Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

schools allowing the game to be shown..

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Is it right that schools are allowing lessons to go by the wayside to show the England game on Weds? I am a teacher, and despite my love of the game, I really am not sure that I agree with this...Some schools finish earlier than k/o...but we do not. I am ok, in so much as I have a free lesson anyway, so can go and watch it in peace if I choose not to sit with little people...
Maybe another reason is...I teach in an independent school..so parents are paying for their offspring to watch a footy game! Oh, its Wimbledon this week, can I abandon all my lessons to watch the bloody tennis?! :shootself

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
They've got to protect their attendance records.

Was the same in 2002, we got late starts because of the games against Nigeria and Brazil

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it's the right thing to do. Plenty of kids won't be thinking of anything else, and half an hour isn't going to do any harm is it?

I'm convinced the head at my son's school will end up letting the kids watch it. When the snow comes down, he lets the whole school out onto the playing field in the full knowledge that they can't concentrate on anything other than the snow. Get it out of their system and then they'll want to learn.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
At Downlands in 98 they didnt let u watch it, so we all too mini radios in and the teacher went mental as no one was listening.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
most schools close at 3 anyway dont they? cant see the issue myself

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Essentially it's a choice between looking like a complete **** by refusing and therefore alienating most of the kids and staff who'd like to watch the game, who will be few and far between anyway as most kids will simply bunk off OR just accepting that unfortunately that 90 minutes is pretty much dead time. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

At my work my boss has accepted there'll be no work done for the duration of the game so we're having it shown on all the plasmas around the office and they're even bringing us beers in to make sure we have a good time.

If ALL the England matches fell during work/school hours then it might be a different story but given that there is only ONE, and events have transpired to make it a must win game, trying to stop people from watching is a fairly pointless idea.

I remember when I was a schoolboy just before my GCSE's my History teacher was an avid Welsh Rugby fan who told us in no uncertain terms that he would NOT be missing a vital World Cup clash between Wales and Australia which coincided with our lesson so just wheeled a TV in and made sure nobody could see into the classroom from outside. We all dutifully watched the game which for me was great news as I quite enjoy Rugby however those who didn't weren't going to complain because watching ANYTHING was better than an hour discussing the industrial revolution.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
St Wilfrids in 1998 they just let us watch the game in the canteen. No harm done.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't think children should be exposed to such traumatic images.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Balfour Juniors in 2002, watched Second Half of the Nigeria & Brazil games in the School Hall. Can't remember what we did for the 1998 World Cup, was in Benidorm for the Group Games anyway.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It is only half hour at the end of a teaching day. I think all classes should watch it in their tutor groups, it would be a good bit of bonding.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
when was the last time england played in school hours - 8 years ago v Brazil, before that, I cant ever remember. So 1 match in a generation really. Unfortunate for those having to do an exam but half an hours lost school time at most for state school SO WHAT, most schools are give kids days off for sports day etc at this time of year anyway.

Bloody teachers, always finding something to moan about

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
not moaning....as I said...I'm not teaching then anyway..but for some it is an hour off of lessons! Probably damned if you do let them watch, damned if you don't scenario..was just after opinions...and expected the usual anti-teacher bollox...and got it!!!!!! Grins at not being let down..l love NSC

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can't imagine there will be many at a private school bothered anyway they will be on the rugger pitch or hitting the balls with the old willow

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
St Bernadettes 2002 i remember watching the Brazil match in the school hall.
Luckily we have the week off college (tuesday-friday), but i know the school attached to the college (Newman) have no plans to let anyone home early. If i was at college, i know i'd have left at 2 before last lesson, and so would 90% of my mates. All the kids will leave early and bunk second lesson, its stupid.
Just end school at 2.30pm and everyones happy, if its that important, bring people back an extra 30 minutes on thursday.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Is it right that schools are allowing lessons to go by the wayside to show the England game on Weds? I am a teacher, and despite my love of the game, I really am not sure that I agree with this...Some schools finish earlier than k/o...but we do not. I am ok, in so much as I have a free lesson anyway, so can go and watch it in peace if I choose not to sit with little people...
Maybe another reason is...I teach in an independent school..so parents are paying for their offspring to watch a footy game! Oh, its Wimbledon this week, can I abandon all my lessons to watch the bloody tennis?! :shootself

Where do you work?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Would you rather they took the whole day off 'sick' rather than attending and at least learning for part of the day?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here