Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Savage's future in doubt as contract talks stall (merged threads)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have never fully understood why agents state a player's career is short when angling for a deal. Are they unable to obtain any other job when they retire? Do players become totally unemployable when they finish?

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
george played against both yeovil and the gills when we lost

anybody who can't see what hammond offers need to open there eyes!

he keeps thing simple and ticking over,will be a massive lost when he joins a championship side in the summer

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
On the Bas front... if by some chance we did end up in the Championship next season or soon... is Bas the answer ? probably not - so I can understand DK being hesitant to commit to extensive and expensive contracts.

you could use that argument for around 75% of the squad though - bas is an important player in terms of helping us get there, to just see him leave when we have made such a promising start compared to expectations would be a real blow

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I have never fully understood why agents state a player's career is short when angling for a deal. Are they unable to obtain any other job when they retire? Do players become totally unemployable when they finish?

As I see it, when these guys are young, they spend all their time playing football, and not going to uni / doing a-levels etc, so they're practically unskilled when they quit football, unless they do coaching / managing. It's just a theory though, i may be totally wrong!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Knight - "Savage offer won't stay on the table for much longer"

http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Latest/0,,10433~1191361,00.html

Albion chairman Dick Knight has commented on today's story in the Argus about the Bas Savage contract talks.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "If Andy Naylor only talks to the player's agent without also checking the facts with either myself or Dean Wilkins, he's bound to get a one-sided story.

"The facts are that after initial talks with Bas's advisor starting some time ago, our final offer to the player has been on the table for over two weeks.

"The contract offer puts Bas into the top bracket of Albion wages, and equally importantly, gives him the security of term that will allow him to further develop his career with the Albion. He's made more progress with us than with any other club.

"Bas is popular and we obviously want him to stay - he's unpredictable but capable of very good - and we believe, even better - things.

"The offer made to Bas is very fair, but with his current contract expiring on 31st December, it won't stay on the table for much longer.

"If he declines to sign, the club will move on."

Now that DOESN'T look good

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
BYE THEN BAS :insert wave smiley here:

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
I can't see this anywhere else on here, but I could be wrong, so apologies if this is fixtures.

Looks like Bas & his agent might be getting the old Alexis Bertin treatment if he's not careful!

http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Latest/0,,10433~1191361,00.html

Dick Knight:

"If Andy Naylor only talks to the player's agent without also checking the facts with either myself or Dean Wilkins, he's bound to get a one-sided story.
The facts are that after initial talks with Bas's advisor starting some time ago, our final offer to the player has been on the table for over two weeks.
The contract offer puts Bas into the top bracket of Albion wages, and equally importantly, gives him the security of term that will allow him to further develop his career with the Albion. He's made more progress with us than with any other club"

"Bas is popular and we obviously want him to stay - he's unpredictable but capable of very good - and we believe, even better - things.

"The offer made to Bas is very fair, but with his current contract expiring on 31st December, it won't stay on the table for much longer.
If he declines to sign, the club will move on"

When an agent goes blubbing to the press, it normally means he's trying to whip up interest somewhere else.

How often have footballers' careers gone down the pan because the agent is more interested in his cut than advising his player to settle for what's on offer?

DK is quite right to call their bluff.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
When an agent goes blubbing to the press, it normally means he's trying to whip up interest somewhere else.

How often have footballers' careers gone down the pan because the agent is more interested in his cut than advising his player to settle for what's on offer?

DK is quite right to call their bluff.

I agree entirely...but it's a shame...not only is Bas great entertainment (and let's face it, there's not been much of that at Withdean over the last couple of years), but he can be a bloody effective player at this level:(

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bas's agent is trying to drum up interest from other clubs in readiness for the January transfer window. Even if Bas has a loyalty to the club his agent will try to secure the best deal for him which may mean he moves on. If DK has offered him a package until the end of the season rather than a 18 month or longer deal he is being prudent as we could be be shelling out championship wages on a player who might be out of sorts. Next season Fozzy will be 35 so is Bas to become our number 1 striker after he has retired ?

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Personally, I dont think Savage would be a great loss to us. He has not performed well in the last few games. Was woefull against froest. I think there are plenty of players out there who would do a better job.

On the O'callaghan front, I agree this is worrying.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Personally, I dont think Savage would be a great loss to us. He has not performed well in the last few games. Was woefull against froest. I think there are plenty of players out there who would do a better job.

On the O'callagham front, I agree this is worrying.
George O'C is incomparable to Fraser. Dean is probably pissed off about his comment in the Argus as he is picking the team not the player. By talking up Fraser he is trying to put off interest from other clubs in O'C and suggesting the players are at the same level.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bas is hardly the messiah. He's Comedy Bas a la Sir Anthony Rougier. Cult hero with occasional flashes of twinkle-toed stupidness that comes off. He's a sideshow at best and hardly a sound investment for the future. DK needs to tell his chancer of an agent to get real or f*** off.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I think with O'Callaghan its Wilkins just saying the usual manager sound bites in which any other boss would say. For a start if he says to GO'C that he will start every game that is going to upset other squard members, where they would try less in training and may mean that O'Callagham may give slightly less in games if he knows hes place isn't under thread.

I fully expect O'Callaghan to start tomorrow tho.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I fully expect O'Callaghan to start tomorrow tho.

He bloody well should. Our best player and we are looking to bounce back from a defeat.

On the Savage front, he should do the right thing and tell his agent to bugger off. Unless of course, the agent is being used (as usual) to direct the flak away from the player.

It is quite simple, Bas. Do you want to stay or not?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Great shame if Bas went but if his agent is being anal them DK should not do the deal.

However not sure what sort of a replacement we might pick up if he does go..........

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Clear that another Bertin situation is brewing. One difference is that Bas will KNOW that when the offer expires he's on his way and there will be no way back.

Total support from me for DK on the way he handles these agents. Take it or leave it offer to the player is the only way to do it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Clear that another Bertin situation is brewing. One difference is that Bas will KNOW that when the offer expires he's on his way and there will be no way back.

Total support from me for DK on the way he handles these agents. Take it or leave it offer to the player is the only way to do it.

:clap::clap::clap:Couldn't agree more. Baz may be very popular but he's no Ward or Zamora, he's not even close to a Forster. He's about as good as Revell so if he thinks his agent knows best then he should take his advice. Dick Knight is quite right as he usually is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here