secret that it wasnt officially allowed, and there have been instances where fans who did "sell" their tickets to others were banned (Fusion for example), and each time there was plenty of comment about tickets not being transferable
We have the annual photo id matching the ticket comments for palace games so again stating ticket owners only

The club made it clear that the sharing scheme was a one off for a one off cost this season to officially allow you to share with another member and at £20 seems pretty good to me.

The ticket exchange is also well publicised as being active only when the games sold out- and not before, again nothing new,

All this outrage that people have bought the ticket and they should be allowed to do what they want is just bollocks, everyone who has a season ticket is and was perfectly aware that they are for personal use only.

Yes its a ball ache with so many changed times and days, but again thats nothing new,

If having a season ticket isnt cost effective for individuals because they cant go to games for whatever reason then i suggest dont have a season ticket and buy matchday ones instead.

Don't think you've fully understood the issues some of us have with it. For me at least it's not 'do as I want' and it's not about cost at all - it's 'please allow me to share - very occasionally - with a casual visitor who isn't a member, and I'm happy to pay a fee to do so'. There is no (within T&C) means of doing this.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Don't think you've fully understood the issues some of us have with it. For me at least it's not 'do as I want' and it's not about cost at all - it's 'please allow me to share - very occasionally - with a casual visitor who isn't a member, and I'm happy to pay a fee to do so'. There is no (within T&C) means of doing this.

OK, but the point here is that the club disagree and that’s that. Posts on here are getting more and more extreme eg sacking Barber and invoking the Gull’s Eye protests. There is absolutely no perspective and people just seem to want their own way. I’m wondering whether they behave like this in other areas of their life. ‘No, I don’t like the rules in my local pub, GP, supermarket, library etc and I MUST be listened to otherwise everyone has to be sacked.’

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here