Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saints fan here...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I do think this is all getting over the top. I know rivalry spices things up, but it wasn't that long ago that Southampton invited us to be the last team they played against at the Dell.

Adkins has wound up a lot of Albion fans, but has also admitted it was part of the kiddology, something Gus isn't bad at either. In fact, as it seemed to pump us up, I'd say this time his comments backfired.

But... there's no history of emnity between Saints and Albion fans. I'm not saying I like them more than other teams, but the Saints fans I play football with have long been saying they hope both our teams go up. Southampton is much nearer than Huddersfield, think of the derbies next season - Albion - Palace - Pompey - Saints. It's going to be great - some top games for Falmer.

Our rivalry has always been stronger with Pompey rather than Saints, so let's not let this all overshadow our great season. For some people it seems to be becoming more important than our outstanding Championship win.

Agreed. And all these threads are becoming really really tedious. Can we please now draw a line under this Southampton thing.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Agreed. And all these threads are becoming really really tedious. Can we please now draw a line under this Southampton thing.

Yes, after Preston's drubbing yesterday I think we can now safely look forward to the muppets of Croydon next season, Pompey and SCC will just be a side show.

Oh my f***ing god, people are now bickering over the areas SURROUNDING their respective football stadiums? Do you realise how ridiculously PETTY that is?

I do think this is all getting over the top. I know rivalry spices things up, but it wasn't that long ago that Southampton invited us to be the last team they played against at the Dell.

Adkins has wound up a lot of Albion fans, but has also admitted it was part of the kiddology, something Gus isn't bad at either. In fact, as it seemed to pump us up, I'd say this time his comments backfired.

But... there's no history of emnity between Saints and Albion fans. I'm not saying I like them more than other teams, but the Saints fans I play football with have long been saying they hope both our teams go up. Southampton is much nearer than Huddersfield, think of the derbies next season - Albion - Palace - Pompey - Saints. It's going to be great - some top games for Falmer.

Our rivalry has always been stronger with Pompey rather than Saints, so let's not let this all overshadow our great season. For some people it seems to be becoming more important than our outstanding Championship win.

THIS, THIS AND THIS.

D

Deleted member 18477

SCC f*** off! I'm not having any little red and white prick trying to ruin what has been our best season for years! We are on the up! deal with it! CHAMPIONS! and please get off our forum! do you seriously have nothing better to do?

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
TBH before last year, 99% of saints fans had a soft spot for Albion. I actually quite like you guys, it just seems that both you and Bournemouth have a massive chip on your shoulders. None of us really dislike you. I would rather a southern team does well than a nothern monkey anyday. Friends?

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011

What a great post. We have no quarrel with you! I think both managers have said things which supporters of either team would brand as petty or a bit irritating but at the end of the day that's football. Both managers have their ways of doing things and both have been pretty equal this season since Adkins has come in so clearly both ways work. Lets enjoy the success and heres to thrashing the skates next season (if we go up.)

D

Deleted member 18477

TBH before last year, 99% of saints fans had a soft spot for Albion. I actually quite like you guys, it just seems that both you and Bournemouth have a massive chip on your shoulders. None of us really dislike you. I would rather a southern team does well than a nothern monkey anyday. Friends?

they only had a soft spot because we were shit! as soon as they knew we were serious rivals all the arrogance developed! your fans couldnt hack a little south coast rival being above the 'big' SCC! oh god forbid! and then adkins, what a moron! but if im honest i want you up next season! its games like yesterdays that make me love football! great atmosphere, disappointing result but im not going to complain as we are champions and i did not expect that in august!

plus its the losing that makes the winning even sweeter! ;). Cannot wait for 11/12!

