Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Season Ticket Farce @PaulBarber

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You are missing the point. Charging fans for just passing on their tickets to friends and family, obviously not selling, is WRONG.

But still fans haven’t lost out. If they don’t sign up, it costs nothing, they lose nothing. That is what I was pointing out

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Most other PL clubs like Spurs or Arsenal or Chelsea or Brentford or Palace nearly all come via train and buses and public transport and pay for the privilege. Brighton fans don’t. It’s a benefit all ticket holders benefit from. Why don’t other clubs offer it then ?

No its not, supporters coaches no longer receive any subsidy.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The former, I'm sure you're in a much better place than I to determine the latter.

Im afraid not. But I’m assuming we’re both generating obscene amounts of cash simply through this exchange alone.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Well don’t share your ticket. Your no worse off.

Unless your talking about fans selling their tickets to others, which was never allowed anyway.

Nonsense argument

I think you have a nonsense argument as you simply dismiss others who choose to act kindly to folk in a one-off manner.

We are all, as a society, worse off if petty rules end up squeezing the joy from life. These are petty rules and many people here like to use their ticket as an act of kindness once or twice a season and now don't due to high one-off cost or inconvenience.

Paul Barber has maybe got this right by the letter of the law but humans also recognize feeling and emotion and spirit. Many of us have emotional attachment that has been slowly eroded through these kind of petty actions in recent years.

It is great if you and Chailey and a few others are happy with the situation, but there are many of us who are not and it's pretty sad to have our concerns completely dismissed out of hand, sending us further along the road of disillusionment.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think you have a nonsense argument as you simply dismiss others who choose to act kindly to folk in a one-off manner.

We are all, as a society, worse off if petty rules end up squeezing the joy from life. These are petty rules and many people here like to use their ticket as an act of kindness once or twice a season and now don't due to high one-off cost or inconvenience.

Paul Barber has maybe got this right by the letter of the law but humans also recognize feeling and emotion and spirit. Many of us have emotional attachment that has been slowly eroded through these kind of petty actions in recent years.

It is great if you and Chailey and a few others are happy with the situation, but there are many of us who are not and it's pretty sad to have our concerns completely dismissed out of hand, sending us further along the road of disillusionment.

Yep exactly, the inability to simply pass on a ticket once or twice a season to avoid an empty seat, allied to an immensely condescending dismissal of any view other than his own is pretty poor. With no waiting list, Covid impact and a now quite loud and obvious cohort of disaffected STHs you’d hope the CEO would be a bit more in tune rather than having a pop at fans.

He’s done a lot of damage with that response in my book.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
But still fans haven’t lost out. If they don’t sign up, it costs nothing, they lose nothing. That is what I was pointing out

Interesting for somebody defending club. Cost has nothing to do with it. I missed 3 games last full season ( 2 were day before game ) I gave my ticket away to 3 different people that couldnt normally afford to attend. This was a cost to me of about £160 but at no time did I think I had wasted money. However I do think it is a complete waste to leave seat empty.

Bang on and well said.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I

I did pay for it, but I don’t agree with it.

I just think it’s an issue that has been blown out of proportion and is being used as an excuse / cover for many other things or complaints.

The fact people think that the wolves game was 10k light has anything to do with this is delusion. I couldn’t have given away my ticket on Facebook for wolves or Brentford if I tried.

I also find it laughable that WAB urge the club to spend £30M on a striker, yet asking the fans to pay £20 is hugely insulting. Get some perspective on it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting for somebody defending club. Cost has nothing to do with it. I missed 3 games last full season ( 2 were day before game ) I gave my ticket away to 3 different people that couldnt normally afford to attend. This was a cost to me of about £160 but at no time did I think I had wasted money. However I do think it is a complete waste to leave seat empty.

100%….but apparently ‘this season’s average no-show figures at the Amex are tracking only very slightly higher than our promotion-winning season’ (if that is true, it’s only because of the huge number of evening games we had in the Championship)

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Well don’t share your ticket. Your no worse off.

Unless your talking about fans selling their tickets to others, which was never allowed anyway.

Nonsense argument

No it isn’t a nonsense argument, it’s a highly valid one as argued by many on here.

