Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I've just come across The Icarus Project, created by Paul Warburg, a geopolitics speaker, and a Peter Zeihan lookalike.

Still only small in volume, he has got potential as a resource.

See what you think. If you don't rate the video, the comments are still entertaining.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I've just come across The Icarus Project, created by Paul Warburg, a geopolitics speaker, and a Peter Zeihan lookalike.

Still only small in volume, he has got potential as a resource.

See what you think. If you don't rate the video, the comments are still entertaining.

That was interesting, thanks 👍.
I hadn't realised that China had screwed down the gas import price to such a low level - excellent.
Also, it was a good reminder (to me at least) how important it is to understand history when considering the future: Russia sold Alaska to the US in 1867...

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That was interesting, thanks 👍.
I hadn't realised that China had screwed down the gas import price to such a low level - excellent.
Also, it was a good reminder (to me at least) how important it is to understand history when considering the future: Russia sold Alaska to the US in 1867...
On that last point, China has designs on large chunks of the Russian Federation, which Russia took in the 1850s I think. China would also like Lake Baikal for the fresh water.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
On that last point, China has designs on large chunks of the Russian Federation, which Russia took in the 1850s I think. China would also like Lake Baikal for the fresh water.
Maybe Kamchakhta(sp) should identify as part of/allied with Alaska and sign up to NATO and watch the fur fly!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

What are you thinking?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Maybe Kamchakhta(sp) should identify as part of/allied with Alaska and sign up to NATO and watch the fur fly!
It's funny you should mention Kamchatka.

Because according to the Icarus Project, to the west of Kamchatka, on the Russian mainland, last year China claimed a small disputed Russian island on the Amur River, opposite Khabarovsk. It's called Bolshoy Ussuriysk. It's only 135 square miles, but it represents, as far as I know, the first slice of Siberia where China has replaced Russia.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
What are you thinking?
I was thinking through the last 90 seconds or so of the video @Eric the meek posted on #16163.
Wouldn't it be interesting if Russia lost chunks of Siberia to China (forced sale to pre-empt a potential military loss), in an attempt to keep funding it's war of westward expansion? It would have a certain poetry to it.
Russia and China certainly might have a 'strategic relationship without limits ' or however Putin worded it 😉.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It's funny you should mention Kamchatka.

Because according to the Icarus Project, to the west of Kamchatka, on the Russian mainland, last year China claimed a small disputed Russian island on the Amur River, opposite Khabarovsk. It's called Bolshoy Ussuriysk. It's only 135 square miles, but it represents, as far as I know, the first slice of Siberia where China has replaced Russia.

Probably Russia let China have it as a gesture of goodwill 😂.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
As I have posted before. This guy is the real deal.

Kick Biden and Trump out and get him in.....

Well worth the view and his erudite and knowledgeable reasoned thoughts.

TNBA

TTF

That was very interesting thanks. He's very clear minded and seems apolitical 👍.
In the absence of approval to use NATO supplied long range weapons deeper into Russia, Ukraine seems to only have two options for now:
- developing their own long range weapons, and I read last week that some countries have started helping with this (it can't be a short term delivery though?)
- developing more long range drones with powerful weapon capability.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was thinking through the last 90 seconds or so of the video @Eric the meek posted on #16163.
Wouldn't it be interesting if Russia lost chunks of Siberia to China (forced sale to pre-empt a potential military loss),

Why would Russia lose anything to China militarily? Surely their nuclear doctrine would apply if a country was trying to take its land?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Why would Russia lose anything to China militarily? Surely their nuclear doctrine would apply if a country was trying to take its land?
If that's what Russia tell's us, who are we to doubt them? See an example of Russia's nuclear response in post #16,172.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Putin is feeling increasingly vulnerable.

The mention of F16s in there reminds me of an article/video I saw a couple of weeks ago:
The author explained why it takes a long time to train F16 pilots if they're coming from a lower (eg MIG) base...and it's at least as much to do with the fighting tactics involved as it is for the flying technology.
For effective use of F16s the pilots have to get used to the operations and weapon firing instructions being controlled from the ground, especially when there are say 3 or 4 on a mission.
It's often easier to retrain novice pilots than experienced ones.

Anyway, it was way out of my knowledge area, but I think that was the gist of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here