Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scariest moment at a football match

Albion Rob

Probably Canvey Island at home in 1995. My mate and I were 14 at the time and we were in one of those first class compartment from Eastbourne to Brighton and this massive guy walked in and shouts: "I'm a Canvey fan, what the f*** are you do?". We sat there both stunned and terrified as he let the silence and our terror linger then goes: "Ha, ha, only joking lads, I'm Brighton." and showed us his tattoo.

Obviously nothing like as bad as people 'enjoyed' 10 or 15 years before but still quite unsettling.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Spurs in 1978. I walked confidently into the North Stand and was halfway down the terrace when I realised that I was the only Brighton scarf in a sea of Spurs colours. Never the bravest street fighter around, I legged it out of there with a sea of spit being projected at me by the Spurs fans I passed and hid in the cubicle in the Gents and tied my scarf around my body under my shirt.
I think they let me go as I was just not worth the bother. Had their been a few of us I think it would have been a different story

I watched the game on the West terrace whilst the area behind the terrace turned into a scene from a Wild West saloon with punches being traded by all and sundry and Spurs getting progressively angrier as the goals went in.

Never had any other really bad moments before or since.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
When Mayo scored! Err for Hereford! :eek:

Not really scary but more amuzing. When playing at Sheffield Wednesday we were on the tram to the ground (I had been drinking since Kings X) Naturally the singing started. Which slowley progressed to "Merge with United, you're gonna..." A few wanna be hard nut 'kids' came from the back of the tram and said we had gone too far. I was explaining that we were only singing, sticks and stones etc. They were getting more and more upset by this and were probably about to kick off when the tram stopped and about 15 - 20 more Albion fans hopped on. They quietly slipped back to their seats and we started singing again :)

Albion Rob said:
Probably Canvey Island at home in 1995.

Same game funnily enough. Not because of any agro though, because when we scored one of the goals I got knocked over in the North Stand surge, lost my shoe was seriously worried about having my leg snapped. Thankfully my girlfriend was on hand to help me up (oh, the shame).

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Another one was the trip to Birmingham when we drew 3-3 in their promotion season. They kindly allowed us 500 seats, out of about 19000.

Even parking the car was bad, with local kids offering to mind it for us. The only other place that's happened to me is Spurs.

And then the 500 seats were down in one corner surrounded by Brummies. Great game though, especially one Stuart Munday.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Leed sUtd at Home the year they got promoted and John Crumplin equalised in the last minute.

Watching 2000 fat pissed Leeds fans charging towards the north lobbing coins was a bit scary for a 15 year old.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
m20gull said:
Another one was the trip to Birmingham when we drew 3-3 in their promotion season. They kindly allowed us 500 seats, out of about 19000.

Even parking the car was bad, with local kids offering to mind it for us. The only other place that's happened to me is Spurs.

And then the 500 seats were down in one corner surrounded by Brummies. Great game though, especially one Stuart Munday.

That was a brilliant game, I remeber them throwing stuff down at us from the seats that where above us.

Great fun.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Nothing too bad, thankfully. But looking back, the whole family having to sprint down the tunnel by Conway Street bus depot to get away from Millwall thugs, midweek in about 1977-8? must have been quite, er, exciting for a 6-7 year old (although I'd have taken the lot of them, obviously). Actually, it was exciting enough staying up that late.

And waiting for a bus at the foot of Dyke Road after we played Leeds in about 1988? and wondering why suddenly there were so few people around...then hearing the growing noise of Leeds fans shouting as they walked down from the station...more sinister than scary. The scumbags trashed the centre of town all night from then on.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
El Presidente said:
Millwall away in (I think) 1984/5. Millwall had been undefeated at home for about 30 games, and that idiot Mick Ferguson decided to have his only skilful moment in an Albion shirt and waltz through their defence and we win 1-0. Catch the train back to Brighton and there are a number of faces I don't recognise, but feel safe as the police are on board the train.

The next station is about 2 miles down the route. The police get off the train, as do the 'faces'. Police wander off, the train is stationary, so the 'faces' jump down on the track, gather together a load of shale, and take out most of the windows in the train with it, showering everyone indiscriminately with glass.

