Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Savage's future in doubt as contract talks stall (merged threads)

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
THE Albion future of Bas Savage is in the melting pot.

Negotiations with chairman Dick Knight over a new contract for the popular striker have stalled.

But Savage's representative remains hopeful of a positive outcome.

The former Gillingham and Reading front man's current deal with the Seagulls expires on December 31.

His agent, Kevin Horton, said: "Bas absolutely loves it at Brighton. The fans have made him very welcome.

"He is one of those sort of players who thrives on feedback from coaches. The two Deans (Wilkins and White) have made a very useful contribution to his career and he wants to stay, simple as that.

"But the reality is I met Dick in the middle of October and now we are six weeks further down the line.

"Negotiations haven't concluded. It would be inappropriate to go into specifics but we are hoping for a positive resolution very soon.

"Bas is having very little to do with it. He is content to let his feet do the talking. He has left it to me and is fully focused on his football."

The snags are thought to relate to Savage's wages and length of contract. He wants more security after joining Albion from Gillingham at the end of January.

Horton said: "Bas is 26 in January. A footballer's career is a very short term one. Security of contract is always very nice.

"Sometimes players at Bas's stage of development want to get to where they want to be quicker but that is not what he is saying.

"He wants to bed down and progress from within. You only have to look at the results a couple of weeks ago to realise the club have half-decent prospects of making the play-offs. Why move?

"He doesn't like the uncertainty but the advice from me has been to put it to the back of his mind."

Meanwhile, Albion boss Dean Wilkins has warned George O'Callaghan he is not an automatic pick for tomorrow's trip to Swindon.

O'Callaghan told The Argus he expects to play after making his comeback from a three-match suspension in the reserves at Bognor on Tuesday.

Wilkins is keeping the on-loan Ipswich midfielder guessing, with Tommy Fraser proving an able deputy in his absence.

Wilkins said: "It's difficult. What has happened this season is that players have bridged the gap.

"What were sometimes easy decisions last season have been made more difficult now because of players performances."

Tommy Elphick has been ruled out of his hoped-for comeback, despite the young centre half resuming full training yesterday following further hernia surgery.

"It is far too soon," said Wilkins. "He looks like he could do with a couple of sessions and maybe a game under his belt.

"That was his first full session with the group and hopefully we'll get no reaction from it. He seemed happy enough at the end."

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Oh f***

I'm guessing that DK is only offering him to the end of the season but he wants until 2009/2010 possibly.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It's a real shame that the contract talks are endangering his Brighton career. He's been a great player (so far), and I also believe that he owes something to Brighton for having faith in him despite a questionable record previously and getting the best from him. How much can we trust the thing about Bas not having much to do with it? I'm not naive, a footballer's career is short and they have the chance to make a bucketload - is this just because Bas has scored enough goals to feel as though he should be paid Championship wages?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
that article throws up two very very negative points - probably the most negative things around the club at the minute apart from BUSES - savage not signing a new contract, and o'callaghan possibly not starting

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Savage does a good job overall but frankly he's not really any better than any other striker we have. If his agent is holding the club to ransom then sorry Bas but bye, bye. You only have to look at Luton and Swindon not to mention Leeds to see the folly of paying unrealistic wages.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough

this is the exact case as I read it, if Bas wanted to stay he'd sign what was on offer as it would be within the structure set at the club. Knight isn't a fool when it comes to contracts, you really have to look at the agents demands and I don't think Bas knows what they are

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Albion in long drawn out contract talks shock :D

Who was the last player to re-sign without a saga lasting a few months? (except kids on paper round money previous to renewing?)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
"Meanwhile, Albion boss Dean Wilkins has warned George O'Callaghan he is not an automatic pick for tomorrow's trip to Swindon."

That worries me more if Deano doesn't reckon O'Callaghan has more to offer than the alternatives.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Hmmmmm... is it possible that, with Falmer now on the horizon, DK is hoping to tempt better players to the club and doesn't want player a la Hart and Mayo who can't get into the first team stuck on the payroll?

If that's the case, Dick wake up! We haven't got Falmer yet. Concentrate on where we want to be next season not in 2010!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
"Meanwhile, Albion boss Dean Wilkins has warned George O'Callaghan he is not an automatic pick for tomorrow's trip to Swindon."

That worries me more if Deano doesn't reckon O'Callaghan has more to offer than the alternatives.

He looked distinctly unhappy playing at Bognor.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
this is the exact case as I read it, if Bas wanted to stay he'd sign what was on offer as it would be within the structure set at the club. Knight isn't a fool when it comes to contracts, you really have to look at the agents demands and I don't think Bas knows what they are

I think the chances are he does know what they are, His agent would tell him what has been offered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here