Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls Party

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can't believe I can't see this on here.

From the club website:

A new political party, the Seagulls Party, has been launched this afternoon at a press conference in Lewes.The new party is registered with the Electoral Commission and intends to field candidates at future elections. Other objectives include political campaigning in support of the proposed Community Stadium at Falmer. Leader of the Seagulls Party, Paul Samrah said, "With the new round of council elections less than a year away, we believe the time is right for the launch of this new political party."Recent developments - including selective photo editing in council publications - have brought Lewes District Council's integrity into question. In particular, the continued obduracy of the council and their complete disregard for the view of thousands of local residents has led us to take this action."We have strong support right across the Lewes District, from Newick to Newhaven and from Seaford to Saltdean - evidenced last December by over 5,000 Lewes District residents signing a petition in less than a week."Make no mistake, we are very serious in our aims. Anyone looking for a precedent need look no further than the Valley Party which 15 years ago attracted over 14,000 votes in favour of a local stadium, when it fought local elections in south east London."

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Vote Seagulls! Terrible state of affairs that it's needed anyway, of course, but if it gets ONE of those revolting horrible scumbags out of office, then I've no doubt it's a very fine thing to be doing.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It is a shame that it has come to this, politics should not be hijacked this way, but with those cretins in power this may be the only way to get rid of them.

All the best Paul, I'm sure you'll make it have an impact, and to everyone who used NSC and lives in the Lewes area, you have to get them elected next year, regardless of the developments on the stadium.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
one thing it will tell us though.......are the people of Lewes prepared to accept a candidate who is a single platform person and basically doesn't give a monkeys about Lewes apart from bringing down a Liberal candidate.

it will be interesting.

BTW The Charlton thing was totally different in that it was in the electoral area that the valley was being re-opened in, this is a bit different.

GO Paul!!!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Superphil said:
It is a shame that it has come to this, politics should not be hijacked this way
Well, hijacking's a bit strong. But it's the best to way to respond to what LDC have been doing, i.e. abusing power. And if the only alternative is the Tories? :nono:

Can I join this party and be a member of another political party too? My other lot don't really feature in Lewesian politics. ;)

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Great idea - long overdue. The Valley Party didn't just get loads of votes, they unseated the councillor who'd chaired the Planning committee at Greenwich Council. He got so upset at the count that he assaulted one of the Charlton campaigners outside the Town Hall. :lolol: (sound familiar?)

Just one mild gripe, why announce this today? With England setting off for Germany wouldn't it have had more impact just after the World Cup?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
zefarelly said:
what a load of bollocks ! f***ing waste of time and money IMO

I think a large proportion of Lewes residents are upset that their money has been thrown about without any kind of referendum. They have a monopoly of the district council and that is not a good thing.

Even if this just raises the profile of the whole case, then it is worthwhile. This is an opportunity to bring it to the forefront again and remind people that we battle on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here