Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Allardyce SACKED

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There certainly seem to be weird things happening this season with regards to premier managers. Grant and Hodgson were probably the favourites to be fired first after their respective starts to the season, with Allardyce and Hughton seemingly safe considering their starts. What odds would you have got at the start of november that Grant and Hodgson would still have their jobs while Allardyce and Hughton would be gone?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mental decision. Let's go back less than 11 months: Rovers are playing Villa in the 2nd leg of the League Cup Semi-Final. They're 2-1 up on aggregate and 61 minutes away from Wembley. They go on to finish in the top half of the Prem a creditable 10th. Surely, that's a reasonable season - 9 points and 5 places better than the previous season when Big Sam had to clear up the mess Ince left behind?

As an aside, Cappello's said that the next England manager is likely to be Redknapp or Allardyce and most of the media seemed to agree they were the frontrunners. Does today's decision mean he's out of the England running? It seems odd that he's not deemed good enough for Rovers but might be good enough for England.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
its been a slow start to this seasons Sack race,I think there has been some chairmen eyeing up their managers for the chop but no one really wanted to go first. Once Ashley cracked it has opened the door a little... expect Grant/McCarthy/Martinez and, even Moyes to be looking over their shoulders now....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Gus would never go to Blackburn, he'd rather stay at a bigger club!

Exactly. Why would anyone want to go to Blackburn? Club with limited potential as far as the Premiership is concerned, 20k-on-a-very-good-day fan base, horrible place to live etc. etc. etc. I'd be very surprised if either Jol or Hughton went there.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Statement from Venkys when they took over:

"Going forward we plan to focus on leveraging the global influence in establishing Blackburn Rovers as a truly global brand."

:lolol:
Blackburn - a "global brand". Yeah, right. I can just see hoards of worldwide brainwashed plastics ditching their Manure and Chelsea shirts in favour of Blackburn. What a load of old GUFF.

Indeed it is, but the lovely David 'Liquid' Gold came out with something similar about Birmingham City (FFS!) a cuppla seasons ago. What in the name of all that is holy are these egomaniacs on??

People can say what they like about Allardyce's style of football, but he's turned Blackburn round on an extremely limited budget. Had they not lost 2-1 away to high-flying Bolton (!) on Saturday, they would now be 8th in The Premiershite. Presumably the new owners are expecting the likes of Mourinho & Guardiola to be beating a path to sunny Blackburn in the next 24 hours...

:lol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
its been a slow start to this seasons Sack race,I think there has been some chairmen eyeing up their managers for the chop but no one really wanted to go first. Once Ashley cracked it has opened the door a little... expect Grant/McCarthy/Martinez and, even Moyes to be looking over their shoulders now....

Given how surprising Hughton and Allardyce's firings were, I may be foolish for saying this, but I think Moyes is safe for a while. McCarty was reportedly given two games to save his career, he won the first of them yesterday, but I imagine the sword is still hanging, and probably will still be there with a win in his next game.

Agent_Torpor

May 1, 2009
Indeed it is, but the lovely David 'Liquid' Gold came out with something similar about Birmingham City (FFS!) a cuppla seasons ago. What in the name of all that is holy are these egomaniacs on??

People can say what they like about Allardyce's style of football, but he's turned Blackburn round on an extremely limited budget. Had they not lost 2-1 away to high-flying Bolton (!) on Saturday, they would now be 8th in The Premiershite. Presumably the new owners are expecting the likes of Mourinho & Guardiola to be beating a path to sunny Blackburn in the next 24 hours...

:lol:

Coyle's done the same at Bolton, with a better brand of football. And at a cheaper cost.

Besides, it's not like Mark Hughes left Blackburn in shambles. Consistent mid-tabler.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Coyle's done the same at Bolton, with a better brand of football. And at a cheaper cost.
Besides, it's not like Mark Hughes left Blackburn in shambles. Consistent mid-tabler.

That may well be true, but in my humble opinion I reckon half the supporters in the Premier League would cheerfully settle for a mid table finish.

Btw, SA actually replaced Ince when they were 2nd bottom.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Big Sam not happy on Twitter at all!
How "big" is he exactly? I always think that sort of description should be reserved for someone 7 ft tall and 25 stone. He's never looked particulaly large on the telly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Once Ashley cracked it has opened the door a little... expect Grant/McCarthy/Martinez and, even Moyes to be looking over their shoulders now....

I've mentioned this before but, a couple of years ago, there was a survey of Prem points per pounds spent and Moyes was second behind Wenger. I think Moyes has got plenty of credit in the bank with that sort of record - and Everton have no reputation as a trigger-happy club.

Grant gone by Christmas though...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here