Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scumbag Cyclist Gets £2,200 Fine For Killing Girl He Could Have Avoided

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Yes like the cock in Crawley who had a fire engine up his arse with blues and twos on who didn't notice and then complained when he was shunted unceremoniously into a field as the fire engine had chance to :lolol:

To cap it off the stupid chav was then prosecuted for due care and attention :lolol:
Would have been better if it was a cop car and they then prosecuted for failure to stop.

we do seemed to have sleeped walked into anti-social behaviour whether by kids, grannies, cyclists,car drivers, white van man and drunks and bats in bra's?

Completely. However, the boss was heading my way so I had to post then look like I was doing some work.

Bloody bosses,

I have the same problem here?

Haven't they got better things to do?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah, and that leads me onto the thing I find most annoying trate amongst some cyclists. Riding along with a fecking iPod playing!!! How can you concentrate on the road when you can't hear what's going on?!?!?!? EEJUT!!!

Wifey goes out with her ipod earphones wrapped around her chin strap.
Amazingly she is using it to improve her French, so she's riding along conjugating verbs and such like. Luckily she's so slow, she won't hurt anyone.

As for annoyances - General rudeness, like not thanking a driver when they've let you through. Talk about making life dificult for yourself.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wow, this thread has prompted some strong reactions.

Personally I was nearly in tears last night watching the TV news interview with poor Rhiannon's parents. They were just imagining their daughter's reaction at this fuckin' prick on a bike bearing down on her and her friends at 20mph while screaming 'Move, Im not stopping' on a quiet residential pavement. As her brave mum and dad said, trying to come to terms with what happened: 'She would have heard this man shouting at her and her friends, she would have been confused, she wouldn't have known what to do'.

In fact, I'm almost in tears all over again, just replaying the interview in my head. Maybe cos I've got a young daughter myself. My fault, I'm sure :down:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well I'd thought I'd seen it all until tonight. Part of the cycle lane is closed at Vauxhall cross.

Because the cyclist can't use the road (it's one way the other way), they are simply jumping off the closed cycle lane and using the pavement instead.

A 50 yard stretch, not even two metres wide.

I was on that pavement (outside the small Tescos) and had to get out of the way of one cyclist, got pissed off and told another to get off his bike. Big signs telling cyclists to dismount, every single wanker completely ignoring them.

I sat at the bus stop opposite for 20 minutes, waiting for a late bus and every single cyclist did the same.

Blows out the water the claim that it's a minority of cyclists in London.

It isn't I'm sorry.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It wasn't every single cyclist in London. I've been nowhere Vauxhall Cross.

:lolol:

I know, but it really is the epicentre of selfish urban day glow stupidity.

Loads of cycle lanes, but the cyclists just don't get the fact that the pavement isn't for riding on.

Funnily enough, the pavement was closed a few weeks ago at the same spot.

They gave over the cycle lane to pedestrians with big signs telling cyclists to dismount. Completely ignored them.

I'm being serious here, I don't own a car - I walk or take public transport.

There has been a 90% increase in cycle use over the last 8 years in London and there are thousands out there who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a main road.

It's quite a big story up here at the moment (as you are probably aware), the lack of cyclist road skills.

I find the fact that someone particularly with the ride to work scheme can go out and get a subsidised racing bike, put a helmet on and away they go, remarkable. Absolutely remarkable.

But I'll give cyclists one thing, those f***ing bendy buses. I nearly saw a cyclists killed on Trafalgar square a while ago as the back end "whipped" the bloke off the road as the bus took the corner.

Do I think the behavior of the cyclists at Vauxhall tonight, is representative of a lot I see in London ? Yes sadly I do.

I probably don't notice the safe ones, but then I shouldn't. I not arguing that it's the majority of cyclists. I'd like to say, sizeable minority, but to be honest in my experience it's enough for something to be done about it especially as the amount of cyclists is only going to increase.

