Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday - Not good enough

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lets be honest Unc and byf, you've both kind of been looking for a chance to slate Wilkins.

Everyone knows how pissed off I was that McGhee got sacked. The crying shame Les is that we already had a loyal manager with a fantastic track record of success and promotion in this league who had a promotion and 2 season in the championship in 3 seasons on his CV already, who has turned around Motherwell completely to be considered a strong candidate for the Scotland managers job and we replaced him with a guy who ran the boys team. Nice bloke and all that but HE AINT GOOD ENOUGH. I want the Man in the dug out to be able to inspire the team and me , something this guy will never do in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, 100 years I am afraid.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
How do you know he is not taking us forward? He has for the first time in his short managerial career just been given the opportunity to spend a relatively large amount of money. He has effectively been given a proper chance now so lets see how he gets on with that.

In my opinion the squad at the start of this campaign was good enough for a playoff push.....we are well short of that performance wise.

Last season we were told by everyone to judge this season and this season again is not up to the mark....mid table is not taking us forward is it?

Yes he has spent a MASSIVE amount of money for this club and as we all know the biggest amount in 25 years....so mid table isnt all that great.

Its not the end of the season yet and he has lots of time....time which he has been given and will be given..so the pressure is not on..everyone has been very patient with him.....but if we are in bottom half come may...I dont think its good enough and isnt a sign of going forward.

Overall this season...you cant say performance wise has been good...very patchy...very inconsistant and up til now no sign of change.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Wilkins is ok at keeping the ship in calm waters but I can never see him being in charge of a promotion winning team , he does not have the motivation, team selection, tactics, subs and nous, guile or ability in the transfer market. He may well make a decent cup of tea at half time though, I do not know.

I've been to a truckload of games this season (no change there,then) but have no regard for Wilkins at all.

Of course we have had dud managers in the past,at least 3 of the worst being "internal",or cheap,appointments.

Now we play a mish mash of schoolboy football and stuffwotdeansawonthetellyattheweekendfootball and it doesn't work and will not work.

This is the worst manager since George Curtis,and whatever his teamaking skills,his teammaking skills are much more of a worry.

Cue the "young manager of great potential with a young team of great potential"
usual suspects.But this has been going on for far too long.The man would be unemployable elsewhere.

Very few things have made me consider another option for Sat.afternoons,and to be honest I'm one of the fools who keeps going because I regard it as my club.

But this is a weakening team with a piss poor manager and no mistake.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Everyone knows how pissed off I was that McGhee got sacked. The crying shame Les is that we already had a loyal manager with a fantastic track record of success and promotion in this league who had a promotion and 2 season in the championship in 3 seasons on his CV already, who has turned around Motherwell completely to be considered a strong candidate for the Scotland managers job and we replaced him with a guy who ran the boys team. Nice bloke and all that but HE AINT GOOD ENOUGH. I want the Man in the dug out to be able to inspire the team and me , something this guy will never do in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, 100 years I am afraid.

Agree 100%...

Ok Mcghee has gone, jb done...but if you sack a manager who achieved more than most at this club have ever done....then you want to bring in someone who can do something to improve things...

I dont want to beat the drum of mcghee but i 110% feel that if he had stayed we would have achieved more than we have under wilkins....and the gates wouldnt have been so low....

But he's gone......and if mid table obscurity in this division was acceptable..then why get rid of a man who would and did before achieve more? MADNESS

I personally was shocked,embarrased and down right angry at the way fans and board treated Mcghee and the blooms should be happy with their public humiliation of a man who gave so much for the club...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I don't believe that sacking Wilkins will achieve anything other than ensuring that the turmoil at the club continues, he is building his own team and the signings during the transfer window are a clear sign of intent. If we get rid of him either now or at the end of the season it will only mean that any new manager will come in with his idea of how the game should be played, the playing staff at the club might not fit into his system and we then go through the whole process of trying to offload those surplus to requirement and bring in new players.

Look at some of the more successful managers in the game, many of them had dodgy starts to their career that often lasted several seasons but the board at the club backed them and later reaped the rewards. We all know that the club is treading water somewhat until we get to Falmer, the last thing we really need is to start changing managers more often than some people change their underpants, that is not a recipe for success.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
The thing is this isnt about the fact we lost in the dying seconds of saturday...anyone who was there must have seen how AWFUL we were.....clueless, no imagination, no creativity, no desire, no passion and the only time we threatened was when they were chucking the sink at us in the last ten and we counter attacked.

The performances on the whole are pis* poor......

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Right, as the pro McGhee agenda behind the anti Wilkins sentiments rears it's head I will duck out as it's now clearly not about debating the merits of Wilkins or what is going on with the footballing side of things.

Good day Gentleman.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Agree 100%...

Ok Mcghee has gone, jb done...but if you sack a manager who achieved more than most at this club have ever done....then you want to bring in someone who can do something to improve things...

I dont want to beat the drum of mcghee but i 110% feel that if he had stayed we would have achieved more than we have under wilkins....and the gates wouldnt have been so low....

But he's gone......and if mid table obscurity in this division was acceptable..then why get rid of a man who would and did before achieve more? MADNESS

I personally was shocked,embarrased and down right angry at the way fans and board treated Mcghee and the blooms should be happy with their public humiliation of a man who gave so much for the club...

