Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

“Russia's foreign minister welcomes Trump's VP choice​

Russia's foreign minister has welcomed Donald Trump's choice of running mate, JD Vance.

Sergei Lavrov said Kyiv's allies "need to stop pumping Ukraine full of weapons and then the war will end".
Mr Vance fiercely opposes aid to Ukraine and has expressed doubt that the war is a major national security concern for the US.

They are celebrating in Moscow today

“During his short time in the Senate, Vance has been a leader in opposing U.S. aid to Ukraine. “I gotta be honest with you, I don’t really care what happens to Ukraine one way or another,” he told Stephen K. Bannon in 2022. In a May speech to the Quincy Institute, an isolationist think tank, Vance said, “I do not think that it is in America’s interest to continue to fund an effectively never-ending war in Ukraine.”

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Russia's foreign minister has welcomed Donald Trump's choice of running mate, JD Vance.

Sergei Lavrov said Kyiv's allies "need to stop pumping Ukraine full of weapons and then the war will end".
Mr Vance fiercely opposes aid to Ukraine and has expressed doubt that the war is a major national security concern for the US.

“During his short time in the Senate, Vance has been a leader in opposing U.S. aid to Ukraine. “I gotta be honest with you, I don’t really care what happens to Ukraine one way or another,” he told Stephen K. Bannon in 2022. In a May speech to the Quincy Institute, an isolationist think tank, Vance said, “I do not think that it is in America’s interest to continue to fund an effectively never-ending war in Ukraine.”

Is it acceptable yet to call this Vance a cn ut?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Indeed, but as we saw in the video, if a rogue nation is determined to do it, it is very difficult to prove, prosecute and prevent.
NATO needs to think carefully about this whole subject, whether there is even an answer and perhaps explore alternative technologies.
I guess in national waters countries could dictate shipping/fishing routes into certain channels, to make it easier to control or identify rogues...but I imagine that would be far harder in international waters.
Could start training to cut Russian cables...if they have any 🤔

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014

Brave man if he has upset the Arms industry. He’d better watch his back.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
First benefit of global warming ...a Russian nuclear power station has failed in the heat 👍
Now that's unfortunate timing.

I read somewhere yesterday (as usual, I've forgotten where I read it - I know, I know), that Putin was warning the far flung regions to expect power cuts. The reason/excuse he made was that mining operations were taking unauthorised amounts of electricity. Luckily, electricity supplies in Moscow and St. Petersburg are unaffected.

You could say it was a canary in the coalmine?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Now that's unfortunate timing.

I read somewhere yesterday (as usual, I've forgotten where I read it - I know, I know), that Putin was warning the far flung regions to expect power cuts. The reason/excuse he made was that mining operations were taking unauthorised amounts of electricity. Luckily, electricity supplies in Moscow and St. Petersburg are unaffected.

You could say it was a canary in the coalmine?
Aahh...he cares so much about the far flung regions that he gives them advance warning 👍.
Like you, I read a number of things and decide they're not relevant enough to post here. The next week something happens and they become very relevant...and I can't remember where I saw it 🤦🏼‍♂️

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Three snippets from today's European Political Community meeting.
Stoltenberg's answer is no doubt political, and the US could unilaterally pull their support for Ukraine.

1. Nato Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg told the BBC he expected the US to continue its support of the defence bloc regardless of who won the upcoming presidential election

2. Away from the summit, Ursula von der Leyen won a second term as European Commission president

3. Ukrainian and Czech leaders sign defence and security deal on the fringes of the summit.
T
he two nations' cabinets met in Prague earlier this week, signing agreements that include opening a new armaments factory in Ukraine in co-operation with Czech-owned small calibre ammunition manufacturer Sellier & Bellot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here