Con 521
Lab 41

Ed took 22% of the vote.
Very well done sir.:clap2: :clap2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
interesting

is this a Tony Blair, we only got 22% of the vote but we won really moment.

ah well....onwards and upwards.

How manyy votes did the Lib Dem get last time?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
However the Lib Dems will no doubt argue that this is an endorsement of their actions, bearing in mind that the previous councillor was an independent.

Bad luck Ed.

:(

Fine performance that :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
And hadn't the Tory positioned himself as pretty pro-Albion? That considered, it's not a bad showing.

Wait until we can campaign PROPERLY in the full-on local elections, Lewes.

You bastards.

1066gull

Nice foothold. They were never going to win, but tkaing 22% is a huge victory that is helping the Tories

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Curious Orange said:
However the Lib Dems will no doubt argue that this is an endorsement of their actions, bearing in mind that the previous councillor was an independent.

Bad luck Ed.

:(

The previous encumbent turned independant after being elected as a Liberal Democrat candidate. So on reflection not a bad showing at all

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
22% for a party only formed a few weeks ago is fine going, especially as this is such a rural ward, I'm sure we'll make a real impression in next year's local elections especially in the towns.

Well done Ed :clap2::clap2:

Thanks to everyone for their support and all the good wishes that have been sent to me over the last few days.

The size of my vote has clearly rattled both of the main parties in the ward and, at the count, it was amusing to watch the Tory and the Lib Dem in conversation with each other about how much support they had lost to this new-fangled force in local politics.

Serves them both right, I say, for dismissing us as an irrelevance - they genuinely expected us to get hardly any votes at all. And it serves BOTH parties right for combining at the LDC Cabinet meeting last November to agree to go ahead with the High Court case.

I've lived in this ward for over thirty years and it's a very long time since it hasn't been represented by a Lib Dem councillor. So it's no surprise locally that they won again tonight.

A major factor that played in the Lib Dems favour is that the biggest issue in the ward is the Newhaven incinerator (which will be built only a couple of hundred yards outside the ward boundary in South Heighton). This is seen as a project of the Conservative County Council and the Lib Dems have built a reputation over the past few YEARS as the main party that is opposing this. So I'm not surprised at their victory. Lib Dem support in South Heighton was particularly strong and they fought the election there on that issue.

The Seagulls Party would never have chosen this particular ward as the place for our first electoral test. And we would have preferred not to be faced with the responsibility of getting an election campaign underway only five weeks after our launch. We've done astonishingly well in the circumstances.

In answer to Dave's question about the vote last time ... Three candidates were elected:- the Independent got 1,123 votes, the Conservative got 877 votes and the Lib Dem got 766 votes. That was before the Newhaven incinerator plan was approved, of course. Both parties have today seen their vote fall, the Conservatives by more than their Lib Dem opponents.

We have demonstrated that we are a genuine force in local politics and I'm proud to have been able to hold up the flag for Seagulls everywhere.

When next May's elections come round, I am sure that we can be a major player - particularly in those wards in Lewes District that elect more than one councillor.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has helped in the campaign. You are stars.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
And hadn't the Tory positioned himself as pretty pro-Albion? That considered, it's not a bad showing.
He tried. He even went out canvassing wearing a BHAFC tie.

So, if you like, the vote went:-

Pro-Albion 921
Anti-Albion 715

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Lord Bracknell said:
Thanks to everyone for their support and all the good wishes that have been sent to me over the last few days.

The size of my vote has clearly rattled both of the main parties in the ward and, at the count, it was amusing to watch the Tory and the Lib Dem in conversation with each other about how much support they had lost to this new-fangled force in local politics.

Serves them both right, I say, for dismissing us as an irrelevance - they genuinely expected us to get hardly any votes at all. And it serves BOTH parties right for combining at the LDC Cabinet meeting last November to agree to go ahead with the High Court case.

I've lived in this ward for over thirty years and it's a very long time since it hasn't been represented by a Lib Dem councillor. So it's no surprise locally that they won again tonight.

A major factor that played in the Lib Dems favour is that the biggest issue in the ward is the Newhaven incinerator (which will be built only a couple of hundred yards outside the ward boundary in South Heighton). This is seen as a project of the Conservative County Council and the Lib Dems have built a reputation over the past few YEARS as the main party that is opposing this. So I'm not surprised at their victory. Lib Dem support in South Heighton was particularly strong and they fought the election there on that issue.

The Seagulls Party would never have chosen this particular ward as the place for our first electoral test. And we would have preferred not to be faced with the responsibility of getting an election campaign underway only five weeks after our launch. We've done astonishingly well in the circumstances.

In answer to Dave's question about the vote last time ... Three candidates were elected:- the Independent got 1,123 votes, the Conservative got 877 votes and the Lib Dem got 766 votes. That was before the Newhaven incinerator plan was approved, of course. Both parties have today seen their vote fall, the Conservatives by more than their Lib Dem opponents.

We have demonstrated that we are a genuine force in local politics and I'm proud to have been able to hold up the flag for Seagulls everywhere.

When next May's elections come round, I am sure that we can be a major player - particularly in those wards in Lewes District that elect more than one councillor.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has helped in the campaign. You are stars.

*stands up*
*salutes*
*hums Jerusalem*
*finishes wine and goes to bed*

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Excellent work LB, a great start for the Seagulls Party.

:bowdown:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Here's a little photographic record of the night:

A statistical moment
count_02.thumb.jpg

Just after the results were announced
count_04.jpg

The newly elected man who plans to put Ringmer's interest first
count_03.jpg

The Conservative candidate who was still trying to work out just how many hundreds of votes he might have lost to the Seagulls Party!
count_05.thumb.jpg

Seagulls!!
count_06.jpg

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
That is very good work by all - Well done Lord B and Roz for the photos.

Nice to see Yorkie back on NSC too
:clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here