Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I remember hearing one commentator (it might have been Hodges, but I'm not sure), saying that the F-16s, complete with pilots who have completed their training, would not be ready in time for this offensive.
That's certainly true, but we will have to plan for Ukraine's security for the foreseeable future whatever happens in this counter-offensive

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I've got no military expertise apart from the large amounts of reading i've been doing since this war started, but my understanding is that they wouldn't be directly engaging with each other as helicopters and planes aren't operating anywhere near the other sides lines as they would be too exposed to anti aircraft fire. Instead the Russians are using aerial power well behind the lines as a flying platform for firing missiles and Ukraine would have to do the same even if they had access to this sort of kit
Ukraine needs ATACMS and have done for ages.

This would be the game changer. US dithering on their supply.

Last edited:

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
Polite request - when using acronyms (like ATACMS) could you please add the words for the benefit of those of us with next to no knowledge of military jatgon? Taa.
Just copy it and search on another tab. That way you get more of an insight. I had no idea either.
Safe to say these will turn the tide a little in the same way the storm shadows are.
Seems they will get them but not after 1 year due to needing to be manufactured.
I'd love to see Putin reach the gates of hell strapped to one of these.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Polite request - when using acronyms (like ATACMS) could you please add the words for the benefit of those of us with next to no knowledge of military jatgon? Taa.

I guessed at Air To Air Cruise MissileS but haven’t yet googled it to see whether I’m right or not.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Army tactical missile system..... fired from the same launchers as shorter range HIMARS they already have. Will give Ukraine range to hit everything inc Crimea (bridge), and great as counter battery fire.

Right now it seems the Russians have a tactic that's working to a degree, where they fire missiles from KA52 helicopters or aircraft at longer range to avoid being shot down, straight at Ukrainian lines..... at same they move forward lancet suicide drones, Ukraine then has a hobsons choice of not using missile defence and getting hit by those missiles or using missile defence, revealing missile defence location, then Russian use suicide drones against missile defence positions.

Longer range counter ATACMS can wipe out the aircraft/bases and more logistics hubs, are highly mobile too. Storm shadow need pre programmed static positions entered, then loaded onto aircract and fired, ATACMS can lock onto where something comes from using radar and hit it back at range and it's highly mobile.

In saying that, the aircraft launched storm shadow is doing really well, but it's only our export version we've given Ukraine, which has half the range as our own British used version, which could also hit the Crimea bridge if given as as a static location could be used. On front line against mobile positions ATACMS better.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Russia issues more threats, seemingly in an attempt to head off a Ukraine advance into Crimea:

They've issued multiple threats and red lines about pretty much everything.

Ultimately Crimea is Ukraine, is internationally recognised as Ukraine, so Ukraine can do whatever it needs to remove the fascist invaders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here