Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I'm beginning to think, be careful what you wish for. Mr genocide could turn out to be a moderate, compared to some of the nazi psychopaths that would strive to replace him.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Proceed with great caution. There is no other independent sign that Putin is not still in complete control of events.

Possible reasons for it:

1. Solovyev has gone off piste. Unlikely.
2. His suggestion was 'soft', including 'imprison those at fault' i.e. Putin isn't at fault etc. Could be a fishing trip.
3. Putin is taking soundings for his planned departure. Possible, but not top of my list at the moment.
4. Someone else is in charge of Solovyev, and is offering Putin a way out.
5. Putin is 'pre-announcing his resignation' with no end date, to wrongfoot the opposition, take the heat off and buy time.

My money's on 2 and 5.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I’d urge you to read the full thread because it is staggering. Not least in how blasé it all is.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I’d urge you to read the full thread because it is staggering. Not least in how blasé it all is.

It's excellent analysis from Conway, thanks for sharing.
Just shows that governments (UK and Germany mainly in this case) pay lip service to their own sanctions, knowing full well that their local manufacturers are benefitting from back door imports. Shameful really ☹️.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm beginning to think, be careful what you wish for. Mr genocide could turn out to be a moderate, compared to some of the nazi psychopaths that would strive to replace him.

The only way they can escalate is to commit suicide by launching nukes. What person wants to become leader of their country only to die shortly afterwards?

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Last edited:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
The only way they can escalate is to commit suicide by launching nukes. What person wants to become leader of their country only to die shortly afterwards?
I'm no fan of Mr Genocide, but at least The West has had the opportunity to learn how to play him. We're up against a guy who isn't exactly a master tactician. We can play on Russian inefficiencies and ineptitude.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm no fan of Mr Genocide, but at least The West has had the opportunity to learn how to play him. We're up against a guy who isn't exactly a master tactician. We can play on Russian inefficiencies and ineptitude.

I feel that he's done a better job of playing us. We shouldn't have let him feel so in control prior to the invasion. And now he'll want to keep fighting. Any leader who replaced him would get instant credit from both Russians and the rest of the world if they withdrew and blamed everything on Putin.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Proceed with great caution. There is no other independent sign that Putin is not still in complete control of events.

Possible reasons for it:

2. His suggestion was 'soft', including 'imprison those at fault' i.e. Putin isn't at fault etc. Could be a fishing trip.
3. Putin is taking soundings for his planned departure. Possible, but not top of my list at the moment.
5. Putin is 'pre-announcing his resignation' with no end date, to wrongfoot the opposition, take the heat off and buy time.

My money's on 2 and 5.

Out of those, I'll guess 2.

For it to have been an off-piste suggestion would be suicidal.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Possible reasons for it:

My money's on 2 and 5.
Or, deliberately said to flush out any 'disloyal' that may agree with the premise?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Or, deliberately said to flush out any 'disloyal' that may agree with the premise?
That's option 2

Did you notice the soft wording by Solovyev? "We should imprison those at fault (not Putin), but Putin may have to resign".

That suggests Putin was the author, and that as you say, it was to flush out anyone disloyal to him.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
A broad (and rather depressing) view from Tatarigami, looking at the situation should Ukraine not get the security guarantees it requests.
For me, it probably won't get these guarantees and will have to fight like hell with it's drone air force to push Russia up against a wall .

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here