Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls Party Official Result

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Tom Hark said:
I get the feeling that the cumulative effect of yesterday's result and next month's rally at the Lib Dem conference may be that LDC start to soften their stance on Falmer. Certainly, one or two of the ruling junta in LDC may start to realise that the behind-closed-doors game is up, and may bail out 'for personal reasons'. Others may then take flight before the High Court hearing.

Now, how about one or other of the official pro-Falmer bodies starting an online petition to press home the point? Given a month, it should be perfectly possible to present Ming with a printed-out petition with a six-figure number of names on it deploring the local Lib-Dems anti-Falmer stance. And the positive aspect is that this time it doesn't need to be restricted to the constituents of LDC. It can be bounced around tinternet as only NSC knows how. Keep the pressure on.

Well? ???

Well, yes! I'll sign it :thumbsup:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
That is a fantastic result and I'm really proud of everyone involved.

There are few things in this world quite so heartening as people standing up for what they believe in and making others stand up and take notice of this.

Not too shabby at all and no provides a platform for the future, both of our beloved club and the Lewes district

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
And hadn't the Tory positioned himself as pretty pro-Albion? That considered, it's not a bad showing.

Wait until we can campaign PROPERLY in the full-on local elections, Lewes.

You bastards.

The Tory candidate was a cunning bar-steward. His election material said he "supported the need for Brighton & Hove Albion to have a new stadium" or words to that effect. Note the absence of the 'F' word. However I do know that his material led to some people saying he supported Falmer. I don't actually know whether he did/does.

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
Excellent effort and certainly enough to make the Lib Dems revise their assessment of the type of threat that the Seagulls Party could be to them.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Superb result for the Seagulls. Well done Ed and all the workers. It's an especially good result considering the incinerator issue. I have been posting on here for months that stopping the incinerator is THE issue here in Seaford and Newhaven and unfortunately for us the Lib Dems are seen as the party that can stop it.

As an aside, the question I keep asking the anti incinerator lobby is if no incinerator what do we do with the rubbish? Dig another flipping hole in the South downs? Generally I get some vague response about recycling but I'm not convinced that we will achieve a recycle rate sufficient to not have rubbish left over.

Anyway, I think we have to show the Lewes DC voters that the Lib Dems are not trustworthy in their anti Falmer campaign and with luck by May we will at least have the High Court Verdict which may show Lewes in a bad light.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Great try Lord B, we'll get them next time. ( Sorry I'm late but I've been away) :drink:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Ed, like dougdeep, just back from hols. Fantastic effort - very well done. It'll be interesting to see how the LibDems react to this. Hopefully some councillors will begin to realise that there is a very real chance that they may lose their position come next May.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Gaffer said:
Superb result for the Seagulls. Well done Ed and all the workers. It's an especially good result considering the incinerator issue. I have been posting on here for months that stopping the incinerator is THE issue here in Seaford and Newhaven and unfortunately for us the Lib Dems are seen as the party that can stop it.

As an aside, the question I keep asking the anti incinerator lobby is if no incinerator what do we do with the rubbish? Dig another flipping hole in the South downs? Generally I get some vague response about recycling but I'm not convinced that we will achieve a recycle rate sufficient to not have rubbish left over.

Anyway, I think we have to show the Lewes DC voters that the Lib Dems are not trustworthy in their anti Falmer campaign and with luck by May we will at least have the High Court Verdict which may show Lewes in a bad light.

Not living in the area, I don't know much (if anything) about the Incinerator Issue...is it likely to be still on the agenda by May 2007? If so, it could prevent the Seagulls Party making headway....

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Dies Irae said:
I am not really convinced abouit that. they are comitted to the court case and all the posturing aside, they are going to have to go ahead with that.

As with any court case, the plaintiff can at any time, pull out.

Nobody is actually committed until it starts.

However, the fact they have and are spending money means that in order to have a chance to get it back they need to go to court. The offer from the Treasury solicitor to pay their costs if the court action was avoided is possibly now timed out.

Of course, going to court doesn't guarantee they will get their costs.

So in summary - they had an offer to get what they publicly claimed they were after (the decision reviewed and issues clarified) for free, they didn't like this on a technicality (or more likely because it didn't delay things enough). So they now are going to court to get what they claim they wanted but stand a very real chance of having to pay big bucks for it.

That sounds really sensible to me. Does it you?

Saturday 19 August

The Argus COMMENT

Seagulls Swoop

THE pro-Falmer Seagulls party will have turned a few heads by polling upwards of 350 votes in its first election.

Despite the pre-election fanfare this was never a poll which the party, formed only five weeks ago, had any chance of winning.

People in the Ouse Valley and Ringmer ward of Lewes District Council had more pressing matters such as the proposed waste incinerator at Newhaven on their minds when they entered the ballot box.

That Ed Bassford achieved 22 per cent of the total votes cast and beat the Labour candidate to third place is remarkable.

It is evidence that significant numbers of voters in the district are opposed to Lewes District Council's High Court challenge of the Falmer stadium planning permission.

If Ed Bassford can gain so many votes after three weeks, Lib Dem and Tory bigwigs on the council must be worried the Seagulls could swoop and peck a big hole in their majorities at next May's district elections.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Now that ARS are behind The Seagulls Party there will be no stopping our rise.

Lood Ernest of Phuket has a good ring to it as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
El Presidente said:
Now that ARS are behind The Seagulls Party there will be no stopping our rise.

Lood Ernest of Phuket has a good ring to it as well.

Behind every great man is a woman, step forward Ting Tong

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Lord Bracknell said:
People in the Ouse Valley and Ringmer ward of Lewes District Council had more pressing matters such as the proposed waste incinerator at Newhaven on their minds when they entered the ballot box.

The voters must have been very thin if any of them actually entered the ballot box. Perhaps the Argus meant the polling booth.

Last edited:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Lord Bracknell said:
Saturday 19 August

The Argus COMMENT

Seagulls Swoop

If Ed Bassford can gain so many votes after three weeks, Lib Dem and Tory bigwigs on the council must be worried the Seagulls could swoop and peck a big hole in their majorities at next May's district elections.
be afraid LDC
be very afraid
seagulls party are gonna get ya

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Back from hols,and absolutely chuffed!

Great to be a member of such a kick-ass party.

Bloody well done (as LDC will be before long.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here