Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scumbag [racist Charlton] fans

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Yes, but if you look at the census statistics for the percentage of the population in the Sussex area that's non-white, that is also well below the national average (apart from around Crawley....), so even if the Brighton fanbase were an entirely random cross-section of the local population (and I'm not saying it is) you'd really not expect to see that many non-white faces in the crowd.

Agreed it is lower than the national average but even so the last census shows that nearly 6%, (1 in 17), of those in Brighton are 'non=white' - proportionately way above that seen in a BHAFC crowd

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Yes, but if you look at the census statistics for the percentage of the population in the Sussex area that's non-white, that is also well below the national average (apart from around Crawley....), so even if the Brighton fanbase were an entirely random cross-section of the local population (and I'm not saying it is) you'd really not expect to see that many non-white faces in the crowd.

Some teachers i know refer to East Sussex as the white highlands

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Not sure what this has to do with football. the blokes are dickheads, however why the football banning orders? They might have been to a game, but it was not directed at a club or players, but are banned from football? seems a little harsh and once again football has been dragged down because of it.

What if these guys werent football fans, 1. would their sentances be as harsh? 2. would they have been banned from football?

No and no

Stupid, thick prats, but jail for that...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
In the meantime looking through the fans galleries on the club site our progress in this area is very under-whelming

Under-whelming in what way? From your comments I honestly don't think you really know what you're talking about. You're just blurting out statements for the sake of being seen as anti-racist.

Look at the demographic of Brighton and Sussex and you might get an idea of why there aren't that many black faces at our games, although there are some that I see in the North stand regularly.

London is obviously different, but there are hundreds of sociological reasons why football crowds are still dominated by white people, it's a very complex subject that nobody has really managed to understand the underlying reasons or grasp that it takes decades for these things to change, at least we're moving in the right direction. Much of the media and anti-racist groups tend to just take the easy option and assume that we are all racist, rather than searching for the real reasons. Racism or fear of racism obviously has an effect, but it's not the be all and end all.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Agreed it is lower than the national average but even so the last census shows that nearly 6%, (1 in 17), of those in Brighton are 'non=white' - proportionately way above that seen in a BHAFC crowd

Yes but the Albion draws on a much larger catchment area than B&H which is what those figures relate to. The %s in E and W Sussex are much much lower

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Oh, I see.

So burning the poppy was worthy of arrest, charge and fine of £50.00. However, being part of a group holding banners and chanting "British soldiers burn in hell" during the two minute silence isn't even worthy of being arrested or charged...?

It was actually a Public Order offence, but the outrage was as a result of dis-belief as to why he wasn't charged with a more serious offence.

He was quoted after the court case as saying.." I don't take any acceptance of the law of this country".

Well, I dont make up the law. The judiciary, and the government do....was he charged with the abuse? It was anymore serious than any other public order offence was it?...disrespectful for sure.. insulting, to people who have fought, and relatives very much so...but I dont think our laws are structured for knee jerk reactions, and would imagine their are set tariffs surely? What more serious offence do you think they should have been dealt?
The group was banned by the government..not sure if they have been charged or arrested for anything else..

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Officers in England and Wales issued more than 1,500 cautions for sex crimes including rape – a rise of almost 13 per cent on the 1,300 given in 2010.

The figures were released alongside alarming statistics showing that a staggering one in 20 women is raped or seriously sexually assaulted by the time she is 60. But fewer than one in 30 sees her attacker convicted.

The use of cautions prompted outrage among campaigners.

Tory MP Nick de Bois, who sits on the Justice Committee, said: “It is not acceptable that the police can act as judge and jury by issuing cautions for rape.

“These kinds of offences are far too serious to be dealt with in this fashion. Using cautions does not necessarily serve justice for the victims of crime.”

According to a statistical review published yesterday by the Ministry of Justice, Home Office and Office for National Statistics, around 473,000 adults fall prey to sex attackers each year but only 54,310 sex offences are recorded by police. And just 5,620 offenders are convicted.

The report said that around 78,000 women and men are raped each year on average. Last year just 1,070 rapists were found guilty of a total of 2,461 crimes.

Almost all those convicted – 95 per cent – were jailed, on average for more than eight years and six months.

The review found that one in five women over 16 has been a victim of a sexual offence such as unwanted touching and flashing. And when sex offences were reported to police they were more likely to be solved than other crimes.

Of the 19 cautions issued for rape last year, 16 went to offenders aged 17 or under.

It is not acceptable that the police can act as judge and jury by issuing cautions for rape

Tory MP Nick de Bois, who sits on the Justice Committee

Forty per cent of the 1,532 cautions issued for sexual offences were for sexual assault and another 30 per cent were for sexual activity with minors.

Guidelines say police can issue cautions to offenders who admit their crimes where circumstances such as the age, welfare or mental state of the victim or criminal means it is not in the public interest to prosecute.

Last night, Justice Minister Jeremy Wright said: “We are already looking into how police cautions are being used.

“We shouldn’t remove the right for police officers to exercise discretion but the public are right to expect that people who commit serious crimes will be brought before a court.”