Agree completely.

I don't believe that we can really get anyone willing in that could necessarily do a better job than Wilkins given the resources, and as a result I'm not particularly keen for us to get rid of him, even though I think he's not doing a very good job.

However, was this not the situation with McGhee as well? Wilkins is being afforded what Mcghee wasn't, with way less credentials to back it up.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I don't believe that sacking Wilkins will achieve anything other than ensuring that the turmoil at the club continues, he is building his own team and the signings during the transfer window are a clear sign of intent. If we get rid of him either now or at the end of the season it will only mean that any new manager will come in with his idea of how the game should be played, the playing staff at the club might not fit into his system and we then go through the whole process of trying to offload those surplus to requirement and bring in new players.

Look at some of the more successful managers in the game, many of them had dodgy starts to their career that often lasted several seasons but the board at the club backed them and later reaped the rewards. We all know that the club is treading water somewhat until we get to Falmer, the last thing we really need is to start changing managers more often than some people change their underpants, that is not a recipe for success.

Sometimes changing manager works and sometimes it doesnt. It really matter who you bring in. Getting rid of mcghee to replace him with wilkins wasnt right as results,gates and performances has proved. Replacing wilkins with Ian Chapman or Dean white wouldnt be right either...but replace him with a quality proven manager at this level would be...the like of dowie...

I personally think a massive clear out of dead wood is what we need....get rid of the non-league set up of chapman.....whitehawk...white....hastings ...

Get some hard proffesional foundations for a club ready in championship football soon..., can you really see Dean white trudging down towards a dug out at Pride park with a fcking white board...never going to happen!

Dandyman

In London village.

Rather a short memory. McGhee went because he has run out the ability to inspire the team and run out of ideas generally.

However much you may wish to toast your king over the water, he ain't coming back. It is nice, however, to see the real agenda of the the anti-Wilkins grouplet.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Says who. The season he was sacked we played 8 games with 3 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats, 2 of the defeats by 1 goal away from home against the teams who ended up 1st and 2nd.

The madness of sacking McGhee is coming home to roost and anyone who can say it was a positive thing 17 months down the line is clearly mad so rational debate is out of the question.

Goodbye Gentlemen as well.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Says who. The season he was sacked we played 8 games with 3 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats, 2 of the defeats by 1 goal away from home against the teams who ended up 1st and 2nd.

The madness of sacking McGhee is coming home to roost and anyone who can say it was a positive thing 17 months down the line is clearly mad so rational debate is out of the question.

Goodbye Gentlemen as well.

I was there the day we should have won at forest.....and went on to lose due to adam el abd madness in the box....which would have meant a very very good start to the season.

One things fans have done with Wikins this season that they didnt do with Mcghee is give him a fresh start this season...even though the warning signs were there last season...

All I hear is give him pre-season......give him a transfer window,........give him another season....It never ends........

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
funny after Saturday last week, everyone was saying well done to Wilkins and the team for finding and buying Murray, and what a performance we put on against Crewe, and things are looking up towards the play offs,

then a funny injury time later, everyone wants McGhee back because Wilkins is a joke and should be dead

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Did a great job with oldham........turned CPFC season around...performed a more or less miracle to get them up and shouldnt really have been relegated that season...

You can write his job at cov out...due to the mess thats gone on there....hes hardly had it easy....

What exactly has wilkins acheived in over a year in management.....?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
funny after Saturday last week, everyone was saying well done to Wilkins and the team for finding and buying Murray, and what a performance we put on against Crewe, and things are looking up towards the play offs,

then a funny injury time later, everyone wants McGhee back because Wilkins is a joke and should be dead

Nothing to do with the injury time goals from my side.......We were awful on saturday....irrelevant of late goals........

Its annoying, THIS IS LEAGUE ONE...not the championship...and we are getting taken apart by suub standard opposition....the players ook tired, lack lustered and un creative...our captains gone...loan players are slating the club.....the gates are low......and everyone seems quite content with this...MADNESS

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
One thing Wilkins can't do unlike Adams and McGhee is to inpsire the crowd which is why the gates are heading towards 4000.
The great Albion managers are the ones that lift acrowd and lift the team whether it be Pat Sawards buy a player march thru Brighton, Mullery flicking the V's at Palace and throwing his loose change at them or Adams at the Falmer march.
We need a similar inspirational figure now to get this club back on track and Wilkins is not the man and never will be the man.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Rather a short memory. McGhee went because he has run out the ability to inspire the team and run out of ideas generally.

However much you may wish to toast your king over the water, he ain't coming back. It is nice, however, to see the real agenda of the the anti-Wilkins grouplet.

Thank you.

Still let it run, always does after a defeat or two.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
One thing Wilkins can't do unlike Adams and McGhee is to inpsire the crowd which is why the gates are heading towards 4000.
The great Albion managers are the ones that lift acrowd and lift the team whether it be Pat Sawards buy a player march thru Brighton, Mullery flicking the V's at Palace and throwing his loose change at them or Adams at the Falmer march.
We need a similar inspirational figure now to get this club back on track and Wilkins is not the man and never will be the man.

Chesterfield away last season, probably the single greatest time that any manager has inspired a crowd at a match in my life time - also one of the greatest moments in my Albion supporting days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here