Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scariest game you've been to.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Ipswich away, last game of the season circa 1993 ?. Albion got relegated that day afterr losing 3-1...Raphael Meade scored for Brighton i believe.

But there were 3,000 + BHA supporters crammed in the corner and for once, i really did fear for my safety as no one could move....people were pissing up your back because you couldn't get out for a slash...a most unpleasant day.

One of the Pompey away games was a bit of a crush too but i can't recall that too much !!!!

Reading away...lost 0-3 (Elm park), one of the last games of the season was a bit lively with 43 BHA getting arrested. All you could hear walking back to Reading nick whilst i waited for my mate was windows being smashed. Bloody good atmosphere outside Reading nick that evening though whilst we all waited for our mates.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Circa 1988

Brighton 2
Bristol Rovers 1

It was very close to another Hillsborough that day as the back of the North Stand pushed forward to try and get on the pitch and celebrate promotion. They refused to open the gate for 10 minutes after the game ended.

Many people at the front could have died that day including me.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Circa 1988

Brighton 2
Bristol Rovers 1

It was very close to another Hillsborough that day as the back of the North Stand pushed forward to try and get on the pitch and celebrate promotion. They refused to open the gate for 10 minutes after the game ended.

Many people at the front could have died that day including me.

BHA v Pompey at the Goldstone circa 1991 ?....the whole north stand at the goldstone was full of pomey who were well up for it. Might of been a cup game but i think Btn won 1-0

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
For me it was one of 2 games from the 83/84 season when I was younger.

Either the Chelsea game 83 when they trashed the goldstone or the Watford 4th round FA cup game up at Vicarage Road when we nearly got crushed and the police were wankers.

The reason why I hate both clubs :tosser:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BHA v Pompey at the Goldstone circa 1991 ?....the whole north stand at the goldstone was full of pomey who were well up for it. Might of been a cup game but i think Btn won 1-0

Matthew Edwards scored if I remember correctly. I got elbowed on the nose by a Brighton fan who took a swing at a Pompey fan. :D

The dad of a friend, who took me to the game, proceeded to lift the Portsmouth scummer out and handed him over to the police. There seemed to be plenty in there. Cracking atmosphere to encounter for an impressionable 11 year old.

I remember joining in with the "f*** off, Pompey! Pompey, f*** off!". Made me feel cool.

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
Ipswich away, last game of the season circa 1993 ?. Albion got relegated that day afterr losing 3-1...Raphael Meade scored for Brighton i believe.

But there were 3,000 + BHA supporters crammed in the corner and for once, i really did fear for my safety as no one could move....people were pissing up your back because you couldn't get out for a slash...a most unpleasant day.

One of the Pompey away games was a bit of a crush too but i can't recall that too much !!!!

Reading away...lost 0-3 (Elm park), one of the last games of the season was a bit lively with 43 BHA getting arrested. All you could hear walking back to Reading nick whilst i waited for my mate was windows being smashed. Bloody good atmosphere outside Reading nick tthat evening though whilst we all waited for our mates.

Present at all three games you mentioned. .........Pompey was a crush as was the game at Portman Road. Reading not really scary though. Far more of a crush at Peterborough in the F.A Cup replay a few years back. Your own 'Appy Ammers was a pretty scary place to visit as was our dear friends at the OLD Den!! .....Palace was always fun but i think the most intimidating game to go to was Stamford Bridge before it was Poshed up and that lovely site of The Shed goading the away fans. Anyone remember the old scoreboard at the away end at Chelsea which when fully lit you could feel the heat from the hundreds of lightbulbs............memories

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
remember that scoreboard well. mr bates is still bitter about what happened to it.

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut

And some people wonder why some Albion fans dislike Pompey so much....i remember that game and many at Fratton Park where there fans were not unlike animals and would have ripped us limb from limb. Mind you our fans are not Angels..

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
millwall,cardiff,oxford,hereford,for me pretty lively,as for reading the year mentioned above,great night with bha invading the pitch,pompey always lively,but the old bill alwayss used to pen us in for ages.recently well in the last few years,peterbouuogh,lincoln and chesterfield,grimsby etc great days and nights but not scarey

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
remember that scoreboard well. mr bates is still bitter about what happened to it.

Any Pics of that scoreboard Starry..............it was HUGE......and please add that it was Leeds fans who dismantled it rather than warm their hands on it as we did!!!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Reading away...lost 0-3 (Elm park), one of the last games of the season was a bit lively with 43 BHA getting arrested. All you could hear walking back to Reading nick whilst i waited for my mate was windows being smashed. Bloody good atmosphere outside Reading nick that evening though whilst we all waited for our mates.

I remember that game well.

Was living in the Midlands at the time, and arrived early in Reading on my own about 11am - walked into a pub near the ground that was EXCLUSIVELY Reading :ohmy: Had on my Albion pinbadge, but obviously didn't stand out as a Brighton fan. Got talking to some lads in there for a couple of hours who were very welcoming and on a high about promotion and 'Mark McGee's magic hat'!!

Anyway, about 1pm the pub got attacked by Albion fans, many of them in fancy dress :ohmy: I kid you not!!! Thought I was going to a) get a kicking from my own fans or b) get a beating from the Reading fans in the pub!!! Bizarre pre-game experience

After the game, all i can remember was the amount of glass on the streets on Reading from smashed up bus shelters, phone boxes and broken bottles

Good day out though :albion2:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Nothing much in this country, despite all the naughtiness that used to surround our game. For me it has to be a game at Anderlecht in the early 90's, don't remember who they were playing...but when they scored I thought that I would die in the crush of fans rushing from the back of the terrace, I finished up a good 10 metres from where I had started, utterly utterly frightening.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I remember my first away game, when Reinelt scored the opener the season after the great escape away to Orient. I was at the front of the away fans and remember nearly getting killed by the bodies piling forward! We lost 3-1, Carl Griffiths took the piss, a few of ours ran on the pitch and generally a very bitter atmosphere. What football is all about!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The North Stand was interesting when we played Spurs at home in 78. Proper foot-soldier that I am, I had to hide in the toilet cubicle whilst I hid my silk scarf.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

The old maor ground was a bit dodgy...i remember going there and walking along a long alley to get to the ground. We found this pub and was warned by the OB that it would kick off in there later on....nothing happened.

Think it was 0-0 and Paul Moody was playing for Oxford.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The old maor ground was a bit dodgy...i remember going there and walking along a long alley to get to the ground. We found this pub and was warned by the OB that it would kick off in there later on....nothing happened.

Think it was 0-0 and Paul Moody was playing for Oxford.

The White Horse?

I got caught up in a big brawl between Reading and Oxford back in '00. I wasn't even going to the game, I was coming back from the shop with some batter mix for pancake day. :blush:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Mind you, my first ever game was Arsenal v Chelsea at Highbury, towards the end of the 78/79 season, which saw Chelsea relegated. Arsenal won the game 5-2 and to say that the Chelsea fans didn't take it graciously is a bit of an understatement, there was fighting in the North Bank right from kick-off and the cops kept going in and picking off the offenders one at a time...there must have been a good 200 of them so it took most of the game before peace broke out...only for battle to recommence in the streets outside the ground.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Millwall

The Den

1991 Play-off Semi-final second leg

Albion won 2-1 (6-2 on agg)

Having beaten Millwall in their own back yard it wasn't good news that we were being kept in the ground for almost an hour after the game finished, watching most of the unhappy home support staying put and small fires appearing around the ground.

I remember not looking forward to the coach journey back through Lewisham, expecting the windows to be bricked, but in any event when we did eventually leave, the streets were eerily deserted, not a Millwall fan in sight....:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here