Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scumbag Cyclist Gets £2,200 Fine For Killing Girl He Could Have Avoided

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Maybe slightly - but he was on the ROAD according to that report.

Theoretically he might have slowed down as he became aware of people stepping carelessly onto the road, but in practice the onous should surely be on the pedestrian to stay on the pavement and get off the road.

You are a cyclist - I bet you would not dream of riding up to a group of teenagers at speed shouting you are not going to stop. You can expect teenagers to act daft - their brains are not all connected up. They need the benefit of any doubt. It is the adults that should modify their behaviour.

Of course he should have slowed down. Common sense would tell you that. The same as slowing down if you go past a school at going home time. 30 mph may be the limit - but most people see the potential danger and act accordingly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't disagree at all sten and that is probably why he was prosecuted for dangerous cycling. However, nobody here has all the details to hand and yet he is scum in a lot of people's eyes on here based on the one simple fact that he hit the teenager. I wonder how many of the hand-wringers on here regularly drive without a sensible braking distance to the next car?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I don't disagree at all sten and that is probably why he was prosecuted for dangerous cycling. However, nobody here has all the details to hand and yet he is scum in a lot of people's eyes on here based on the one simple fact that he hit the teenager. I wonder how many of the hand-wringers on here regularly drive without a sensible braking distance to the next car?

hand-wringers ? unworthy of you my man.

LC, I'm with you in not making excuses (the bloke is obviously a bit dim) but there may be reasons he didn't slow/stop (like the mugging option). The bit I'm pissed off about is the usual lax journalism and anti-cycling trend that seems fashionable at the moment.

I presume there are a lot of motorists that are angry at cyclists as the cyclist is getting where they need to without lining Gordon Brown's pocket as much.

Agree with you mate, our posts are like a love in.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
hand-wringers ? unworthy of you my man.
Aelred, I agree with you when you say he should have slowed down. I also agree that by not slowing down he was guilty of dangerous cycling.

What I don't like is the NSC kangaroo court proclaiming him scum, arrogant, and all the rest of the rubbish. The truth is that we don't know, unlike the judge. You have to ask yourself how likely it is that this bloke deliberately ploughed into a group of teenagers. And if so, you can't really expect him to have foreseen the death of the kid, surely?

No i appreciate you aren't but it annoys me the fact he could have stopped or altered direction safely but probably thought he would just get close to scare her and probably misjudged it slightly! I know as i have done this myself :glare:

I when i go out on my bike obey all of the highway code as i don't want to go through a red light and end up splattered all over the road.

At the end of the day ALL ROAD USERS should obey red traffic lights etc which would help.

OK i speed but only when it is safe to but would never jump a red light etc

Aye. I travel at different speeds according to the conditions. On residential roads with park cars I slow down and have my fingers on the brakes, on the canals with pedestrians I slow down so I can stop immediately.

On the A roads I cycle like ****.

:laugh:

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Aye. I travel at different speeds according to the conditions. On residential roads with park cars I slow down and have my fingers on the brakes, on the canals with pedestrians I slow down so I can stop immediately.

On the A roads I cycle like ****.

:laugh:

Exactly and that is why you A: haven't mown anyone down B: not been mown down yourself

So you have a bit of common sense and it has worked. Shame all road users aren't the same:lolol:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
You have to ask yourself how likely it is that this bloke deliberately ploughed into a group of teenagers. And if so, you can't really expect him to have foreseen the death of the kid, surely?

I dont think anybody is saying he deliberatly rode into the group of teenagers, What angers people is his lack of action to avoid the accident happening.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Interestingly, the report i heard on the condascending joke that is Radio 1 "newsbeat" said that it is unclear whether she was on the pavement or not - which I notice has not been in reports attempting at a more emotional angle.

If its true that he shouted those words, then he sounds like a bit of a prick, but is there no such thing as an accident anymore? If there WAS evidence he deliberately hit her, then I am sure he'd have faced a different charge. I notice that no prosecutor/police officer has actually stated this. In addition, it really is tragic and a one in a million occurance that she died - an elderly woman stopped a Tour de France rider in his tracks today and got up again.

Do we believe in forgiveness and accidents as a society anymore, or should we just string up everyone? Easy for me to say I know but I do believe that in searching for blame, people are too quick to turn to anger against people who never in their wildest dreams intended what has happened.

Either way, very tragic and RIP. :(

I know the discussion has moved on a bit, but i just wanted to say that i think thats an excellent post :clap::clap:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Aelred, I agree with you when you say he should have slowed down. I also agree that by not slowing down he was guilty of dangerous cycling.

What I don't like is the NSC kangaroo court proclaiming him scum, arrogant, and all the rest of the rubbish. The truth is that we don't know, unlike the judge. You have to ask yourself how likely it is that this bloke deliberately ploughed into a group of teenagers. And if so, you can't really expect him to have foreseen the death of the kid, surely?

I would never use the word scum about anyone. I am sure he did not forsee the death of the girl and the impact it will have on her family and probably on his for the rest of his life. The trouble is that he shouted his intention and took no apparent avoiding action. Like slowing down. Like showing some consideration. Like showing some common sense. Accidents do happen. This one should have been avoided.

And I don't like the kangaroo court either. Or the assumption that somehow because she was in a group of young people they were causing trouble. And good luck with the rugby ...............

Exactly and that is why you A: haven't mown anyone down B: not been mown down yourself

So you have a bit of common sense and it has worked. Shame all road users aren't the same:lolol:

Aye, but I tell thee lad, I've had some near misses:ohmy:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I like everyone else don't know the actually 100% facts, about this.
My problem with cyclist/motorist (don't dare get me started on invalid carriages), is that many people seem to have something more important to do, than concentrate on travelling at life threatening speeds.

The Gadget Show had a car that was a PC on wheels, a mate (sales director) was saying I NEED that so badly. The fact that it was a driving death trap, was neither here or there. Complete madness.

Personally when cycling I am only ever concentrating on the road, the thought of holding onto a car would never cross my mind.

US, you are so wrong thinking 3000 annual deaths on our roads as acceptable. Sure sh*t will happen but all the time people are 'getting away with murder' sadly they always will.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Personally when cycling I am only ever concentrating on the road, the thought of holding onto a car would never cross my mind.
Ah, and that leads me onto the thing I find most annoying trate amongst some cyclists. Riding along with a fecking iPod playing!!! How can you concentrate on the road when you can't hear what's going on?!?!?!? EEJUT!!!

Ah, and that leads me onto the thing I find most annoying trate amongst some cyclists. Riding along with a fecking iPod playing!!! How can you concentrate on the road when you can't hear what's going on?!?!?!? EEJUT!!!

doesn't that also apply to the mega sound systems in cars??????

?????????

?????

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
doesn't that also apply to the mega sound systems in cars??????

Yes like the cock in Crawley who had a fire engine up his arse with blues and twos on who didn't notice and then complained when he was shunted unceremoniously into a field as the fire engine had chance to :lolol:

To cap it off the stupid chav was then prosecuted for due care and attention :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here