Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Funny that, whenever someone mentions Big Mac I get a yearning for an Uncle Sam’s Chilli burger, now that is a delicious thought !
Have to agree there. Double chilli cheeseburger is absolutely phenomenal :drool:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's sad. My wife had an online lesson with a Ukrainian lady which had to stop due to missiles.
Can you imagine living and working in that situation?
No demonstrating about Russia aggression though.
Just Palestine?
I would imagine there’d be many more protests in favour of Ukraine if the leaders of western nations were also siding with the aggressor in that conflict. Fortunately, they aren’t.

It’s also worth noting there have been many and frequent protests outside the Russian embassies in every European capital, including London.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Away from the physical war, a good strike in the online misinformation war

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
No demonstrating about Russia aggression though.
Just Palestine?

This isn’t directed at you specifically but why do some people feel the need to compare the war in Gaza with the war in Ukraine and then make passive aggressive comments that not enough attention is being paid to Ukraine in comparison?

This year’s NATO has been all about Ukraine.

If people are not protesting against Russia it is because the British Government and opposition are unequivocal in their utter condemnation of Russian aggression. There is no point in demonstrating against Russian aggression in a Country that has no problem recognising and condemning it as well as providing arms to Ukraine to help protect the Ukranian people. Demonstrations typically involve people protesting for or against actions of their own government.

You may say the international community is not doing enough about Ukraine, it’s never been enough but it’s a darn sight more than they are doing to prevent genocide from the bombing and forced starvation being prosecuted on the people of Gaza. We are even licensing weapons exports to enable that.

So, please stop playing one off over the other. The atrocities being inflicted on both Gazans and Ukranians are equally as cruel and devasting. Their homeland is equally at risk of being destroyed and made inhabitable and thousands of innocent civilians are dying in both cases.

What is happening in the Israel/Gaza war is no less deserving of our attention than this one when it comes to the humanitarian tragedy occurring in both fields of battle.

EDIT
Sorry, that came across as unnecessarily harsh at those rightly very upset and concerned for Ukraine but it is just to say, by way of explanation, I think both situations are equally deserving of our attention not just on humanitarian grounds but for their risk at triggering escalating regional conflict and ultimately (especially with Ukraine) direct nuclear confrontation between Europe/US and Russia/China/Iraq.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I've been aware of Dr. Jack Watling of the Royal United Services Institute since the summer of 2022, soon after the war started. He is an expert in land warfare.

He tells it how it is. Not how he thinks it should be. Not what you want to hear. Just how it actually is. His deadpan, low key style offers up many insights that you might not be aware of. Note there is one question he declines to answer. He gives the reasons why.

As a flavour, play 38:45-40:00. Steel yourselves.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Very harrowing piece. Depressing reality. He states that Russians need to see a better outcome if they cease hostilities, but Putin can't be bought with promises of jam tomorrow. It's death or glory in his eyes. His subjects have been indoctrinated for eons by the state controlled media with bilious rhetoric about how the west is attempting to strangle the motherland economically, and support the territorial erosion of mother Russia. I think we'd need to see Moscow ablaze before he considers an alternative to the subjugation of Ukraine.
How many more lives have to be sacrificed before this deranged psychopath achieves his objectives ? The West is happy to see Russia's military might diluted over a period of time. A speedy end to hostilities was never in their interests. Meanwhile, the sacrifices and suffering that Ukraine has had to make, in order to degrade Russia economically and militarily are both horrifying and incalculable.
Our policy of appeasement has clearly failed. Simply asking Russia not to do it again, when they invaded and annexed Crimea in 2014 didn't prove to be a deterrent, thus encouraging Putin to engulf and enslave neighbouring countries that were not members of Nato. Peace in our time ? I'm not optimistic.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I've been aware of Dr. Jack Watling of the Royal United Services Institute since the summer of 2022, soon after the war started. He is an expert in land warfare.

He tells it how it is. Not how he thinks it should be. Not what you want to hear. Just how it actually is. His deadpan, low key style offers up many insights that you might not be aware of. Note there is one question he declines to answer. He gives the reasons why.

As a flavour, play 38:45-40:00. Steel yourselves.

I've listened from 38 mins to the end, will hear the rest later.
It's a tough listen but sounds realistic and I also agree with conclusions of @Binney on acid.
It's a good question...what gives a better outcome for Russia than continuing the war? begs the question of course of why should they have any better outcome after all the destruction and war crimes...
To me (I could be wrong) even cast iron security guarantees for Russia (ffs 🤦🏼‍♂️) and Ukraine not joining NATO won't be enough for Russia... because I think what they also really want is the mineral and agricultural wealth of Ukraine too.
Thanks for posting the video @Eric the meek .

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Daily Life in Ukraine:
We heard yesterday that my wife's nephew (early 30s) was mobilised 3 days ago. He'd had contact with the military who spent a couple of weeks investigating his qualifications (marine engineer), and also his family and social media background for any signs of Russian sympathizing (it's a Russian speaking area).

For now, his wife doesn't know where he is (reasonable enough). We hope his skills can be used for say engine maintenance (Kherson?) or even sea-drone work 🤞🏻.
His wife is at work most days, and this is mainstream in cities as many men try to avoid the draft by staying off of company employee lists.
Their son, about 9 years, stays home alone at the moment (yes). We will try to help find a better solution. Our niece (who's lived with us since the war began) is visiting Zaporizhzhia for a few weeks soon and she'll help with child care while there.
These stories will be repeated in their thousands across Ukraine weekly.
A micro look at life there.
Sorry, bit of a brain dump.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here