Holly Dustin, director of the End Violence Against Women Coalition, said: “There is clearly a long way to go in improving the criminal justice system’s response to these serious crimes.”

Deputy assistant commissioner Martin Hewitt of the Association of Chief Police Officers said the service had been working hard to improve its response.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Well, I dont make up the law. The judiciary, and the government do....was he charged with the abuse? It was anymore serious than any other public order offence was it?...disrespectful for sure.. insulting, to people who have fought, and relatives very much so...but I dont think our laws are structured for knee jerk reactions, and would imagine their are set tariffs surely? What more serious offence do you think they should have been dealt?
The group was banned by the government..not sure if they have been charged or arrested for anything else..

Therein lies the problem. The law is there.....but as to 'who' gets charged with 'what' is an issue.

I have no issue that those 7 absolute disgusting idiots from London were charged and found guilty. Their sentence however, appears wholly disproportionate to the offence.

It is precisely this sort of draconian sentence.......and what appears a dis-proportionately light sentence for the case you highlighted, that gives the right-wing groups all the ammunition they need to further their causes.

Now, instead of over-whelming revulsion at their chants, there will now be an element of society that starts believing......"that enough is enough". Madness.

If only the extreme left wing could understand that all they do is promote the extreme right wing....and vice-versa.

I prefer the middle ground...it's a safer place and reasoned debate, alongside education is the very, very simple answer.

Oh.......and getting rid of religion....lol.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exactly this. There is a huge rise in open racism in this country at present, as demonstrated by all the new neo-Nazi groups that have popped up in the past few years, a lot of it revolving around football. 'Harsh' sentencing may have a deterrent effect on others, something very much needed where such racism is concerned. Also this case has taken nearly two years to come to court, so it's hardly a kneejerk reaction, but one based on a well built up case, involving dozens of witness statements, etc. Each case is taken on its own merit, and if the "they wouldn't have been jailed if they'd been ethnic, they'd have all been given free council houses, quack quack quack" divwits on here can't see that, can I ask them a question - how long a custodial sentence did that woman who was filmed on a racist rant on a Croydon tram end up getting? Answer: None, she was given community service. As I say, every case is judged on its own merits, and the length of these pillocks' sentences merely illustrates quite how vile their behaviour must have been. And the person who suggested it might just have been an one-off must live on Planet Loopyfruit - the sort of people who would even know a Stephen Lawrence chant don't strike me as the sort of people who would only sing it once.

When you say "There is a huge rise in open racism in this country" which is demonstrated by "all the new neo-Nazi groups that have popped up in the past few years, a lot of it revolving around football"

Could you care to elaborate...............

The racism issue in football has in recent times centered around the behaviour of players and generally some individuals at matches (a Chelsea fan, a Liverpool fan and a Sunderland fan all spring to mind), but I have not seen these new legions of neo nazi rising like the Orks from middle earth.............which teams are these groups attached too?

Apart from Charlton obviously.

Got to agree with cunning fergus here. Britain is FAR less racist now than it was 30 years ago especially around football.

My step dad is black. He never would have gone regularly in the 70s but in the last few years went to a lot of Arsenal games and only stopped because of ill health. I can still remember the days when the NF openly leafleted outside grounds including ours. Now the only reading material outside the Amex is the left leaning fanzine I occasionally contribute to.

You don't hear so much about Combat 18 et al and even England fans have toned it right down. Perhaps even too much. All I can hear at Wembley is the sodding band.

There are pockets of prejudice but they are normally laughable and short lived. Just look at the recent disintegration of the EDL.

There is work to be done in the fight against fascism particularly in certain parts of the country but this sentence and disingenuously claiming racism at football is increasing are not the ways to go about it.

First I agree with bushy. Now cunning fergus. I need a lie down.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
cjd...I dont believe in any religion... I think its bollocks, and any gods on this earth were most likely visitors from somewhere else deep in our past...
Its pretty ridiculous all round really, as the major religions are all pretty much the same, and people fighting, really for centuries over how to pray to the same bloke, but at the end of the day, to use a football cliche.. Ill defend the right of somebody to pray to some weird entity.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I assumed they were , drunk , sober , whatever eighteen months for fvcking words , , jesus wept , stuart hall got fifteen months.

Complaints were made and the sentence was ruled unduly lenient. It was increased to 30months. (Technically, got originally got 114months. But he got to serve all his sentences at the same time - all covered in this old thread).

Really, I thought the youngest one he went for was aged about seven?

Ages ranged from 9-17. Details of each count http://www.courtnewsuk.co.uk/?news_id=33371

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You can get arrested for burning a poppy, depending on the circumstances - you can even get arrested for posting a picture of a poppy being burnt on Twitter!!!!

It's not so much the action that you get arrested and/or convicted for but rather the effect it has or is likely to have on others.

In this case "
"Witnesses said they felt intimidated and feared there was a real and significant risk of violence"

You get a £50 fine for burning the Poppy and a £350 fine for burning the Koran.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here