You may not agree with it - but that doesn’t make it nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No it isn’t a nonsense argument, it’s a highly valid one as argued by many on here.

You may not agree with it - but that doesn’t make it nonsense.

Explain to me how season ticket holders are financially worse off ? Unless they were selling their tickets when they couldn’t go - they aren’t

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I did pay for it, but I don’t agree with it.

I just think it’s an issue that has been blown out of proportion and is being used as an excuse / cover for many other things or complaints.

The fact people think that the wolves game was 10k light has anything to do with this is delusion. I couldn’t have given away my ticket on Facebook for wolves or Brentford if I tried.

I also find it laughable that WAB urge the club to spend £30M on a striker, yet asking the fans to pay £20 is hugely insulting. Get some perspective on it

Absolute rubbish.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Explain to me how season ticket holders are financially worse off ? Unless they were selling their tickets when they couldn’t go - they aren’t

I’m not getting involved in argument with you. I’m not going to change your mind.

I’m just pointing out your lack of acceptance of others opinion.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m not getting involved in argument with you. I’m not going to change your mind.

I’m just pointing out your lack of acceptance of others opinion.

I accept it - but I’m a realist. Nothing will change this season.

The club will decide for next season I assume based on how much they earnt from it vs actual attendance. Fans opinions are unlikely to form much of an opinion.

Or I can see season tickets going up, but include option to share - but only to people with memberships at £10 or so per season

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The inclusion of transport with the match day ticket is an excellent and praiseworthy scheme. One thing about it, though, is that the transport surcharge is charged to everyone, whether they use the public transport available or not. How much more sense it would have been then to stick another £20 or £25 on the ST prices to cover sharing? - maybe use something similar to the Liverpool model.
I don't think that would wind up as many people as Barber's convoluted nightmare of a plan; automatically including a travel surcharge in the ticket price didn't seem to cause too much aggro.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017

Couldn’t agree more with the sentiment expressed here. True the ST holder is financially no worse off if they can’t share, but there’s the ability to do an easy kindness that is denied the ST holder under the club’s current system when the ST holder has already paid for their season ticket.

When every interaction with an institution is transactional, it erodes goodwill and reduces the relationship from institution/supporter to service provider/customer.

It’s the way the world’s been going for the last 40 years, and it’s been carefully engineered, the club aren’t responsible for what’s a societal change, but there’s a marked difference. Stop providing a product that entertains customers, and they’ll stop giving up their time and money.

I’ve seen a couple of threads already from people who just aren’t having fun watching us grind out single goal wins/losses/draws. To me it’s partly a consequence of how much progress we’ve made and the strength of opposition we’re facing, but I can’t blame people who aren’t having fun for looking elsewhere. It’s my belief that the club policy on this will increase the number of ST holders who don’t renew next season. Mr Barber may need to see just how many of those allegedly on the waiting list are willing and able to actually purchase a ST next time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Couldn’t agree more with the sentiment expressed here. True the ST holder is financially no worse off if they can’t share, but there’s the ability to do an easy kindness that is denied the ST holder under the club’s current system when the ST holder has already paid for their season ticket.

When every interaction with an institution is transactional, it erodes goodwill and reduces the relationship from institution/supporter to service provider/customer.

It’s the way the world’s been going for the last 40 years, and it’s been carefully engineered, the club aren’t responsible for what’s a societal change, but there’s a marked difference. Stop providing a product that entertains customers, and they’ll stop giving up their time and money.

I’ve seen a couple of threads already from people who just aren’t having fun watching us grind out single goal wins/losses/draws. To me it’s partly a consequence of how much progress we’ve made and the strength of opposition we’re facing, but I can’t blame people who aren’t having fun for looking elsewhere. It’s my belief that the club policy on this will increase the number of ST holders who don’t renew next season. Mr Barber may need to see just how many of those allegedly on the waiting list are willing and able to actually purchase a ST next time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the basis half-season tickets are being flogged, I don’t think there’s much of a waiting list. Think we’re going to see the biggest number of non-renewals so far…….

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Just seen the Barber piece and I'm firmly with Scotty Mac on this one.

"No shows only slightly higher than the promotion season" chinny reckon Barbs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here