Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Savage's future in doubt as contract talks stall (merged threads)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To not start George would be folly.

Firstly because he should start anyway, as he is part of our PROVEN best midfield. He still hasn't lost a game FFS.

Secondly, its pretty likely that in the next two weeks we are going to have to ask him if he'd please stay on loan until the end of the season. If he's in a huff about not getting enough starts [which IS why he is here at all] then he'll go elsewhere.

Having said all that, I'm pretty certain he will start anyway.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
More worrying is the silence on Hammond's contract

In terms of actual playing worth, absolutely. Also, in terms of financial reality - it would be hugely disappointing to lose Hammond regardless. Much more so if we lost him for nothing at the end of the season.

Holding on to Bas is important too though. At a time when the crowds are stuggling like never before, it would not be good to lose one of the few players, that is considered an entertainer.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Savage does a good job overall but frankly he's not really any better than any other striker we have. If his agent is holding the club to ransom then sorry Bas but bye, bye. You only have to look at Luton and Swindon not to mention Leeds to see the folly of paying unrealistic wages.
Agree with that. Bas is a reasonable player but there will be loads of gangling big blokes with a limited amount of skill on the market at the end of the year, as always. And of all of these types of players we've had recently, Bas has the least impressive CV since Dave Cameron and Scott Ramsey - he needs to wise up if he thinks he's going to earn a shed load more at a similar club elsewhere. But I don't blame his agent, I blame the player for not realising if his agent is doing a shit job.

And I remain unconvinced about Hammond's worth too. He was shite when we were last in the Championship so I don't think there will be loads of clubs at that level clamouring for his signing. That said, he could prove useful at this level next season so I hope he stays with us.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
To not start George would be folly.

Firstly because he should start anyway, as he is part of our PROVEN best midfield. He still hasn't lost a game FFS.

Secondly, its pretty likely that in the next two weeks we are going to have to ask him if he'd please stay on loan until the end of the season. If he's in a huff about not getting enough starts [which IS why he is here at all] then he'll go elsewhere.

Having said all that, I'm pretty certain he will start anyway.

Cant disagree, I guess Wilkins said it to make it look like he has a tough choice between him and Fraser, when he doesnt really.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Agree with that. Bas is a reasonable player but there will be loads of gangling big blokes with a limited amount of skill on the market at the end of the year, as always. And of all of these types of players we've had recently, Bas has the least impressive CV since Dave Cameron and Scott Ramsey - he needs to wise up if he thinks he's going to earn a shed load more at a similar club elsewhere. But I don't blame his agent, I blame the player for not realising if his agent is doing a shit job.

And I remain unconvinced about Hammond's worth too. He was shite when we were last in the Championship so I don't think there will be loads of clubs at that level clamouring for his signing. That said, he could prove useful at this level next season so I hope he stays with us.

Wise words :clap:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The O'Callaghan stuff is just Dean Wilkins playing down for the media and other clubs watching... if he said 'we are desparate to have GO back, he's championship quality... blah blah' it would be an invitation for interest.

'Not sure he's better than what we've got' would ring alarm bells with any Championship managers (if they believed it!).

On the Bas front... if by some chance we did end up in the Championship next season or soon... is Bas the answer ? probably not - so I can understand DK being hesitant to commit to extensive and expensive contracts.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

If Hammond can go back to the player he was when he first got into the team he can hold his own with ease in the championship.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It would be wise for Bas and his agent to remember that his career was going nowhere when we signed him. A short-term, relatively successful spell does not rule out any of the doubt that exists about his long term potential with this or any other League One club. I certainly wouldn't back a three year deal. There is nothing to suggest that he has what it takes to perform in the longer term. He still has a lot to prove and should be grateful for the opportunity to stay with a club he has an affinity with.

It would be wise for Bas and his agent to remember that his career was going nowhere when we signed him.

I said the same thing on another thread-sometimes you wonder where these people keep their brains.

No one person should be allowed to hold this club to ransom: if you don't like the terms on offer, you know where the door is.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Some West Ham fans rated him very highly after two performances against them.
If Charlton don't go up I expect they will make him an offer.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If Bas can get a better deal elsewhere I can't see him staying, he's 26 now and should be earning the maximum he's likely to get in his career. It's a shame, but player loyalty in football is a thing of the past.

Sounds like his agent is inviting offers, up and untill the transfer window in January, and if we offer the best terms we'll keep him, if not he'll be gone.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am still not convinced a lot of this is papertalk.

Being an UBERFAN, I was at the dinner on Monday and had a chat with most of the players and they all said to a man that were were happy here and with a bit of luck we would be in the top three. Injuries at crucial times, like Elphic and Lynch have taken their toll and one of the most positive people was Hinch. If anyone should feel sorry for himself its him!!!!

Bas was in the middle of everything and if there was an eruption of laughing he and Revell were there.

I know its a very false atmosphere but to be honest I did not get the impression of disharmony.

One bit of advice...NEVER EVER play Kuips at Table football!!!! the bloke has iron wrists.no wonder he saves so many shots straigt at him.

BTW Cox is even smaller in real life!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Errm Gillingham away - didn't he start and we lost ?

:eek:

http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/MatchReportOld/0,,10433~37607,00.html

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/arg...899.0.reserves_cruise_into_quarter_finals.php

O'Callaghan played the full 90 minutes [ v Bognor] and has now set his sights on a place in the team for Saturday's clash with Swindon.

He said: "It was good for me to get back into action and I thought I did okay considering I have not played for a while.

"I'm itching to go on Saturday as I came here to play games so it has been frustrating to miss the last three.

"I have kept myself sharp over the last few weeks and fully expect to be in the starting XI on Saturday. I could sit on the bench at Ipswich so I will be disappointed not to start.

"We haven't lost in the 13 games I've played in so hopefully I can be a lucky mascot against Swindon."

O'Callaghan was one of a number of players in a strong Albion line-up who will be hoping to be involved against Swindon in some capacity.

George is a LIAR!. Get rid of him! :jester:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
that piece is pure agent spin, making it look like the club is holding things up to get exactly this reaction and put pressure on the club. i cannot concieve that Knight would not be willing to reward such good performance with a decent length contract unless it was on a high-silly amount of money. if Bas want s decent, fair wage for his services im sure a 2-3 year contract is not a problem. But agents get paid on % of wages, not length of contract...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Quite. That original Argus piece carries no quote from the club about the Bas Savage situation. It's safe to assume that the Argus asked the club for a quote or comment, and if so, the club has chosen not to - as per its policy on this matter.

I think I spy an player's agent who doth protest too much.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
On the Bas front... if by some chance we did end up in the Championship next season or soon... is Bas the answer ? probably not - so I can understand DK being hesitant to commit to extensive and expensive contracts.
That is a big if though, and we won't get there by losing some of our better players halfway through the season. He may be ungainly, clumsy, and look like he doesn't know what he is doing half the time but after Forster he is easily our most effective forward. I think we could do with signing a striker anyway but if we lose Bas than we may well need two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here