Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday - Not good enough

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Don't read any of this as bring back McGhee,rather a thread debating the total inability of Mr Wilkins as a manager.

Mr McGhee did ok on the whole,whereas the present incumbent is lacklustre,and in his time in charge has done nothing inspirational at all,and as I say,no other club would employ him in a management capacity.

Mr McGhee was not the greatest thing since sliced bread,to be sure,but he was Hovis to Wilkins' Ryvita.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
You can write his job at cov out...due to the mess thats gone on there....hes hardly had it easy....

What exactly has wilkins acheived in over a year in management.....?

Whilst they have faced some financial instability, he was not restricted in the transfer market. I don't see why we can scrub that off his CV, yet Wilkins does not get a break from you.

Sometimes you have to go backwards to move forwards. We are gradually getting rid of players that are deemed to be surplus to requirements and have some decent players that have been acquired, mixed with a smattering of youth players that have bright futures ahead of them. Dean is not useless - we have divine right to be in this league or the league above or the league below.

We are treading water, whilst building for the future. We have made come canny signings this season and I fully expect a decent clear out at the end of this season. Something that should have happened after we were relegated with McGhee.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Whilst they have faced some financial instability, he was not restricted in the transfer market. I don't see why we can scrub that off his CV, yet Wilkins does not get a break from you.

Sometimes you have to go backwards to move forwards. We are gradually getting rid of players that are deemed to be surplus to requirements and have some decent players that have been acquired, mixed with a smattering of youth players that have bright futures ahead of them. Dean is not useless - we have divine right to be in this league or the league above or the league below.

We are treading water, whilst building for the future. We have made come canny signings this season and I fully expect a decent clear out at the end of this season. Something that should have happened after we were relegated with McGhee.

Weve gone backwards in the last year and stayed there unfortunately.

Any fan who accepts mid table obscurity, inconsistancy for over a year, continuel turn over of players......falling gates...must be happy with wilkins.

I find it hilarious people talk about the play-off's under wendy!

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
Weve gone backwards in the last year and stayed there unfortunately.

Any fan who accepts mid table obscurity, inconsistancy for over a year, continuel turn over of players......falling gates...must be happy with wilkins.

I find it hilarious people talk about the play-off's under wendy!

I don't think we have gone backwards in the last year. Some players are not cutting it and I fully expect them to be cut loose. We have made some decent signings and some youth players have been excelling. There are positives and negatives, as there will always be when a team is not in the promotion hunt.

We need to be looking at the playoffs next season. I personally feel that we may have a chance if we are able to add the right people to the team. Wendy has a fairly decent record in the transfer market, at the moment, and I would hope that the board will back him at the start of next season. I guess it would be sensible to avoid over reliance on loans if possible.

Inconsistency is always going to be there with an over reliance on youth team products and we have been missing a decent midfield for donkeys years. Never quite replaced the midfield of the early 00's. I don't think falling gates can be blamed entirely on Wilkins and the team. There are many contributing factors and it is not just our club that has seen a drop.

As for continual turnover of players, are we going to blame Wilkins for that as well or the circumstances of the club?

I am obviously not going to change your opinion, but I feel he is doing a reasonable job for a managerial novice in what is not an easy task. It would have been great to make a promotion push this season and we looked to be in with a decent chance before Christmas. We may have been in the playoffs, with a morale boosting victory over Gillingham (had it not been called off), before losing key components of the team.

I am, begrudgingly, happy to accept mediocrity at the moment. We are destined to tread water all the while we play at Withdean - over achievement in the first half of this decade has given us an over-inflated sense of worth. I would not have been an Albion fan for so long, if I gave up when the going got tough. Good things come to those who wait.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
i love the panic on here, we are still only 9 points away with 3 games in hand run of home games coming up, new forward line who everyone says are going to be good. But hey this is NSC and we love the moaners

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
i love the panic on here, we are still only 9 points away with 3 games in hand run of home games coming up, new forward line who everyone says are going to be good. But hey this is NSC and we love the moaners

9 points away from what exactly?

Please dont say the play-off's!!!!

Surely no-one on here actually thinks that is achievable?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
9 points away from what exactly?

Please dont say the play-off's!!!!

Surely no-one on here actually thinks that is achievable?

You see byf, this is why people don't take your opinion that seriously because you do things like make judgments calls before the games have even been played. Not only does this make you look like you have an agenda but also means if we do get results you end up looking stupid.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
You see byf, this is why people don't take your opinion that seriously because you do things like make judgments calls before the games have even been played. Not only does this make you look like you have an agenda but also means if we do get results you end up looking stupid.

It is not important to me what people think of my opinion or how seriously I am taken on an internet message board, everyone has their own Les.

I hope like I always have that Im proved wrong about Wilkins......but so far I havent been. I dont have an agenda, I just like every fan want the best for this club. The most value for money and the best interest of this football clubs future.

Paying £60 overall on saturday to watch that joke of a performance enables me to have my own opinion and express them how I wish.

I am convinced he will not imrove things...i hope im wrong

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Last seasons disaster? Did we get relegated last year? If so I seem to have forgotten.

