Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Harley has gone out on loan to MK Dons (merged)

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Harley is a player who has all the talent, you can tell on the ball he has quality but he is too lazy, cocky and slow to do the pass and often leading to ball being taken off him or intercepted, he will not play at this level again as he is way too slow and doesnt work hard enough.
Yes on the ball he is championship quality but is one of these players who will retire and not have done as much as should have done, Robinson is another he had talent but was too busy posing and messing around than taking his football and talent seriousally and look where he is, Northampton.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
No way can Painter be considered dead wood. He's a good solid defender and essential cover for Bridge. Would be utterly crazy to let him go.

Shame Harley hasn't worked out, he cleary has talent but just doesn't seem to be able to apply it and always looked lazy and disinterested when playing.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I reckon he'll do very well there as it happens, agree about ditching the deadwood though, just Ankergren, Sparrow, Dicker, and Painter to lose this window and wages freed up!
I cannot see painter leaving, he is cheap and reliable as a replacement. Also we are light in defensive options so I expect him to stay at least until the summer

Pole in Goal

Aug 14, 2012
BN1
Not up to the Championship physically but technically he was good enough. To be honest, he wasn't good enough; but MK play the right football to get the best out of him and he was superb last time he was in League 1

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The other thing with Harley is that if we'd have been able to sign him when we first tried to (but he went to Swansea) he'd have had a season with us in League 1 to establish himself in the team. No telling how much that would have helped him.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
We've just got to hold our hands up and admit Harley hasn't worked out for us or him and we're best cutting our losses and getting rid.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Shame it never worked out for Harley will always remember that great free kick,good luck to him .

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Binfest or not, I think Barnes needs to join a L2 club for a while to get some 1st team football education.

Hmm with comments like that, I'm not sure it's Barnes that needs the football education.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
From what i read before the loan window closed last month, Scunthorpe wanted to sign Sparrow on loan but we were being too stubborn with saying how much Scunny should pay for his wages. I can strongly see him going back this Summer, hope he does get regular football as hes a nice guy and a decent player for League 1.

Painter wont go as we have no cover for LB other than Calderon, but he will go in the summer. Also good that Dicker has returned from injury just for the transfer window to open !!!

About time we got rid of Harley anyway, MK Dons can keep the 1 man disaster as far as im concerned.

Scunny are in financial crisis , shit home crowds and in the League 1 relegation zone. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop into League 2 as a way to survive the bad times. Brian Laws was quoted as asking Gus for a big favour by taking Spaz on loan for virtually nothing and in return guaranteeing him first team football.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
That's his level, he should do well. Wonder what chunk of his wages they are paying???...Hopefully if we can off load £12k's worth of wages that could be one decent striker of a centre back.....Problem is Harley will be back, unless he really does well and MK Dons go up, because I can't see them taking him full time unless they are in the championship. Not if he still has another two years at the end of the season with us.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
That's his level, he should do well. Wonder what chunk of his wages they are paying???...Hopefully if we can off load £12k's worth of wages that could be one decent striker of a centre back.....Problem is Harley will be back, unless he really does well and MK Dons go up, because I can't see them taking him full time unless they are in the championship. Not if he still has another two years at the end of the season with us.

The hopeless ginger is contracted until 30th June 2014.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The hopeless ginger is contracted until 30th June 2014.

Fair enough, was not sure on the contract length. Still means he will be back, next year unless he really cuts the mustard. It's not so much a fee, that's not the issue. It's the wages he is on with us, until June 2014. I don't expect MK Dons are paying much more than 33% of his salary, if that.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The other thing with Harley is that if we'd have been able to sign him when we first tried to (but he went to Swansea) he'd have had a season with us in League 1 to establish himself in the team. No telling how much that would have helped him.

Good point, the Swansea move must have messed him around. Harley was excellent for Exeter, fans there consier him on of their best ever, and I have no doubt he could have been a good championship player at that time. Don't know what went wrong for us but wish him the best

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hope he does well - if only to recoup some of our initial outlay on him. Can not believe that no club wants sparrow, he was good at times last season, he is probably refusing to go on a free becausehe will get less wages, but do not blame him at his age.
Letting painter go is dangerous unless one of the development squad is able to back up - to be fair that is what they are there for.

Exactly how do you come to the conclusion that going on a 'free' equates to less wages?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
off subject, I know, but also saw a tweet attributed to Gus where he say's 'going to get a 'proper' number 9 in'........where does that leave Barnes then, who is the current number 9 ?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

He better not be on 12k a week!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Funny how everyone said Painter was so good recently.
Painter technically was plenty good enough, but he would have got ripped to pieces for speed, once the rest of the division cottoned on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone know how much we paid for Harley? It was undisosed at the time. Total waste of money his signing was. Poyet tracked him for a while as well.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
off subject, I know, but also saw a tweet attributed to Gus where he say's 'going to get a 'proper' number 9 in'........where does that leave Barnes then, who is the current number 9 ?
might be the number on his shirt, but when does he actually play that roll

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here