Rarely goes by when I don't see a cyclists jump a red light or cross a pedestrian crossing when people are walking past. Usually (although tonight was a bit special) I see it many many times during the day.

I'm at Vauxhall a lot, been there most nights over the last few months and beyond the particular circumstances that led to people riding on the pavement tonight - most cyclists simply ignore the signs that tell them to get off their bikes at the breaks in the cycle lanes.

I'd go as far to say that I've never seen a cyclist dismount where the cycle lane finishes. Never.

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Lewes Road, brighton, by Saunders Park. can be hell there waiting for a bus because, as you step out to move across the pavement for the bus, you have also to watch out for cyclists who choose not to use the cycle lanes but prefer the pavements.

I once missed a bus, although it was not a cyclist but an old boy on his cart. I had to stop to avoid being run over by him and the bus sailed on by.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I suppose we're NEVER going to see eye to eye on this one.

For me -- big increase in cycling means fewer cars on the roads (meaning less congestion and fewer accidents), and fewer people squashed up against your armpit, possibly rubbing against you in a pervy way, on the Northern Line.

For you -- a big increase in cycling means thousands of lycra-clad, daygloed-up bastards with really toned thighs, terrorising your hood. (I do have a day-glo coat, but only to keep the rain off and so other road users can SEE me!)

You're right on bus drivers though -- THEY are all ****s.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I suppose we're NEVER going to see eye to eye on this one.

For me -- big increase in cycling means fewer cars on the roads (meaning less congestion and fewer accidents), and fewer people squashed up against your armpit, possibly rubbing against you in a pervy way, on the Northern Line.

For you -- a big increase in cycling means thousands of lycra-clad, daygloed-up bastards with really toned thighs, terrorising your hood. (I do have a day-glo coat, but only to keep the rain off and so other road users can SEE me!)

You're right on bus drivers though -- THEY are all ****s.

Ok, I think we're in a period of transition here. I'm aware of the war between cyclists and motorists and to be honest I'm on the side of the cyclist.

But - the situation has got bad enough for pedestrian organisations :)lolol:) to get involved now.

It's all about respect and respect by cyclists towards pedestrians seems to be lacking, although in my opinion that's a gross understatement.

It's a funny war going on out there to be honest. The last thing I want is to sound like a bike hating anti-eco twat. Problem is that possibly that the many ex-motorist twats out there and now taken to cycling in the same selfish manner.

I don't want to see less cyclists, I just want to see proper provisions for them so they don't take out their frustrations with motorists and bus drivers on me.

Stumpy Tim

Wow, this thread has prompted some strong reactions.

Personally I was nearly in tears last night watching the TV news interview with poor Rhiannon's parents. They were just imagining their daughter's reaction at this fuckin' prick on a bike bearing down on her and her friends at 20mph while screaming 'Move, Im not stopping' on a quiet residential pavement. As her brave mum and dad said, trying to come to terms with what happened: 'She would have heard this man shouting at her and her friends, she would have been confused, she wouldn't have known what to do'.

In fact, I'm almost in tears all over again, just replaying the interview in my head. Maybe cos I've got a young daughter myself. My fault, I'm sure :down:

Do you write for the Daily Mail Tom, because this post would fit in nicely. What do you expect the parents to say? "Our daughter has been silly and probably deserved to be hit by a cyclist"... of course not. They'll imagine their daughter as the angel they believe her to be. And to be fair, that's totally natural.

But we're not emotionally attached and shouldn't just believe anything in the paper. Unfortunately to many people are completely willing to read a headline & believe it without questioning the facts.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do you write for the Daily Mail Tom, because this post would fit in nicely. What do you expect the parents to say? "Our daughter has been silly and probably deserved to be hit by a cyclist"... of course not. They'll imagine their daughter as the angel they believe her to be. And to be fair, that's totally natural.

But we're not emotionally attached and shouldn't just believe anything in the paper. Unfortunately to many people are completely willing to read a headline & believe it without questioning the facts.