Unc, look at the change in personel in the transfer window. If the squad was just how Wilkins wanted it would there have been such a big change around? No. He is putting together his own team and unlike with rich clubs they can do it in much less time we have to be patient as it takes longer for smaller teams to build a squad to compete.

Look at Everton, Moyes 2nd year was pretty awful but they gave him time and now they are flourising.

A very thoughtful and reasonable post ............ but I would just add, that it is likely that he would of preferred to have Hammond, Savage and O'Callghan still in his team with a few additions in the last transfer window, so this has put him back a bit.

I have no doubt that Wilkins is the man for the job, but its going to be up and down for a bit yet.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
How old are you ? 3

Indeed, that was my first season of watching Brighton.

I am into my 20th season of watching Brighton and NO manager has ever managed to silence a whole crowd to get a speech across, and then got them to cheer and sing so loudly and with such passion - and i mean this across all of professional football, not just the Albion

I guess it was just one of those "you had to be there" moments

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

I am into my 20th season of watching Brighton and NO manager has ever managed to silence a whole crowd to get a speech across, and then got them to cheer and sing so loudly and with such passion - and i mean this across all of professional football, not just teh Albion

And the end result of such a ROUSING speech was what ? Was it a triumphant march to winning the play off final or a series of depressing performances that EMPTIED Withdean and have carried on this season ?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth

I am into my 20th season of watching Brighton and NO manager has ever managed to silence a whole crowd to get a speech across, and then got them to cheer and sing so loudly and with such passion - and i mean this across all of professional football, not just the Albion

I guess it was just one of those "you had to be there" moments

You couldnt have been there at York away under Adams then.....when he was strongly linked with job at Millwall and ran over to the fans shouting im going no-where!!

That was passion!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
It is not important to me what people think of my opinion or how seriously I am taken on an internet message board, everyone has their own Les.

I hope like I always have that Im proved wrong about Wilkins......but so far I havent been. I dont have an agenda, I just like every fan want the best for this club. The most value for money and the best interest of this football clubs future.

Paying £60 overall on saturday to watch that joke of a performance enables me to have my own opinion and express them how I wish.

I am convinced he will not imrove things...i hope im wrong

Ok let me put it this way, your view point doesn't hold up because you pre judge Wilkins on results that haven't happened and if you didn't have an agenda you would never mention MM.

If you wanted the best for the club why would you talk about the past? Surely you would look to the future.

You are more than entitled to your opinion byf, I just think you argument has problems and you're not really willing to listen to rational arguments against it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You couldnt have been there at York away under Adams then.....when he was strongly linked with job at Millwall and ran over to the fans shouting im going no-where!!

That was passion!

No, that was commerce.

Did he really shoout 'I'm going nowhere'? Jeez, what a nut, what a weird thing to say. Something mental like 'yaaay, cooooome on, you FUUUUCKERS!' while punching the air, eating the pitch and humping the goalpost in a frenzied sexual assault-type way might make believe that that it was passion...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Correct. We were not good enough on Saturday and if we had not given the two goals away in added time I would still have the same opinion. We were also not good enough in the second half agains Crewe, so it's not just a one-off.

It really was a very very poor performance and certainly not one to attract the crowds back.

When we have all the squad back from injury I still think we'll struggle unless we can learn to pass the ball to our own side again.

I have supported Wilkins solidly since his appointment, but unless he can pick things up during the balance of the season I do think a change may be necessary. Micky Adams??

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Put it this way byf, imagine someone had started a thread after the Crewe game stating we will now get to the play offs under Wilkin's and that MM would never have achieved that. Then you give a reasoned argument against why you think that is not true only to have this person constantly go on about how Wilkins is the greatest thing since sliced bread and how McGhee is shit.

Would you think that person was capable of debating the issue and that they didn't have an anti MM agenda?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked

That was passion!

I was there, York has the WORST catering facilities at any league ground ive been too. Yes that was good, but i think Wilkins was better as he actually silenced us to get his point across, and then he :bowdown: to us all afterwards

And the end result of such a ROUSING speech was what ? Was it a triumphant march to winning the play off final or a series of depressing performances that EMPTIED Withdean and have carried on this season ?

yeah it was much like McGhee after the Euphoria of Sussex winning the C&G final, the Albion team came out the day after and got STUFFED by Crewe (Who Wilkins THUMPED last week) or when McGhee got us relegated with FIGHTING spirit loosing 6-1 at home on the last day of the season

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Correct. We were not good enough on Saturday and if we had not given the two goals away in added time I would still have the same opinion. We were also not good enough in the second half agains Crewe, so it's not just a one-off.

It really was a very very poor performance and certainly not one to attract the crowds back.

When we have all the squad back from injury I still think we'll struggle unless we can learn to pass the ball to our own side again.

I have supported Wilkins solidly since his appointment, but unless he can pick things up during the balance of the season I do think a change may be necessary. Micky Adams??

All well put together points of view - some of which I agree with and some I don't - but then catastrophically ruined by those last two words...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here