Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday - Not good enough

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
The thing is this isnt about the fact we lost in the dying seconds of saturday...anyone who was there must have seen how AWFUL we were.....clueless, no imagination, no creativity, no desire, no passion and the only time we threatened was when they were chucking the sink at us in the last ten and we counter attacked.

The performances on the whole are pis* poor......

But if we had come away with a 1-0 this thread wouldn't have even got a look in.
And people would have been saying "the sign of a good team that is, playing poorly and still winning"....fact we didn't though...oh hum.

Give Wilkins time.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Wilkins is obviously under pressure due to the recent success of previous managers who managed to work minor miracles on shoe string budgets..accepts Adams who had a larger budget but still did exceptionally well with it. Also the fact it is so expensive doesnt help wilkins out, as if it was a normal league one price around £15-20...im sure another 1k would be there.

You have made some good points and I hope it does all click for wilkins, as I know fans would love a previous player who has given so much for the club to achieve.

I often just give a quick rant and do not back up my reasoning for the rant or why ive said it and it can come across wrong.

I appreciate that you've made an effort to give some reasoning behind your thoughts. Although our final opinions may differ I think it's fair to say our outlook on a fair few issues are pretty similar.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
But if we had come away with a 1-0 this thread wouldn't have even got a look in.

Give Wilkins time.

if we had of come away with a 1-0 we would have been very lucky - i think the people who were there would have had the same concerns, but it certainly would have been more difficult for the anti-wilkins brigade to jump on his back than it is when you have conceded 2 goals in added time

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I appreciate that you've made an effort to give some reasoning behind your thoughts. Although our final opinions may differ I think it's fair to say our outlook on a fair few issues are pretty similar.

:thumbsup:

5 wins out 5 and he should be knighted!!!!

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
No doubting the result was poor, worrying no loan signings yet. We could really use someone to start tomorrow night in central midfield.

WHY isn't Barry Lloyd hammering the phones to Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd to try and get some of their kids on loan, instead of spending money watching mediocre Belarussian Division 3 left backs who once had a trial with Worthing.

Anything come of this Nikola chick who was on trial by the way? NO. and I wonder how much that pointless exercise cost!!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
No doubting the result was poor, worrying no loan signings yet. We could really use someone to start tomorrow night in central midfield.

WHY isn't Barry Lloyd hammering the phones to Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd to try and get some of their kids on loan, instead of spending money watching mediocre Belarussian Division 3 left backs who once had a trial with Worthing.

Anything come of this Nikola chick who was on trial by the way? NO. and I wonder how much that pointless exercise cost!!

He may well be hammering the phone to the big four....problem is....I suspect..they would want their players playing in championship as a miminum...just a guess like

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

So do you thnik there are kids at those clubs simply waiting to come down to the Albion and that we are not calling them for some reason?

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
What I think is we are looking too far afield - if teams like Walsall can get loan signings from Man Ure, I'm sure we could get some kids from the likes of Arsenal.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Quite. Steve Coppell anyone?

I appreciate Wilkins is not the world's greatest media darling - I suspect he'd rather not do the media bit, if he can help it. But if that's what it takes to endear you to him, may I respectfully suggest that there are other ways of judging him than his perceived posture during the game, or how monotoned he can sound when talking to the mumbling Hawesy.

I still believe, despite my brother's scepticism on here, that we will finish in around 10th place this season - the same place Micky Adams finished his first full season as Brighton manager, albeit a division higher.

Yes there are other ways of judging him, the general league position, the Istyle of football we play and the tactics employed (including) substitutions. Maybe I am used to following a team with a more charismatic manager.

It is a matter of opinion whether the side Adams inherited was a lot worse than the one Wilkins did (why do you appear to have an axe to grind about him incidentally).

Who is your brother?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Just for the record I thought we should never have sacked McGhee, but we did so we move on.

Wilkins is not the best Manager we have ever had, nor is he the worst, I feel sorry for him cos he got his team together in the Summer, then since Xmas and the players leaving he's had to rebuild, so we have stuttered a bit.

Just for the record - why bring that up?

Every Saturday at 5.30 we played really well but LOST!!"

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
What I think is we are looking too far afield - if teams like Walsall can get loan signings from Man Ure, I'm sure we could get some kids from the likes of Arsenal.

I am sure those avenues have been explored, but even if not there is no guarantee it would change much - look at Joe O'Cearuill. Came from Arsenal but was poor and is now playing in Ireland.

We struck lucky with McShane who was class for us but couldn't stop us being relegated.

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
I think our team is full up of enough kids, we need to be looking at experience!

No disrespect to our lads but I think Arsenal's kids are of a higher standard than ours. All these players in their reserves pushing for a place on the bench are desperate for first team experience.. Gibbs, Barazite..
Lloyd should phone up and ask.. "Is xxx available? No, right, is xxx available then? No? Okay... is xxx available?' - you get the picture!! :D

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
No disrespect to our lads but I think Arsenal's kids are of a higher standard than ours. All these players in their reserves pushing for a place on the bench are desperate for first team experience.. Gibbs, Barazite..
Lloyd should phone up and ask.. "Is xxx available? No, right, is xxx available then? No? Okay... is xxx available?' - you get the picture!! :D

Do you know he hasn't?

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
I am sure those avenues have been explored, but even if not there is no guarantee it would change much - look at Joe O'Cearuill. Came from Arsenal but was poor and is now playing in Ireland.

We struck lucky with McShane who was class for us but couldn't stop us being relegated.

Of course, I appreciate what you're saying - but to take a player on loan for a month to evaluate him wouldn't be any harm though!! I mean, our bench is close to consisting of Sullivan, Fogden, Chamberlain, McFaul and Gatting - Wilkins clearly doesn't fancy the kids we already have (ooo err etc).. and if they ARE naff we can get rid of them after a month at no cost!!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

What makes you think he doesn't ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes there are other ways of judging him, the general league position, the Istyle of football we play and the tactics employed (including) substitutions. Maybe I am used to following a team with a more charismatic manager.

It is a matter of opinion whether the side Adams inherited was a lot worse than the one Wilkins did (why do you appear to have an axe to grind about him incidentally).

Who is your brother?

Charismatic manager? McGhee, Coppell, Taylor... You can't really judge them their personailty.

I don't have an axe to grind with Adams at all. I am certain Adams did inherit a shite side, but he was given time by the Albion fans. Admittedly, we had different priorities at the time - like getting back to Brighton. The issue I have is with people who want Adams back. That's something I disagree with.

My brother is Seagull73.

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
Do you know he hasn't?

Of course not, I'm not an insider, but I do look around at other clubs at our level and below and see them landing young players from Championship and Premiership clubs, and wonder why we perhaps aren't doing the same.. it must be a choice thing, because for a club like us loan signings are a really cheap option!!

Edit: - a lot cheaper than scouting players from abroad and bringing them in on trial, only for them not to be good enough.. at least with a month long loan signing, we pay their small wage for a month and if they're crap we just don't pick them. The fact is though we probably would pick them as they'll add something else than what Wilkins already has, and knows about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here