Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Savage's future in doubt as contract talks stall (merged threads)

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Bas is hardly the messiah. He's Comedy Bas a la Sir Anthony Rougier. Cult hero with occasional flashes of twinkle-toed stupidness that comes off. He's a sideshow at best and hardly a sound investment for the future. DK needs to tell his chancer of an agent to get real or f*** off.

totally agree...we have a budget and we need to keep roghly too it ...there will be plenty of players on offer in the Jan window so way pay over the odds

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'm not convinced it is the money that is the sticking point.
Gillingham offered Bas a contract last January but it was only until the end of that season. We offered him until the end of December and so got him.
Possibly (and it's only a guess before anyone wants to jump down my throat) we are only offering a year and he wants two? Just a thought?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've only just read DKs comment on the official site, and it seems fair enough, I think he has told us the situation, however, it will be a major mistake on his part if he lets Bas go IMO.

As I said yesterday, if he does go, I really would like to know the facts for once, not heresay, but the actual reasons why Bas may leave, we don't know for sure if it's money, length on contract, or what (probably is one of those things) but if the offer is to put Bas in the higher earners section of the club then I guess it's the length of contract, or clauses therein.

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
Savage does a good job overall but frankly he's not really any better than any other striker we have. If his agent is holding the club to ransom then sorry Bas but bye, bye. You only have to look at Luton and Swindon not to mention Leeds to see the folly of paying unrealistic wages.

Absolutely right. The references to Bas being a "GREAT" striker on this thread are rubbish. He is entertaining, sometimes, he scores goals, occasionaly, and would not get near being tagged a "great" stiker. Holding out on contract talks like this, whether thatbe him or the agent, has a name. Oh yes, its called greed.

EW

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if what dick knight says is true, then f*** him - if he doesnt want to be here then we shouldnt go out of our way to accomodate him

he has had a good year - it doesnt make him a decent player. lots of other clubs will take a look at his pathetic record until he signed for us, and it maybe enough to put them off signing him

if we do lose him however, the money we offered him will need to be re-invested in another striker, as none of the others are good enough to be playing in a team that SHOULD be pushing for the championship

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I still can't believe Bas won't sign by the end of the month. If he doesn't sign by December 31st, it doesn't automatically mean he leaves the club - he would still be regsitered with us, but it doesn't look like the offer of that contract won't be on the table.

As for George, Dean is hoping to sign him until the end of the season at the very least. Apparently, it seems George is at a crossroads as to where he wants to go with his career. I suspect he'd rather stay at Ipswich (even though he does appear surplus to requirements there), and can't make his mind up about Brighton (can we make it to the Championship? etc), even though he is very happy here, likes it here and gets on well with the lads in the squad.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I still can't believe Bas won't sign by the end of the month. If he doesn't sign by December 31st, it doesn't automatically mean he leaves the club - he would still be regsitered with us, but it doesn't look like the offer of that contract won't be on the table.

if he hasnt signed it and doesnt let the club know his intentions, then he should get exactly the same treatment that bertin did

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Not necessarily. Savage would possibly still report for training, and still put in the effort. He'll still be on the scene.

Bertin just f***ed off without a bye-your-leave.

if he was just training then fair enough, but if he hadnt signed a contract and was still playing games for us, i wouldnt be happy with that at all, when we have players who have committed to the club sitting around on the bench

cant see that being the case though, as what would be the point in allowing his contract to expire and then being a free agent again? he was VERY lucky that we were so dire last season that we took a chance on him. id say if what knight has said is true, then he is waiting for a better offer to come along - if it does, he is gone. if it doesnt, then he will sign for us - ala bertin, although they are both slightly different situations, the same principle applies

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The fact that DK has said the wage offer puts him in the top bracket of wage earners at the club is a worry for me, when IMHO Bas is still not a automatic pick and very inconsitant.

Sure i would love Savage to stay, but only on a max 18 month contract and at reasonable wages for a player that is yet to peak, even at this level.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
if he was just training then fair enough, but if he hadnt signed a contract and was still playing games for us, i wouldnt be happy with that at all, when we have players who have committed to the club sitting around on the bench

cant see that being the case though, as what would be the point in allowing his contract to expire and then being a free agent again? he was VERY lucky that we were so dire last season that we took a chance on him. id say if what knight has said is true, then he is waiting for a better offer to come along - if it does, he is gone. if it doesnt, then he will sign for us - ala bertin, although they are both slightly different situations, the same principle applies

Yeah, I kind of agree. But I can also think of someone recently who played for us for quite a while without a contract, and he is given a legendary status by some on here... Danny Cullip.

I think Bas is aware of his good furtune in playing for us, which is why I can't believe he won't sign.

I hope we don't reach the scenario where Bas ends up signing a lesser deal on account of his agent's apparent greed. At least the two parties are still talking, which wasn't the case in the Bertin affair.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Its a good comparison of Savage & O'Callaghan, cos in their recent performances, they've both been playing like they know they won't be/dont want to be here much longer and if they're like it on the pitch you can guarantee that its worse in training.
IMO They both know they're going to be somewhere else in January.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
What good do agents bring to the game..all they seem to do is rip all and sundry off...Baz ditch yours and just sign the contract offer...The grass isn't always greener

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Bas is hardly the messiah. He's Comedy Bas a la Sir Anthony Rougier. Cult hero with occasional flashes of twinkle-toed stupidness that comes off. He's a sideshow at best and hardly a sound investment for the future. DK needs to tell his chancer of an agent to get real or f*** off.

Agree with you there fella.

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
It's abit difficult to appraise a player solely on Live Text Commentary, but:-
{1} He seems to be able to upset the opposition defenders.
{2} He can get the Seagull crowd roaring.
{3} he seems quite capable of making goal opportunities for other players.
For these attributes he should be compensated, perhaps not as a striker, but certainly as a good team man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here