Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Santos Signs!

Oh Gary Hart!

Aug 13, 2006
how do i get a picture on this?just started in NSC.Also how do i change the name under my user name?apologies for being slightly stupid:(

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Maybe we should wait & see how he performs before we pass judgement on him? Or is that being too sensible?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Pavilionaire said:
maybe able to do a job if he stays fit.

Yep, I think that's the key phrase. It's one of the two categories of players we can afford. The other is the young player who may prove to be good enough, and we already have enough of those that MM gets criticised whenever he signs another.

Please wake up and smell the bank balance, we were not going to sign Cannavaro .... or even Sam Parkin / Geoff Horsfield / Ben Burgess etc, for that matter.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Santos Signs
by Paul Camillin

Albion have signed former Tranmere Rovers, West Brom, Sheffield United, Grimsby, Ipswich and QPR defender George Santos on a one-year contract.

Santos, who celebrated his 36th birthday on Tuesday, put pen to paper on the deal this morning after spending the week on trial with Albion; he is included in the squad which travels to Nottingham this afternoon.

The 6ft 3ins central defender, has also played in midfield and up front during his eight years in English football, but Mark McGhee says his latest acquisition is coming in to play as a defender.

He said, "George is a great signing for us. He is a very solid individual; he's physically of great stature. He'll be a good addition as the season goes on.

"He brings his experience and ability in both boxes to head the ball and is going to be a valuable addition."

Santos had been on trial with Albion's League One rivals Brentford during pre-season, and he played three trial games for Leroy Rosenior's side.

The Bees did offer him a contract, but as a centre-forward. Scottish Premier League side Hibernian also made an offer, but he opted for Brighton - and Albion's supporters may have influenced his decision to join the Seagulls.

In an exclusive interview for Seagulls World, Santos said, "I had a few options, but I had a good chat with the gaffer and he persuaded me to come and I am pleased to sign for Brighton.

"I had an option in Scotland and one or two in England. I wanted to stay in England, this is a new division for me but I am looking forward to it.

"I remember my first game against Brighton for Grimsby - it was at Blundell Park, we drew and both teams were relegated.

"I remember one of the fans asking me if I wanted to play for Brighton and I said 'Who knows?' Now here we are!

"I do remember the fans were very, very good and they support the team very well. Hopefully they will do the same this year and we can try to go up!"

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Turkey said:
Santos Signs
by Paul Camilli

"I remember one of the fans asking me if I wanted to play for Brighton and I said 'Who knows?' Now here we are!

"I do remember the fans were very, very good and they support the team very well. Hopefully they will do the same this year and we can try to go up!"

Good start son!

:clap:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Northstander said:
Good start son!

:clap:
It's probably too big an ask for him to make himself a legend by playing out of his skin this season, so maybe he's been brought in to make himself a legend by going that other route: kicking the f***ing shit out of leon. :clap2:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Pavilionaire said:
I'd normally agree with those that say don't judge a player until we've seen him. However, Santos IS 36 and has played at this level most of his career.

I think he's actually spent most of his time in England playing in the Championship (or whatever it was called that particular year)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, OBVIOUSLY not Gritt23 - we know that.

I'm very flat about this signing because not only is there a question mark over his form, there's also a question mark over his ability to get through a season, because of his age. It's all ifs and buts.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
Born in the Cape Verde Islands.
"The Republic of Cape Verde or Cape Verde (Portuguese: Cabo Verde, pron. IPA /'ka.bu 'veɾ.d(&#616/) is a republic located on an archipelago in the Macaronesia ecoregion of the North Atlantic Ocean, off the western coast of Africa. The previously uninhabited islands were discovered and colonized by the Portuguese in the 15th century; they subsequently became a trading centre for African slaves. Most Cape Verdeans descend from both groups."

Cool. We've signed a descendent of an African slave.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Simster said:
Sneaky George, have you been taking hints from Yorkie on sense of humour bypasses and treating humour with dull deadpan sincerity?

Can we expect you to flounce off at some point in the next 3 weeks or something?
Point taken Simster but I didn't see too many (your post aside) posts which were funny. Rather, it was the usual tiresome rantings, slagging off of a new player before they've even seen him kick a ball for Albion. If Santos is Lynch's replacement, no doubt we'll all be disappointed but the reality is all our best young players will be sold before we get Falmer. In the meantime, in this league, it won't hurt to have a bit of experience and height around especially as Hinch and Butters are both injured. And Mayo's days in the first team are surely drawing to an end. Here endth the lesson.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Turkey said:
Santos Signs
by Paul Camillin

Albion have signed former Tranmere Rovers, West Brom, Sheffield United, GRIMSBY, Ipswich and QPR defender George Santos on a one-year contract.

So he did play for Grimsby. If he's the guy I'm thinking of (and he probably is) I thought he was actually pretty good. A beast of a player who will be brought on with two minutes left of the game against swansea for the sole purpose of kicking leon knight over the channel.:clap2:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Santos was born in the Cape Verde Islands , a former Portugese colony and holds French nationality. He used to play for Crap Town but was released , he had a reputation for being physical and got sent off more than once during his stay at Blundell Park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here