• Seats in corners when filled in, with the centre Safe standing

Votes: 55 30.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I would pay more if that meant I was allowed to stand, yesterday was the best football game I've ever been to..
So would I. Seriously. In my opinion you simply cannot beat a terrace for the 'real' football experience. There is at least now the beginnings of a consensus from the Powers That Be that people want different things from their 'matchday experience'. Some like boxes and the corporate entertaining environment, some like to sit down and watch a game of football, and others like to stand and be more passionate and vocal. That in itself is progress, when all-seater grounds first came in they thought everybody would eventually be happy to sit and that the 'standing gene' would eventually get bred out of football fans. That of course hasn't happened. A football match isn't a Cliff Richard concert or even a tennis match; it's a more passionate environment and tends to invoke a more passionate reaction in the crowd. Most of us would describe ourselves as fans rather than watchers, spectators or an audience.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
i had issues sitting in the north stand, because the guy in front wanted to stand :lolol:

i'd happily settle for all standing, however you'd get endless bitching from some people, best for a bit of both.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I would LOVE to stand all game , North Stand already but get compaints from those around about standing (halfway down the stand) - but yesterday was brilliant and I would love to do that every week at the AMEX.

P.S

Jun 23, 2011
Lancing
I'm quite happy with the current situaton. Although I stand for the whole game I'm knackered by half time so am glad for a sit down until the second half starts.

This.

Especially as I generally have my 5 year old in my arms so he can see, which I'm not bothered about at all but the half time break does help :)

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
as long as there is something to lean on like at Hamburg (i believe that is what is pictured in first reply) then i suppose i wouldnt mind it

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
yea ST in WSU mate. looks like everyone is standing most of the time. especially when the north stand is singing which is a lot of the game!

I would say less than half of the north stand actually stand up, nowhere near the 100% your seeing.

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
good video on the subject: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

makes a good point about how league 1 and 2 clubs are allowed terracing yet championship/PL clubs arnt which seems a bit strange. also how fans are being discriminated when you compare music concerts/other sporting events which allow standing. think a petition should be started to get them in the north stand then the club can reuse the seats for east upper! also at :38 what the hell is going on there!

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
also an example of what it would look like:

safestanding.jpg

didn't realise they also have small metal seats attached so you can rest at half time, surely this would mean the capacity would no longer be increased which is a shame

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
This.

Especially as I generally have my 5 year old in my arms so he can see, which I'm not bothered about at all but the half time break does help :)

The 5 year old in front of me stands on his seat the whole game .

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
also an example of what it would look like:

safestanding.jpg

didn't realise they also have small metal seats attached so you can rest at half time, surely this would mean the capacity would no longer be increased which is a shame

Nope, the seats are locked into position for a standing game, and only lowered for games where there's a requirement for seating (e.g. European.Under 21 games).

You'll see that there are two steps in front of each seat - this is how, according to "Green Guide" regulations, a capacity increase of 1.8 is possible : when sitting down a person is twice as deep as when they're standing "(a row for the legs, a row for the bum!") but not as wide, as they don't move side to side so much - hence 18 people standing in the space occupied by 10 when sitting.

I've sat on that unit pictured - they really are the future!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm very pleased that the safe standing group are so organised and making such sensible suggestions. It feels like there is a real possibility of this and I hope Brighton would be pioneers. A north stand with an atmosphere like at the posh would be awesome at the Amex.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Nope, the seats are locked into position for a standing game, and only lowered for games where there's a requirement for seating (e.g. European.Under 21 games).

You'll see that there are two steps in front of each seat - this is how, according to "Green Guide" regulations, a capacity increase of 1.8 is possible : when sitting down a person is twice as deep as when they're standing "(a row for the legs, a row for the bum!") but not as wide, as they don't move side to side so much - hence 18 people standing in the space occupied by 10 when sitting.

I've sat on that unit pictured - they really are the future!

Can you see when sitting, it looks like that handrail would get in the way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here