Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

schools allowing the game to be shown..

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
It is odd that my son's school won't let them watch it there and so they will have to travel home by bus and miss the first half (12 is a bit young to watch it in the pub on the way home with his mates!) and yet the very large company I work for has a "world cup policy" in place that allows staff to start earlier in order to get home early for the football.:thumbsup:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
With the way kids are turning out nowadays, it won't make the slightest difference if they took the whole day off.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
90 minutes for a game of footy I can live with!

'Inset' days whatever that means every time it takes their fancy to close a school is another matter.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I really can't see this happening in my year as I'm currently in an exam period. Lower years may be allowed to but seeing as schools nearly all finish at 3 anyway, I doubt they'll be nice and let you go home early.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
So school would close at 2:30, or offer it around the school in TV's if some students live more than an a half hour away? :clap2:

Since dropping sociology, i have all of wednesday off, and even with sociology, i get off at 11 or 12 depending on what week it is.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Schools seen to make a massive deal out of kids missing lessons, but it's all bollocks really.

Most lessons are an ongoing theme of something, so you can miss a couple and catch up later. For something as important as the world cup schools should let it slide. You live life for stuff like this and a couple of hours out of lessons won't make any difference to anyone

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Schools seen to make a massive deal out of kids missing lessons, but it's all bollocks really.

Most lessons are an ongoing theme of something, so you can miss a couple and catch up later. For something as important as the world cup schools should let it slide. You live life for stuff like this and a couple of hours out of lessons won't make any difference to anyone

Not even that - 15/30 minutes!

smelly

May 23, 2004
We are talking an hour off tops. If the teachers want the kids to catch up they could cancel an inset day and have it during the 13 weeks holiday they get negating the need for the rest of us to take another fcuckin days holiday. Win/win all round.

Tomorrow...........world peace.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Isn't this a case of 'I'm alright Jack because I can watch the game but the little buggers can go without'.

This should be the only game that England will be involved in with a 3pm kick off on a week day. Why can't schools finish early or better still, make an event of it and show it on the screens in the classrooms.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
England vs Tunisia '98 they saw fit to put on a 3 hour Economics exam. We had a break in between and some daft bint said "Is it still 2-0 England?" :tantrum:

We had it recorded to watch later that afternoon.

I would be inclined to not show it and run the rule. Stop pandering to bloody kids. Turn up for lessons or be punished severely.

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
I remember in 2002 against Brazil, we watched it in the classroom on a tiny tele, with about 30 boys from both classes of our year crowding around.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
The kids should be allowed to watch the football. For crying out loud schools should be pushing football (and sport) on the same par as English and Maths in my opinion. Look at the current crop of English players, alot of them are most likely going to retire by the time the next World Cup comes around. Who of the same calibre is going to step in their shoes. Name the world class players that are going to step into the shoes of Ferdinand, Lampard, Terry, Carragher etc etc. Its pitiful, kids should be able to decide which subjects they want to excel in. No wonder there are worries over our future youth development programs.

If only they pushed it harder in schools and got kids more involved in sport, then maybe we would have more sporting triumphs in this country, rather that fat kids playing on thier playstations and living off mummy and daddy who are also being funded by the state.

Let the kids watch the football. Give them some enouragement to take part in football.

ps. Sorry for the rant, but if it was a maths program, then the teachers would drop everything to let them watch it. The trth is there is so much untapped talent out there that the educational system is failing because it pushes too much on maths and computers.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The kids should be allowed to watch the football. For crying out loud schools should be pushing football (and sport)

Let the kids watch the football. Give them some enouragement to take part in football.

Or how about getting them to obey rules and watch sport in their own time. Schools are far too slack.

If you want to get kids interested in sport, get them playing it, not watching it during lessons.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Seeing as its a major distraction and very rare, there is nothing wrong with letting kids off early for it. How often is it likely to happen?

In 2002 the state examinations commission here even specifically allowed goal updates to be relayed in to exams - I was in one for Ireland vs. Germany.

The only other time I remember something similar was the playoff game against Iran was on during an afternoon and the school put it on the TVs for anyone who had a fixed time schoolbus and sent everyone local to the school or with bikes/cars home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here