Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scumbag [racist Charlton] fans

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Not that im defending these guys at all because what they were singing was disgusting! But then you need to look at how Leeds fans glorify the death of the Man Utd Munich air crash and how other fans glorify the death of Leeds fans getting stabbed in Turkey..

how is that any different?

Because white people died so that's ok. Non whites can't be racists. People prove me wrong please.

Girl gang who kicked woman in the head while yelling 'kill the white slag' freed after judge hears 'they weren't used to drinking because they're Muslims'

What would of happened if it was reverse like kill the Paki slags? 6 years? More?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070562/Muslim-girl-gang-kicked-Rhea-Page-head-yelling-kill-white-slag-FREED.html

One4the.road

Jan 10, 2011
Poor chaps being jailed ****ing shocking .... Heard many songs over the years munich 1958 stands out .. Ffs hope they appeal

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Oh..OK.

He chanted ..."British Soldiers burn in hell" during the two minute silence on Remembrance day, and was convicted of actions......" likely to cause harrassment, harm and distress".

A £50.00 fine....hmmmmmmm.

Note; I understand the fine was low as he lived on benefits.

Well, I think he was fined for the poppy burning rather than the chanting.
He recieved benefits as he was a part time worker....
Remember, that under the law, and not emotional law, the poppy is the symbol of a registered charity.
It was insulting....I found it insulting.. but legally, its a symbol of a charity....and the charge was insulting behaviour.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Exactly this. There is a huge rise in open racism in this country at present, as demonstrated by all the new neo-Nazi groups that have popped up in the past few years, a lot of it revolving around football. 'Harsh' sentencing may have a deterrent effect on others, something very much needed where such racism is concerned. Also this case has taken nearly two years to come to court, so it's hardly a kneejerk reaction, but one based on a well built up case, involving dozens of witness statements, etc. Each case is taken on its own merit, and if the "they wouldn't have been jailed if they'd been ethnic, they'd have all been given free council houses, quack quack quack" divwits on here can't see that, can I ask them a question - how long a custodial sentence did that woman who was filmed on a racist rant on a Croydon tram end up getting? Answer: None, she was given community service. As I say, every case is judged on its own merits, and the length of these pillocks' sentences merely illustrates quite how vile their behaviour must have been. And the person who suggested it might just have been an one-off must live on Planet Loopyfruit - the sort of people who would even know a Stephen Lawrence chant don't strike me as the sort of people who would only sing it once.

Spot on. Good perspective from a Charlton fan. People often forget that there are several different rationales in setting sentencing -- it's not only about retribution or protecting the public, but it can also importantly be about deterrence and giving messages to broader groups of people who might be inclined to act in the same way.. It's clear (and I know this from personal experience and observation, having lived in an earlier part of my life for many years in Eltham, very close to the place in Well Hall road where Lawrence was killed), that there is a long-standing and deeply entrenched racist culture in parts of the white community in this part of London. The ease with which Lawrence's killers went to ground, the support they had in the area, and the difficulty the police had (or at least those of them that weren't themselves part of that culture) in getting people to come forward with evidence were all symptoms of that. It's also no coincidence that when the riots took place in other parts of London and England in 2011, this part of London saw a 'spontaneous' upsurge of white vigilantes 'protecting the community' (even though the riots were actually occurring somewhere else). http://www.channel4.com/news/police-clash-with-vigilantes-in-eltham
As fataddick says, there is likely to be a lot of background to this case and to the perpetrators themselves which makes these sentences more understandable than some people on here suggest.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not that im defending these guys at all because what they were singing was disgusting! But then you need to look at how Leeds fans glorify the death of the Man Utd Munich air crash and how other fans glorify the death of Leeds fans getting stabbed in Turkey..

how is that any different?

Because white people died so that's ok. Non whites can't be racists. People prove me wrong please.

Girl gang who kicked woman in the head while yelling 'kill the white slag' freed after judge hears 'they weren't used to drinking because they're Muslims'

What would of happened if it was reverse like kill the Paki slags? 6 years? More?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070562/Muslim-girl-gang-kicked-Rhea-Page-head-yelling-kill-white-slag-FREED.html

Where is the racist element in mainly white people sing disgusting chants about white players killed in the Munich air disaster?

With regards to the link in the Daily Mail things aren't quite as they seem

From the local paer 'The Mercury'

"Sentencing, Judge Robert Brown said: "This was ugly and reflects very badly on all four of you. Those who knock someone to the floor and kick them in the head can expect to go inside, but I'm going to suspend the sentence." He said he accepted the women may have felt they were the victims of unreasonable force from the victim's partner."

