Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scumbag Cyclist Gets £2,200 Fine For Killing Girl He Could Have Avoided

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A tree branch falls into the road in a gale, a bike rider swerves to avoid it going into the other lane, a lorry comes the other way at the same time = accident, no amount of rules and regulations is ever going to prevent that death

20 mph.

If road speeds in urban are reduced to 20 mph the number of fatalities drops by a huge % something like down 70% from driving at 40 mph.

I have a meeting now, but someone might be able to confirm the accuratcy of this statement.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Do drink drivers intend to hit people then?

Also are you aware bikes have breaks?
I hate to burst your anti-bike mentality, but have you considered that he was riding in a rough area and was concerned that if he stopped then maybe, just maybe, they'd have mugged his bike and given him a kicking. It's not that uncommon in some inner-city areas according to the cycling forums I go on.

As a pedestrian and cyclist I can admit that some (but very few) cyclists have a complete disregard for the highway code. The same highway code that is currently being blasted as "bias in favour of the motorist".

Oh, and the last part of the Beeb's report earlier in the day (which appears to have been removed to ensure the anti-cycling balance is maintained) said it was unsure if the cyclist was on the road or pavement.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I hate to burst your anti-bike mentality, but have you considered that he was riding in a rough area and was concerned that if he stopped then maybe, just maybe, they'd have mugged his bike and given him a kicking. It's not that uncommon in some inner-city areas according to the cycling forums I go on.

I don't have an anti-nike mentality, i have a strong anti-selfish bastard mentality

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
How's your elbow doing, Mr Woodchip?
Not bad, lots of physio and tricep exercise at the moment. Hopefully be back on the bike mid August for some proper riding again. I really need to get up the tip and get an old racing bike to fit to the turbo trainer.

My fitness must have plummeted in the last 9 weeks.

For those that want to see the damage a crash at 20MPH does to a cyclist check out http://mtb-rides.org.uk/pics/elbow/. Straight over the handlebars. Broken elbow in two places now pinned and wired together.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yeah but still down 35% in the states that have adopted the new measures that is FACT

Why say we cannot get it decreased dramatically?

Because accidents WILL happen, of those 3000 deaths how many could be avoided, about 200 people a year die of objects falling from the sky, a 20 000 000 to 1 chance.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Because accidents WILL happen, of those 3000 deaths how many could be avoided, about 200 people a year die of objects falling from the sky, a 20 000 000 to 1 chance.
If a 20MPH speed limit replaced the current 30MPH limits then this death rate (for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists) would be considerably reduced. That is why the CTC is calling for the 20MPH speed limit.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am not convinced it would be.

USA 42000 deaths - 240 000 000 population
UK 3000 deaths - 60 000 000 population

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
If a 20MPH speed limit replaced the current 30MPH limits then this death rate (for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists) would be considerably reduced. That is why the CTC is calling for the 20MPH speed limit.

30mph limits only account for 20% of the fatalities in this country

It's the 60mph single carriageway roads that account for 55%

BTW nice pics of your elbow :eek:

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
As a pedestrian and cyclist I can admit that some (but very few) cyclists have a complete disregard for the highway code.

Sorry, but the majority of cyclists that I see have absolutely no regard for the highway code.

Drive, walk, cycle around any major town or city and the cnuts ride like f***ing morons.

Jumping lights, cycling on pavements to get through traffic, abusive.

I've witnessed countless accidents involving cyclists and the majority of them were down to the two wheeled, no brained twat with the hat.

....... and when they lean on my car to stop them falling over because they can't be arsed to take their f***ing feet out of their straps :rant:

and relax :smokin:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I am not convinced it would be.

USA 42000 deaths - 240 000 000 population
UK 3000 deaths - 60 000 000 population
OK then. British roads are a safe as they'll ever be. We shouldn't even try to impove this figure people. Carry on as you are.

All you've done by keep quoting those figures is prove that cyclists obviously aren't that bad otherwise there's be more deaths.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
....... and when they lean on my car to stop them falling over because they can't be arsed to take their f***ing feet out of their straps :rant:

and relax :smokin:

I FUCKIN HATE THAT :rant:

Mind you one bloke had a go one day as i pulled away as he wasn't watching the lights change and he fell off :lolol:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
30mph limits only account for 20% of the fatalities in this country

It's the 60mph single carriageway roads that account for 55%

BTW nice pics of your elbow :eek:
So if we can half that 20% then we will have saved a further 300 lives. The problem with 60mph single carriageway figures is that it covers such a large part of the country.

EDIT: Thanks. The graze on my stomach hurt more than my elbow at the time. There's a lot to be said for the bodies natural pain reaction mechanism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here