Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Harley

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
this is true enough, he is a decent player with a good eye for the game...

BUT i am one of those critical of his losses of possession recently. Why? Because it directly lead to Doncaster's goal and nearly one for Gillingham which I think in the end was cleared off the line. Too much dithering in the centre, the way we play, exposes us horribly when we then lose possession. Hope he sharpens up indeed but who of us know if the level will punish us too many times before he manages to? This is the equation Gus has to make and tbh I suspect why he wants to bring Harley in. It's all very well sticking up for a player but we are going to have to be ruthless about personnel in some quarters, if we want to make the kind of progress as a club that would make us all cream our pants. And who wouldn't want that?

By dropping him you MAY cut out occasional mistakes (which he may well cut out himself if given a run in the team), but you WILL cut out the chances he creates.

He has some great qualities in his game which will be hard to replace. Don't be so quick to overlook them.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
My father in law is an exeter fan and he absolutely loves Harley, said everything attacking wise went through him and he has a cracking strike on him. He was also pretty decent when we played them last season. He'd be a welcome addition to the midfield squad and I dont really see him as a Dicker replacement, just another attacking midfield option.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
By dropping him you MAY cut out occasional mistakes (which he may well cut out himself if given a run in the team), but you WILL cut out the chances he creates.

He has some great qualities in his game which will be hard to replace. Don't be so quick to overlook them.

Not so sure about that. Everything we have created so far this season (granted it is a total of 2 games), has come from the wingers or CMS chasing every single ball down. Dicker will play a good ball across the pitch, rarely forwards and other than that will keep the ball moving (which was vital to our success last year). His lack of pace and the time he needs on the ball has been exposed badly in both games this year and so he really needs to step it up or he will find himself out the squad. Gus can't, and won't, accept a player than is caught in possession every game leading to players charging through on goal. We got away with it last year, but we will be hammered this year.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
I think we will see a lot of games where we start with three "central" midfielders. We saw this a lot last season. A midfield 4 with one winger and another winger on bench to come on if we need to chase the game. Also could see us playing with 5 in midfield and one up as wee did against Gillingham i.e Two wingers, two holding midfielders, and one in behind the forward (Vincelot played this against Gillingham). So all in all think there will plenty of opportunites for Dicker, Sparrow, Harley etc to play together. Harley I guess would be the forward midfielder.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Lets wait for the thread titled 'Harley medical' and get sent to the breast enlargement clinic.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I cant say i blame Harley for only wanting to come on loan, seeing as he stayed on at Exeter he will have only just moved to Wales, maybe moved his family there too.

It could also be a good option for us, he will obviously want to do well to impress Swansea and if they still dont want him, then maybe he will fancy making the move permanent.

On the flip side, if he cant make the step up to the Championship, then we havent committed to signing him and can send him back.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
My father in law is an exeter fan and he absolutely loves Harley, said everything attacking wise went through him and he has a cracking strike on him. He was also pretty decent when we played them last season. He'd be a welcome addition to the midfield squad and I dont really see him as a Dicker replacement, just another attacking midfield option.

In terms of a Dicker replacement I'd like to see Nav's, Sparrow and Vincelot above him in the pecking order tbh.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I love Gary Dicker as a forward-going player, his vision and range of passing is better than literally anyone else in our squad - but I wet myself a bit when he comes deep to get the ball as it does leave us vulnerable. There was a moment early on against Donny when he turned into a tackle, lost possession 30 yards out and Sharp had a pretty tame shot which Casper saved. My brother turned to me and said "If that's Kevin Nolan, we're 1-0 down."