Last edited by a moderator:

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
they only had a soft spot because we were shit! as soon as they knew we were serious rivals all the arrogance developed! your fans couldnt hack a little south coast rival being above the 'big' SCC! oh god forbid! and then adkins, what a moron! but if im honest i want you up next season! its games like yesterdays that make me love football! great atmosphere, disappointing result but im not going to complain as we are champions and i did not expect that in august!

plus its the losing that makes the winning even sweeter! ;). Cannot wait for 11/12!
Where have we Shown that we can't stand it? I still don't know what we are supposed to have done other than a comment by Adkins last year.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
It was annoying when they went absolutely mental when they scored their second goal as if they'd won the league, when actually they were scraping into second place, with 80 points which we got in February.

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
It was annoying when they went absolutely mental when they scored their second goal as if they'd won the league, when actually they were scraping into second place, with 80 points which we got in February.

But quite clearly it was because we didn't expect a result. You are unbeaten at home this season, haven't dropped so much as a point at home in ages and to win is a fantastic result for us. If Plymouth were top of the pile and we had played and beaten them yesterday, the reaction would have been exactly the same. It's a massive shot in the arm to beat the league leaders and is a massive boost to our promotion hopes.

But quite clearly it was because we didn't expect a result. You are unbeaten at home this season, haven't dropped so much as a point at home in ages and to win is a fantastic result for us. If Plymouth were top of the pile and we had played and beaten them yesterday, the reaction would have been exactly the same. It's a massive shot in the arm to beat the league leaders and is a massive boost to our promotion hopes.

After all the build up and the stuff over the PA it's perfectly understandable that you went mad. Sickening, but understandable.

Feb 14, 2010
Souuthampton were always a small club playing at the dingly dell. Strange that some hv a chip on their shoulder about them. Suppose its because we lost the goldstone and our kids dont know we are a big club compared to saints. For me tho saints are not relevant. Palace, pompey sure but saints dont figurre. Shame we didnt serve them up for the 70s farce with spurs tho but always difficult for the players ehen its a dead rubber for the+Sout

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
After all the build up and the stuff over the PA it's perfectly understandable that you went mad. Sickening, but understandable.

Fair enough but I really don't think that is why we went mad. We would have done whatever the circumstances because it is such an important result!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

If we had resurrected our promotion push with two goals in the last five minutes against a side unbeaten at home for 14 months we TOO would have gone disco spack, can't blame them for celebrating............and they were the better side on the day.

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
Souuthampton were always a small club playing at the dingly dell.

We weren't huge sure but comfortably a mid table championship team at least. SOme would argue lower prem (and when you see the likes of Blackpool there you can see what they mean.)
Strange that some hv a chip on their shoulder about them.
I agree. It puzzles me too!

Suppose its because we lost the goldstone and our kids dont know we are a big club compared to saints.

Hmm. Not sure you can say you are a big club compared to saints. Certainly not in terms of history, average attendance or years in the top flight. Obviously attendances long term now will be interesting with your new stadium. Whether you can keep the attendances large in say ten years time will be interesting.

For me tho saints are not relevant. Palace, pompey sure but saints dont figurre. Shame we didnt serve them up for the 70s farce with spurs tho but always difficult for the players ehen its a dead rubber for the+Sout

Good! I wish you well. As I said, would rather you and Bournemouth came up than any of the others. A mini south coast league would be epic.

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
If we had resurrected our promotion push with two goals in the last five minutes against a side unbeaten at home for 14 months we TOO would have gone disco spack, can't blame them for celebrating............and they were the better side on the day.

So there ARE some sensible brighton fans on here. Well done sir.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Er no its not. Its next to a gas works and is walking distance from the station, shops and loads of pubs, unlike your ground which has just a university and a gym next to it.

You're right. I give you the....

Southampton Riviera

022541_b7a260a2.jpg

Feb 14, 2010
Mate a south coast league is not remotely of interest! Saints, bmuff or plymouth just are not relevant. London by sea looks to london more than the south coast towns for rivals. Well except pompey. Bha are nothing like the saints or bmuffs. I know u dont hv the dingly dell anymore but i just dont really see saints bmuff or plymouth as remotely relevant to us

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here