Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Savage "in tears" [Merged]

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Savage blasted for rejecting Albion deal
By Andy Naylor

Albion chairman Dick Knight has blasted Bas Savage for being too greedy.

Savage has rejected the Seagulls' offer of an 18-month contract.

His current deal expires next Monday and the former Gillingham striker now seems certain to move to another club after throwing his shirt into the Albion fans following yesterday's 3-0 defeat at Millwall.

Savage, parading a new blue and red striped haircut, was in tears in the dressing room afterwards but Knight is in no mood to sympathise.

"He has been made an extremely generous offer, so much so that I increased it slightly recently," Knight said. "I gather even his agent has told him he should sign it.

"I only found out today that Dean (manager Dean Wilkins) was told by Bas Savage on Christmas Eve that he was not going to sign his contract.

"Frankly, if that is the case I don't know why Dean picked him because I don't want players in the team who don't want to play for our club.

"We are not going to pay the sort of wage demands that he makes. That will not happen all the time I am chairman. The club doesn't have the budget to do it.

"Our offer more than befits his position in the squad. It puts him above several other senior players.

"What was he doing with a red and blue stripe down the top of his head? If he was wearing the colours of another club with his haircut I think that is extremely sad and disrespectful.

"I don't know, maybe it wasn't, but I found it strange. Something is going on and if it is what I suspect and Bas Savage is going to another club and his agent hasn't had the courtesy to tell me that there is no way he will be playing on Saturday against Yeovil if he doesn't want to sign a contract for our club.

"He seems to think he is worth a whole lot more. If he doesn't want to sign the contract, and he still has a couple of days to do it, then we will move on.

"I have been negotiating with him and his agent since October. He hasn't been treated badly by us, he has been treated extremely generously and this is the only club he has made genuine progress with.

"Why is he deciding to leave? It is only his decision and it defeats me, I cannot believe it.

"He obviously loves the fans, up to a point, but he is walking away from a very generous contract."

Wilkins said: "It looks like he has refused our offer, so he will be moving on. It's going to be a blow but we have to make sure who ever comes in to replace him does as well, if not better.

"It's disappointing but he has been made a good offer and I believe his agent feels he should still be our player. We have definitely improved him but that's life."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/arg....savage_blasted_for_rejecting_albion_deal.php

???

Apparently even his agent has told him to sign? It's all very strange. I did notice the hair and wonder if that meant anything too. But then if he was in tears... why would he go?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Sounds like he's got greedy regards to the contract.

Bye bye Savage:bigwave:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Something doesn't add up...but he doesn't rule out the possiblity of Savage still signing

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm not surprised he's in tears. You spend all Christmas planning a groovy haircut and then FDM usurps you with a f***ing WELL COOL haircut.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO MESSES WITH MICHEL.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Good article this, and I concur with Knight. Bas has done a sort of lower division Cantona-esq departure with his weird departure as a club's cult hero. Unfortunately about all he's got in common with King Eric is a love of garlic bread. Very disappointing exit Bas - you were ok. Think all that moonwalking's gone to your head though son. You're very young and you've already played for half a dozen clubs; this is the first one where you've actually looked like a striker and now you're off. But one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Good article this, and I concur with Knight. Bas has done a sort of lower division Cantona-esq departure with his weird departure as a club's cult hero. Unfortunately about all he's got in common with King Eric is a love of garlic bread. Very disappointing exit Bas - you were ok. Think all that moonwalking's gone to your head though son. You're very young and you've already played for half a dozen clubs; this is the first one where you've actually looked like a striker and now you're off. But one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Superbly put.

All I can say to Bas is sign the bloody contract. You have looked comfortable with Forster and you have a crowd that are behind you. You are pretty much guaranteed first team football with us and if you are that good, then someone will be willing to part with some cash for your services. He is not a world beater, but you have found a niche in Brighton and Hove Albion.

Do not join a growing list of players that think they are above a club. Get stuck in.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Superbly put.

All I can say to Bas is sign the bloody contract. You have looked comfortable with Forster and you have a crowd that are behind you. You are pretty much guaranteed first team football with us and if you are that good, then someone will be willing to part with some cash for your services. He is not a world beater, but you have found a niche in Brighton and Hove Albion.

Do not join a growing list of players that think they are above a club. Get stuck in.

:thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
If that article is true, we should tell him to f*** right off. .

It is a big IF though.

1) we have no cash - can we really afford to give a player a pay hike?
2) we don't know the length of the deal

There's obviously something that's made him stall - it might not be pay, it could be family or something silly

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes. I would still want him to stay. In the past, I would have said 'f*** off' but I want us to succeed and I think we are a better team for having Bas playing, whether that be starting or coming off the bench. All I want is for Brighton to play well, enjoy watching them and reach their potential and I think Bas is integral to that. Everyone is human and perhaps he is going through some sort of midlife football crisis :clutchingatstraws: He certainly seems poplular with the playing staff and fans alike. I am saying that we should not baulk on the contract offer, but we shouldn't write him off just yet.

I am slightly confused with the red/blue colours. There is a certain team that plays in that.....:angry:

I am slightly confused as to why Wilkins played him if he made it known that he wasn't going to accept the contract. Maybe a last ditch attempt to persuade him? Thank heavens we played like Brazil....:rolleyes:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
There's obviously something that's made him stall - it might not be pay, it could be family or something silly

Don't be so naive - it's all about money. Besides, 'Family' is often just used as an excuse so that players can leave with a less guilty conscience...for more money elsewhere!!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Could be Carlise?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Until we know what he was actually offered, it,s a bit hard to criticise Bas or Dick Knight. We also haven,t seen any actual quotes from his agent to see what he really advises Bas to do.
Is Bas being too greedy............or is Dick being too tight.......?
I don,t know, but I do know that a number of players in past have basically said......"no where near enough DK..."

Make of it what you will...........but there definitely appears to be unhappiness in the squad re contracts.........not for the first time either.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He is probably crying as he knows he has blown it by being far to greedy.

Sorry to say this but we need to quickly get over this episode and move on.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I think this is a BAD move by Dick. I understand that the club's press people occasionally have to stop him chucking his toys out of the pram... and they've failed to do this here.

Now, I do suspect that ever since the Turienzo days, agents have seen our club as a bit of a soft target. Not sure why, but they have. My theory is that Dick has been getting increasingly pissed off with players' agents making silly demands, and has finally blown his top. Because Bas is next in line for a contract renewal, he is the one who has copped the abuse.

There's nothing to suggest that Dick and Dean Wilkins don't have a good relationship; and there's very little to suggest that Dean Wilkins commands anything other than complete respect in the dressing room.

But if there's going to be a Dick v the Players fight kicking off, Deano is going to be in the middle of it.

I predict this is going to get worse before it gets better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here