As much as he's a great player he has to learn to cut out that sloppy loss of possession in our own half because better players will punish us. Having Harley or someone similar in can only help our cause for competition, but Dicker has IMO been our weakest link in the first two games and he needs to sharpen up quickly as out of him, Bridcutt and Sparrow, he's the most at risk if another central midfielder comes in.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I do despair of some people on here, really I do...Ryan Harley was signed by Swansea and loaned straight back to Exeter, so has no championship experence what so ever. Now im sure if Gus thinks he is what we need then I have every faith in his opion as Gus is a much better judge of a footballer than I will ever be. But as for everyone else saying he will complete our midfield etc etc...Based on what exactly?....The fact Swansea signed him and loaned him straight back and is now surplus to requirements??....Please note at no stage have I said the player is no good and wont be a good addition to the side. Id just rather see him play more than once or twice personally before I say my view on a player.

Fair comment. I'd be very happy if we got him though. Seen him in highlights a number of times and had a really good eye for a pass, great with boot feet too. I think he'd fit into our side really well.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Not so sure about that. Everything we have created so far this season (granted it is a total of 2 games), has come from the wingers or CMS chasing every single ball down. Dicker will play a good ball across the pitch, rarely forwards and other than that will keep the ball moving (which was vital to our success last year). His lack of pace and the time he needs on the ball has been exposed badly in both games this year and so he really needs to step it up or he will find himself out the squad. Gus can't, and won't, accept a player than is caught in possession every game leading to players charging through on goal. We got away with it last year, but we will be hammered this year.

I just don't think Gary Dicker can do anything right in some fans eyes, including yours by the sounds of it.

There is always someone a section of the fans pick on and unfortunately it looks like it is him this year (and a bit last year). Ankergren, El Abd, and Hammond spring to mind (all useless aren't they?!).

Focus on the positives and leave Gus to sort out the negatives. I'm sure he will.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Probelm with Dicker seems to be that he is blows hot and cold in a team that is incredibly consistent. Add to that he plays in a pretty conspicuous position if he loses the ball and his mistakes are kind of visible even to the layman.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
probelm with dicker seems to be that he is blows hot and cold in a team that is incredibly consistent. Add to that he plays in a pretty conspicuous position if he loses the ball and his mistakes are kind of visible even to the layman.

this

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Probelm with Dicker seems to be that he is blows hot and cold in a team that is incredibly consistent. Add to that he plays in a pretty conspicuous position if he loses the ball and his mistakes are kind of visible even to the layman.

Indeed, an inconsistent player, in a consistent midfield of a consistent team.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
For the record I used to LOVE Dicker but at the tail end of last season and (albeit the first couple of games this season) he does seem the weakest link when it comes to losing possession. Dagenham away was a particular low point. I know the pitch was awful but the 21 other players didnt seem to have a problem.

I take no pleasure in saying that tho.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I like Dicker a lot as a player. Think hes great. But share all the frustrations listed here. The problem, as far as Im concerned, is not one of talent but in the head. Its almost like he thinks the games easier than it is. Maybe thats just the way he is, but in possession he often seems to be at 70%, almost like a training game. Not writing him off at all, just think its perhaps a case of being more switched on or urgent when on the ball.

Buckley on the bench & Harley on the wing?! He'd be signing as a central midfielder to compete with Dicker & Sparrow.

Sparrow deserves a chance this season but it's unfair to right Dicker off this early. Dicker had BY FAR the better season out of the 2 last season.

No, we don't play with two wingers ever, more like Bridcutt, Sparrow and Harley central yet providing left cover like Dicker "tries" to do and Lua Lua floating between wings. Dicker is too slow to provide both his ball playing skills and at the same time cover the left. Against Doncaster there was bags of space on the left, exposing Painter. This is fine, however upon giving that space you need a player who can cover the left. Dicker cannot do that. You could move Sparrow out there as he has the legs, yet Dicker is not in as attack minded and we would lose impetous going forward.

Dicker in that role is not good enough in the Championship. We play it out from the back and link well with Bridcutt but Dicker appears like a Rabbit in the headlights, surrounded by two midfielders in the centre and unable to get involved. He is not involved with the possesion game and when played to him the ball ends up more than likely with the opposition. He hasn't got the engine on him to compete as he has too. In a midfield FIVE it would be a different story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here