Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scariest moment at a football match

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Goldstone, West Stand terrace in 1982, home to Spurs. I was nine, a Spurs fan had an Albion in a head-lock, with a knife at his throat, and little old me started yelling at the Brighton lad to give him one. Duh?!

Strangely, wasn't scared at the time, but would shit myself now. God know what I put my older brother through :shootself

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Got chased through a couple of streets away at Forest (League cup 1978?), turned the corner and there was an old ladies tea gathering in an open fronted hall. Sat down and had a nice cuppa while the old ladies complained about how naughty some youngsters were these days !

Or was it a dream ?!?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Two spring to mind.

Versus Sheff Wednesday at many years ago when after the match a bunch of about 200 Wendys cut off our way out and started picking on anyone they could lay a boot on. Watched one 10 or 11 year old lad being kicked to the ground while his dad was trying to pull the thugs off. I stopped going to matches for a couple of years after that.

The other more bizarre one:

Stranraer v Hamilton Accies six years ago. A Stranraer forward broke through on goal and the Accies keeper came out to meet him. There was a sickening thud as the two collided. The keeper lay motionless as trainers and physios tried to help him. They gave him CPR and mouth to mouth. Then an announcement went out: "Is there a doctor in the ground". It was sheer panic for about 10 minutes as I am sure we all thought he was dead. Eventually an ambulance arrived with paramedics and the guy still lay there on the pitch. After much more attention he was strapped to a stretcher and taken to hospital. It was later revealed that he has fractured a vertebrae in his neck and swallowed his tongue. I don't think he ever played again.
The ref added 18 minutes stoppage time!

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
coming back from play-off final wasn't fun.
me and my mate headed back on the train to bath with loads of city fans. most were just shouting the usual boring gay stuff but 3 or 4 were meatheads staring at us looking very much like they would quite happily rip our heads off for having the audacity to beat them. thankfully 4 rozzers got on and kept them back til we got off...

poke

Oct 19, 2003
at wycombe this year we turned up late and had to end up standing on the stairs.

When we scored everyone went mental and we went flying down the stairs which was quite scary but also fun!

i also remember something happening at brentford this year as well, there were police and some bloke shouting. it was all a bit hazy but that scared me a bit as well.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
poke said:
i also remember something happening at brentford this year as well

Me too. We were shit (again) and there was an amusing "conversation" between 2 groups of Albion fans just next to me, where one of the group (young kid maybe 16) kept muttering to himself like a nutter and wanted to have a pop at the older group as they had insulted his dad (or something equally crap as that)

Would have been an amusing spectator if that had gone off ;)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I was at an Albion/ Palace game,it must have been in the late seventies,anyway it was so crowded in the north west terrace and as a mate and I got there late we couldn't get a descent view. I then came up with the bright idea of standing on one of the shed roofs in the corner.We had a great view and everything was great until some Palace fans got thrown out for fighting,as they walked up Newtown Road they saw us balanced on the sloping roof and decided to lob bricks at us.
I can't stand bad losers.:angry:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Walking back to the car after The Longford Incident might have been scary, had there been a Longford fan over the age of 10 with an IQ even approaching triple figures around

Longford has the lowest school finishing rate in Ireland, by a massive margin. Its usually 80% who get A level equivalents

Its 25% in Longford...

levski seagull

Jul 7, 2003
brighton
we must have the gayest fans in the world...anyone who was next to the slovakia fans at the bratislava game last year will know what im on about...robocop pigs beating the crap out of anyone who moved and home fans baying for a fight,the moodiest atmosphere i've known at a ground since the seventies.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pinned against a barrier for twenty minutes at Aldershot as the crowd surged through a narrow exit in the sixties. Too busy trying to prevent myself being crushed to death to get scared.

Away at Spurs, caught in a huge crush at an Albion game there. Then an enormous bundle broke out and everybody surged forward and I could breathe. And I could see the pitch as well.

Caught in a crush at Millwall at the Old Den and I was lifted off my feet, but the exit was getting wider and although I had no control over where I was going, I managed to get out quite quick.

Pickpocketed at Palace and when I sussed, the enforcer came in with a knife. I just laughed as the pocket was empty.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Safeway said:
Reading this thread has led me to one conclusion.

Brighton fans are a bunch of f***ing PUSSIES. :jester:

Whilst you may be joking, as has been said by other posters we could have a thread where Brighton fans 'ruled the roost'. For instance at the Division Two game in 1976-77 at White Hart Lane (48,000) myself and two others wandered onto the Shelf a little worse for wear. Whilst we were bricking it, there was no Spurs fan that would come within 10 feet of us. Mind you we seriously realised that we were not welcome there so made our way to behind the goal. Brighton have always had a great following and I could mention instances at loads of grounds where Brighton were the Kings. Thankfully football has changed for the better and there doesn't seem to be as much aggro at games.

Dandyman

In London village.
whitelion said:
Whilst you may be joking, as has been said by other posters we could have a thread where Brighton fans 'ruled the roost'. For instance at the Division Two game in 1976-77 at White Hart Lane (48,000) myself and two others wandered onto the Shelf a little worse for wear. Whilst we were bricking it, there was no Spurs fan that would come within 10 feet of us. Mind you we seriously realised that we were not welcome there so made our way to behind the goal. Brighton have always had a great following and I could mention instances at loads of grounds where Brighton were the Kings. Thankfully football has changed for the better and there doesn't seem to be as much aggro at games.

I don't know if anyone remembers the game at Oldham toward the end of the 1977/78 season. We had to get a bus to the ground from the station and got stoned by the local clog wearers. When we got the ground we cleared the open terrace of their supporters in one massive Albion rush.

I also remember people forming a guard of honour for the players when they got back to the station (yes - players did use public transport in those days !)

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Dandyman said:
I don't know if anyone remembers the game at Oldham toward the end of the 1977/78 season. We had to get a bus to the ground from the station and got stoned by the local clog wearers. When we got the ground we cleared the open terrace of their supporters in one massive Albion rush.

Didn't go to that game but a similar thing happened at Chesterfield at the end of the season 76-77? when we got promotion. Remember going onto the pitch at the end and going towards the Home end. The terrace was empty within seconds.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
1) walking round the back streets of selhurst in my brighton shirt, in the dark,after the palace game and getting started on for nothing by a group of skinheads sitting outside a pub.

2)Watching i think either the wolves home game or the watford home game two season back, when the rocketmans rockets landed about half a metre away from me and caught fire.

3)shitting my pants during the swindon game, until virgo scored!:clap:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The first football match I ever went to in the early 70's with my old man was to see Spurs v ManUtd at White Hart Lane (he went to all the home matches).

Within 10 seconds of walking into the ground, 2 big bastards walked thru the turnstiles, spun me around and one said to the other "What about this c*nt then?" - luckily for me his mate answered "Nah he's not one" and off they went.

I nearly shat meself - I then spent the next half hour (before the match even started) watching idiots punch and kick each other senseless, and then take on the cops who dragged them all out of the ground and into the holding cells under the stadium.

Luckily it was a draw - 2:2 - or there would have been a lot more blood!

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here