Pasted the original news item from the BBC website Tim. They're dead slow with the news cos they try to get it right.

You got any idea what the reaction time would be to get out of the way of a random cyclist bearing down on you at 20 mph bellowing 'move because I'm not stopping'? Me Neither. But it takes a couple of seconds just to say it. Then another couple of seconds, maybe more, for a bunch of kids to register if the random bloke's shouting at them, and if so, why, as they're on the footpath? Then another couple of seconds to decide what to do, which way to move. And all the while the prick's bearing down on you at 20 mph. That's a whole lot of seconds during which the cyclist is the only one able to make the collision avoidable.

You've been out of the country too long mate. It's not all chavs and hoodies, as you've obviously decided this girl and her friends were. Maybe you should read a better class of news report.

Stumpy Tim

Pasted the original news item from the BBC website Tim. They're dead slow with the news cos they try to get it right.

You got any idea what the reaction time would be to get out of the way of a random cyclist bearing down on you at 20 mph bellowing 'move because I'm not stopping'? Me Neither. But it takes a couple of seconds just to say it. Then another couple of seconds, maybe more, for a bunch of kids to register if the random bloke's shouting at them, and if so, why, as they're on the footpath? Then another couple of seconds to decide what to do, which way to move. And all the while the prick's bearing down on you at 20 mph. That's a whole lot of seconds during which the cyclist is the only one able to make the collision avoidable.

You've been out of the country too long mate. It's not all chavs and hoodies, as you've obviously decided this girl and her friends were. Maybe you should read a better class of news report.

Actually, I haven't decided that she or he was in the wrong. I've decided that I don't have the FACTS and so won't go round calling people scum etc without hearing his side of the story.

To prove my point, you admit you don't know what the reaction times are and yet you've decided he's in the wrong. Do we know how far away he was when he said that? Do we know what their reaction was? Do we know whether anyone (cyclist or victim) were drunk?

We barely know anything. So before you decide that he deserves jail time my suggestion would be to get ALL the facts, not one-side of the story from a BBC website. Because that's what the JUDGE & the POLICE & the CPS did, and he wasn't charged with Manslaughter. And the coroner said it was an accident.

That doesn't sell newspapers though

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I can make what I consider a strong case to criticise cyclists but on the other hand knowing how distorted the reporting of the press in this country is I can't help but feel that there's a lot more to this story than we have been led to believe.

I agree there are some truly selfish cyclists but on the other hand there are some awful drivers too. I would rather have all the facts to hand rather than tabloid headlines before making any judgement.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We barely know anything. So before you decide that he deserves jail time my suggestion would be to get ALL the facts, not one-side of the story from a BBC website. Because that's what the JUDGE & the POLICE & the CPS did, and he wasn't charged with Manslaughter. And the coroner said it was an accident.

Care to explain the £2,200 Fine then?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I doubt they think of their daughter as an angel - few parents do. And if she was a bit silly - well that is what teenagers are like. They are not fully formed adults. Teeenagers do daft things and parents of teenagers know this. It is a fact that the connections in the brain are not fully made until people are about 20. It is adults that have to make allowances. In this case we don't know whether she did or didn't do something silly. It seems she was simply in a group talking with her friends.

Whatever happened they would never say "she probably deserved to be hit" - because she didn't. The cyclist shouted his intention and then did it. Again - with a modicom of consideration or common-sense he would have slowed down or stopped. He chose not to - and she lost her life and her family live wth the consequence.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We barely know anything. So before you decide that he deserves jail time my suggestion would be to get ALL the facts, not one-side of the story from a BBC website.

To be fair Tim - that may be where you get your info from - but there was a lot on this case in the papers/radio/tv here. It seems that that was the only charge they could make against him - the maximum fine was £2,500 which he did not get as he did stay around after the incident, and he has never aplogised for what happened. Maybe he is thinking about the private claim that may follow. But the judge's view was apparently that his hands were tied in his judgement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here