Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scariest game you've been to.

Jan 30, 2008
Well whoop di doop for you...I was only a kid when I went to Highbury and don't mind admitting that the experience frightened the shit out of me and very nearly put me off football for life, I don't think it is too much to ask to be able to go to a football match not in fear of losing your life or ending up in hospital.
i know what you're saying ive had a few slaps , character building gully

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Does anyone have a website where you can look back at previous results ?

Try soccerbase for football results, but if you are looking for something within the hoolie encounter genre there are wonderful films on YouTube of people driving round Brighton.

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
For pure football reasons, I have to say Hereford away '97.
What's more scary than your clubs existance on the line in the Football League!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The only time I can think of where I've felt physically threatened was after the Grimbsy game when we went down and when we went up to Carlisle a few years ago during the foot and mouth crises.

In both occasions there was only two or three of us and a lot of local dickheads mincing round trying to cause trouble.

Jan 30, 2008
spurs, white hart lane , arrived late and on my own and got invited into the ground by a spurs fan who took me straight into where their firm used to gather at the side of the main stand next to the away end , i was introduced to a few and i thought my game was up because they were a lot older and seemed the real deal but they were as good as gold, i even got a lift back to Brixton to catch the train back home after the game by one of them

Jan 30, 2008
The only time I can think of where I've felt physically threatened was after the Grimbsy game when we went down and when we went up to Carlisle a few years ago during the foot and mouth crises.

In both occasions there was only two or three of us and a lot of local dickheads mincing round trying to cause trouble.
Grimsby?? four off us brought tickets for their main stand on the day walked in and were out of our seats when we scored .............. good as gold

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Cardiff when it was standing, and the vetch at swansea was always a bit nasty

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Circa 1988

Brighton 2
Bristol Rovers 1

It was very close to another Hillsborough that day as the back of the North Stand pushed forward to try and get on the pitch and celebrate promotion. They refused to open the gate for 10 minutes after the game ended.

Many people at the front could have died that day including me.

Spot on UC - got onto the hallowed turf and was relieved to just get out of the northstand, my mate pulled me up over the fence...I thought my time was up. Then went home down towards Hove station to get involved the after match agro.....nightmare day and remember so well!!!

Jan 30, 2008
Spot on UC - got onto the hallowed turf and was relieved to just get out of the northstand, my mate pulled me up over the fence...I thought my time was up. Then went home down towards Hove station to get involved the after match agro.....nightmare day and remember so well!!!
kicked off outside the north stand when bristol came down the road from the hove park tavern before the game

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
BHA v Pompey at the Goldstone circa 1991 ?....the whole north stand at the goldstone was full of pomey who were well up for it. Might of been a cup game but i think Btn won 1-0

Couple of little scuffles in the north stand at final whistle then kicked off big time in Sackville Rd by the entrance to the trading estate after the game.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Grimsby?? four off us brought tickets for their main stand on the day walked in and were out of our seats when we scored .............. good as gold
but not the day before on cleepthorpe seafront

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Going back ages we were hosting i believe chelsea possibly west ham,and on the friday night b4 the match i was mooching around west street in my bestest diamondy jumper with a few other fashion victims,after mouthing off to a group of obvious cockaneeys,they chased us into the bar next to what is now the walkabout i believe,what happend next was not for the feint hearted the place was full of locals and the 15 or so said cockaneeys were dispatched via the windows then set upon outside,in particular one lad had his head kicked against the kerbstone American history x stylee,nothing since i have seen at football or related has scared me to the point that the incident did,not to nice watching somebodies head split open in front of you.

I read in the paper on the monday morning that a ambush had been set up that night,underneath churchill square the police found 2 milk crates full of petrol bombs,i presume to be lobbed at the poor cockerneeys.

Football violence may seem exiting to the younger fans and in my late teens it did indeed exite me and formed part of the day,i stopped wearing the chav of the day gear shortly after the west street incident and now confine my matchday aggression to the odd oh ffs ref you blind twat.

Other than that Man city away wrong place wrong time ouch.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
The only game I can think of where I was genuinely scared was the FA Cup at Peterborough back in about '85. I think there were at least 6,000 Albion fans packed in behind the goal. I honestly thought my ribs were gonna crack under the pressure of the crush, I wanted to get out of there but you just couldn't move and that was that. 'Cracking' atmosphere though if you could put your fear to one side. I seem to remember the pitch was covered in snow, the match would have been called off if it was today. Anyone remember those red scarves they handed out on the coach?

Another one was Portsmouth at the Goldstone in the '83/'84 season. It was the first game I went to and I was up the north end of the east terrace. The Portsmouth fans had been given the north stand and I just remember spending the entire 90 minutes dodging coins, bottles etc. That was when we had the fences up and the Pompey fans were acting like a bunch of caged animals!....I remember being thankful for that fence being there. But as scary as it was, from that moment I was hooked..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here