Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saints match

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd've been more confident of a win if we had lost v barnsley. The fairytale practically writes itself with a team on a 10 game winless run going to face the team with a 100% record... But as we won our last game, that underdog story is ruined. Not so sure anymore.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We're up to 19 in a row with the all time record at 25.

I counted it was 19 successive home wins since the loss to Manchester United.
Southampton | Fixtures | Fixtures Results | 2010

The Albion maximum is 14 successive wins and 31 games undefeated in the early Peter Ward days. It finally game to an end against Wrexham who won 2-0 at the Goldstone having frustrated the Albion attack of Peter Ward and Ian Mellor and scored two on the break after Albion made very small mistakes.

This will be the pattern again as it is so often with away matches. Who is the referee? It might turn out to be important.

By that time, all opponents had put ten men behind the ball and hoped to keep the score under seven. Albion were top of Old Division 3 at the time they played Wrexham.

At the moment Southampton look like going the whole season undefeated at home. Maybe draws against Brighton and Hull, possibly Cardiff. And Reading (if they need the points for the play-offs) and at the last game of the season Coventry will probably already be relegated. Just the Carling Cup could cause a defeat.

I remember years and years ago Coventry went the the whole season in the Old Division Two undefeated at home and Champions, but they lost to Brighton in the League Cup (which did not really count).

I think we will play two banks of four in a 4-4-2 and resist bringing on late subs if it is still 0-0. That is is the usual policy to play deep and hit the home side on the break. Par is 1-0 to Southampton.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd've been more confident of a win if we had lost v barnsley. The fairytale practically writes itself with a team on a 10 game winless run going to face the team with a 100% record... But as we won our last game, that underdog story is ruined. Not so sure anymore.

Totally disagree, if we'd gone there on the back of another defeat we'd be under real pressure to get something as we'd be sliding towards a relegation place. As it is nobody will expect us to win and the pressure is no longer as intense, whether Saints fans like it or not it IS a local derby and any football fan knows that the form book often means nothing in a derby game. ALL the pressure is on Southampton to maintain their record imo as the football world will expect us to lose.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Totally disagree, if we'd gone there on the back of another defeat we'd be under real pressure to get something as we'd be sliding towards a relegation place. As it is nobody will expect us to win and the pressure is no longer as intense, whether Saints fans like it or not it IS a local derby and any football fan knows that the form book often means nothing in a derby game. ALL the pressure is on Southampton to maintain their record imo as the football world will expect us to lose.

I think that applies too much logic to the fairytale premise.

However, there would be the argument that 10 game winless run would lead to similar pressure issues you suggest we currently have. No one would expect a team on a losing streak, who had failed to beat even Barnsley, would have a chance against southampton, least of all the southampton players who would come out thinking this would be a walk in the park, and so don't put in the effort they should. Meanwhile, our team on the back of a tenth game without a win know that as they head to the best team in the world, no one is expecting much from them, so there isn't actually all that much pressure on them, so they're free to play with abandonment because the worst that happens is the expected hammering.

We've just got a win, southampton will be aware of that, and not be so complacent, for fear we're on an upswing, they will come out knowing we've just got a confidence boost and not be so easy to upset.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I remember ending Forests 52 match unbeaten home record as well as Liverpool's first home cup defeat in 9 years so 19 games is nothing. 2-0 to the Albion!

farawaysaint

Oct 1, 2011
I counted it was 19 successive home wins since the loss to Manchester United.
Southampton | Fixtures | Fixtures Results | 2010

The Albion maximum is 14 successive wins and 31 games undefeated in the early Peter Ward days. It finally game to an end against Wrexham who won 2-0 at the Goldstone having frustrated the Albion attack of Peter Ward and Ian Mellor and scored two on the break after Albion made very small mistakes.

This will be the pattern again as it is so often with away matches. Who is the referee? It might turn out to be important.

By that time, all opponents had put ten men behind the ball and hoped to keep the score under seven. Albion were top of Old Division 3 at the time they played Wrexham.

At the moment Southampton look like going the whole season undefeated at home. Maybe draws against Brighton and Hull, possibly Cardiff. And Reading (if they need the points for the play-offs) and at the last game of the season Coventry will probably already be relegated. Just the Carling Cup could cause a defeat.

I remember years and years ago Coventry went the the whole season in the Old Division Two undefeated at home and Champions, but they lost to Brighton in the League Cup (which did not really count).

I think we will play two banks of four in a 4-4-2 and resist bringing on late subs if it is still 0-0. That is is the usual policy to play deep and hit the home side on the break. Par is 1-0 to Southampton.

Frankly I'm just glad to be winning games at home, ever since we left the dell we've always seemed more likely to lose at home. St Mary's just wasn't the fortress the old Dell was until now.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't think one win will make them more or less complacent....perhaps the fact that we went up as champions is more relevant or that they have West Ham close behind gives them all the incentive they need.....either way we go there as the team not expected to get anything ..and they've a bloody good attack

farawaysaint

Oct 1, 2011
I don't think one win will make them more or less complacent....perhaps the fact that we went up as champions is more relevant or that they have West Ham close behind gives them all the incentive they need.....either way we go there as the team not expected to get anything ..and they've a bloody good attack

Best midfield in the division bar none from what I've seen, we're a mite shaky at back at the moment mind with Fonte off form.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
The amount of times they have scored 3 or 4 at home (sometimes before half time) is frightening. We will need a fully fit squad firing on all cylinders to stand any chance. When they go behind they always seem to get straight back into the game. It isn't much of a surprise to me how well they're doing when you look at the players they have. My worry is with our defence - whilst usually being fairly solid, they tend to struggle against trickery and skill. Lallana especially will have their knickers down time after time if they are not on form.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Best midfield in the division bar none from what I've seen, we're a mite shaky at back at the moment mind with Fonte off form.

Well I've only seen highlights of yur team ths season but they've always looked mighty impressive ...I thought yur win against Coventry was significant ....although there down the bottom ..having surrendered a 2goal lead u had the mental toughness to com bak and score 2more

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think Fonte, Lambert and Lallana would be in a Championship best team, but the rest of the players on the field will be also-rans, typical Championship players.

Vicente could upset the applecart, but he does not fit naturally into the Albion system/shape. I think Southampton seem to be playing a higher line that the deep-playing Albion. This means that Craig Mackail-Smith will be a threat. More so than Glenn Murray as Palace have to visit St. Mary's.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I remember ending Forests 52 match unbeaten home record as well as Liverpool's first home cup defeat in 9 years so 19 games is nothing. 2-0 to the Albion!

I was there...first game back for lawrenson after injury.....clock watching for most of the second half as they battered us constantly

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was there...first game back for lawrenson after injury.....clock watching for most of the second half as they battered us constantly
Yup, great result even if the second half did pass about as quickly as the last ice age. Gerry Ryan got the goal IIRC.

How is your ticker these days Dave? Not sure mine could stand another second half like that Forest one!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yup, great result even if the second half did pass about as quickly as the last ice age. Gerry Ryan got the goal IIRC.

How is your ticker these days Dave? Not sure mine could stand another second half like that Forest one!

Didn't our goalie also save a penalty against Robertson? Or am I dreaming .....

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
I have lower back facet joints pains so doing this has helped my posture and the core muscles. I am getting pretty good at it, and have dropped two trouser sizes and gone from Xxl to large in the shirt dept and lost two stone, so after my little brush with the almighty, I feel absolutely great at the moment.

If she has back problems Pilates is the way to go certainly

How long has it taken you to lose 2 stone Granny? Pilates sounds like just what I need.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here