I was also on that train e.p. and as you say v.v. scary, we had to put the seat cushions against the windows i recall. As a 15yr old at the time, it put me off going to away games on me own for a while.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Pompey away sometime in the late 70's (bit of a haze now). Hardly any Brighton in the ground because we'd got there early. Pompey all singing the usual faggots stuff and "where are yer where are yer", at which point a couple of train loads of Brighton turned up at the ground. Pompey surged from the Fratton end, but there used to be a trench in the middle of it. They'll never get over that I thought.........okay, they'll never get over the fences I thought.........okay, they'll never make it onto the pitch I thought...........f*** this I thought.......I'm off.....................as a few hundred pompey came charging over the pitch towards us.

Last edited:

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
That was a brilliant game, I remeber them throwing stuff down at us from the seats that where above us.

Great fun.

Good shout, that was an amazing away day performance by BHA and one of the great goals I've seen live scored by Munday

Remember going to the game with a friend (female) who was studying in Brum and walking past some seriously run-down and dodgy pubs between Birmingham New Street and St Andrews.

There was no agro but I remember thinking at the time that this area could be seriously dodgy if you needed to get to and from the station to the ground and the locals were out to get ya!

This was nearly 10 years ago mind, so maybe they've regenerated the area?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
m20gull said:
I refer of course to the wonder strike at Leicester.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again......that was a mis hit cross

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
pasty said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again......that was a mis hit cross

Bollocks!!!!!!

I was right behind the SHOT, he meant it and it was an absolute beauty!!

PS Does anyone else remember when their mascot walked round the ground (dressed up as a large blue fox), came to the Brighton fans, was shaking the hands of a few kids/adults, then went to shake a hand of a bloke who dummied the handshake and instead swung a punch at him?!!!!!!

Guess you had to be there, but was very funny :)

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Yes it was very funny. We were in the front row right up by the Leciester fans. I nearly ended up on the pitch in the excitement after Munday's goal.:D

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I will go along with all of the above.

My worst was West ham at home in the 70's...Come on You Irons chanted from the middle of the North Stand near the back where the hoolies used to stand and it all kicked off...ended up in the South Stand as they chased everyone round the ground. West Ham away the same year..0-0 Billy Bonds kicked wardy round the pitch for 90 minutes...they were about 6 points behind us and needed to win. there were loads of psychopaths in the Brighton end and the police just stood and watched.

Sunderland away on tuesday night at Roker park.
Coventry away 3-3 draw.
Millwall at the den many a time.
Chelsea ...stood in the Shed with loads of brighton fans...safest place in the ground!!!
Oxford United...also chased around Hove park
Southampton home...ditto
Portsmouth away..too many times to mention.
cardiff City lovelly place
derby County...70's away in Cup.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Woodingdean Gull said:
1980(?), mid-week match v. Arsenal. In the North stand just around kick-off, there was an almighty surge which pushed me and my mates a good 20-30 yards. Didn't know what had happened, and so with one other mate pushed our way back to where we always stood by a crash barrier.
I'd just said "What the f*** was that?" when from everywhere, all around us, about 600 arms went up in the air and about 300 voices started chanting "The Arsenal, the Arsenal......".
My mate and I very slowly looked at each other, and as one moron with a knife went past us about three yards away shouting "Where are those bastards, I want to rip someone!", I very slowly zipped up my jacket to hide my "seagulls" scarf. It was not the time for any heroics.
I must admit, that was the most evil and frightening atmosphere I have ever known.

Yep, that was a very rainy League Cup game (0-0 i think), I was selling the old jackpot tickets inside the North Stand turnstiles and wondered why the police never stopped a bunch of geezers who came in with dungarees on with city of westminster council on the front??!!??..... just before kick-off it did go off and some hairy arsed gooner nicked my money bag as I was taking it back to the office..... watched the game from the South Stand... far safer.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
haven't got many, but cardiff away one year was fun. think it was when we went up from division 2. those kind welshmen decided to gather outside the turnstiles, blocking us in. about 30 minutes later and we were finally let out, with riot police holding back the cardiff fans on each side allowing us to get across the road to the car park.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Safeway said:
Reading this thread has led me to one conclusion.

Brighton fans are a bunch of f***ing PUSSIES. :jester:

I look forward to NSP taking Ninian Park and the New Den next season then!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here