How does the following fit in with the idea that the UK courts are more "lenient" with non-white defendants

"The study, carried out by the Guardian, found black offenders were 44% more likely than white offenders to be sentenced to prison for driving offences, 38% more likely to be imprisoned for public disorder or possession of a weapon and 27% more likely for drugs possession.

Asian offenders were 41% more likely to be sent to prison for drugs offences than their white counterparts and 19% more likely to go to jail for shoplifting."
http://www.theguardian.com/law/2011/nov/25/ethnic-variations-jail-sentences-study

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Is it any wonder when you see some of the opinions expressed on this thread that you can look around in any football crowd and hardly see a non-white face!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Absolutely crazy sentence. I've said it loads of times before, but we are in the age of trial by media. My question is would the sentance have been as harsh if they were singing about a murdered black person that nobody had heard of?

It would be interesting to know if any of them have previous as that usually explains what appears to be a really harsh jail term.

For those saying that they don't care about how harsh the sentance is, you need to have a think about the effect on society of locking people up for a long time for every single misdemenor. Another question is what good are these blokes going to be to society when they get out? Will they have been mixing with violent criminals and thieves for 18 months, possibly coming out wors than when they went in?

Dehumanising people with long spells in prison for crimes that don't warrent it is bad for all of us. Punishments should serve a specific purpose, they should be there just to appease the media.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Well, I think he was fined for the poppy burning rather than the chanting.
He recieved benefits as he was a part time worker....
Remember, that under the law, and not emotional law, the poppy is the symbol of a registered charity.
It was insulting....I found it insulting.. but legally, its a symbol of a charity....and the charge was insulting behaviour.

Oh, I see.

So burning the poppy was worthy of arrest, charge and fine of £50.00. However, being part of a group holding banners and chanting "British soldiers burn in hell" during the two minute silence isn't even worthy of being arrested or charged...?

It was actually a Public Order offence, but the outrage was as a result of dis-belief as to why he wasn't charged with a more serious offence.

He was quoted after the court case as saying.." I don't take any acceptance of the law of this country".

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Exactly this. There is a huge rise in open racism in this country at present, as demonstrated by all the new neo-Nazi groups that have popped up in the past few years, a lot of it revolving around football. 'Harsh' sentencing may have a deterrent effect on others, something very much needed where such racism is concerned. Also this case has taken nearly two years to come to court, so it's hardly a kneejerk reaction, but one based on a well built up case, involving dozens of witness statements, etc. Each case is taken on its own merit, and if the "they wouldn't have been jailed if they'd been ethnic, they'd have all been given free council houses, quack quack quack" divwits on here can't see that, can I ask them a question - how long a custodial sentence did that woman who was filmed on a racist rant on a Croydon tram end up getting? Answer: None, she was given community service. As I say, every case is judged on its own merits, and the length of these pillocks' sentences merely illustrates quite how vile their behaviour must have been. And the person who suggested it might just have been an one-off must live on Planet Loopyfruit - the sort of people who would even know a Stephen Lawrence chant don't strike me as the sort of people who would only sing it once.

When you say "There is a huge rise in open racism in this country" which is demonstrated by "all the new neo-Nazi groups that have popped up in the past few years, a lot of it revolving around football"

Could you care to elaborate...............

The racism issue in football has in recent times centered around the behaviour of players and generally some individuals at matches (a Chelsea fan, a Liverpool fan and a Sunderland fan all spring to mind), but I have not seen these new legions of neo nazi rising like the Orks from middle earth.............which teams are these groups attached too?

Apart from Charlton obviously.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not entirely true

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...rent-full-of-old-white-men-after-all-....html

(and, to give credit where credit's due, Charlton is a club that's done more than most to attract non-white fans, and make them feel comfortable at matches)

I have little knowledge of Premier League crowds so that report is good news. It will be even better when this filters down to the Championship and the other lower leagues :thumbsup:

In the meantime looking through the fans galleries on the club site our progress in this area is very under-whelming

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Blimey. If I'm reading this right I agree with bushy, Easy, a leftie magistrate and an odd looking squirrel. Stupid offenders but OTT sentence.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
In the meantime looking through the fans galleries on the club site our progress in this area is very under-whelming

Yes, but if you look at the census statistics for the percentage of the population in the Sussex area that's non-white, that is also well below the national average (apart from around Crawley....), so even if the Brighton fanbase were an entirely random cross-section of the local population (and I'm not saying it is) you'd really not expect to see that many non-white faces in the crowd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here