Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
You may consider the statement 'I have 25 million reservists' not as a statement of strength, but a statement of weakness.
It may be an inadvertent admission that Shoigu doesn't have many more professionally trained troops left. Or perhaps none at all.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
its all flannel.

Not only does he not have a fraction of that, whats he going to send his reserve horde into battle with?

theyve got major manufacturing issues and couldnt even train and equip 1 million.
“One man gets the rifle, the next man gets some bullets. The second man follows the man with the rifle, and when he is shot, picks up the rifle and carries on fighting!”

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I wonder how many Russians have died fighting this war already, saw a BBC article that says atleast 25k, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like 10x this amount.

Haven't they lost 20k in the fight for Bakhmut?
The Bakhmut combatants were mainly Wagner, so they took the losses not the Russian Army.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
its all flannel.

Not only does he not have a fraction of that, whats he going to send his reserve horde into battle with?

theyve got major manufacturing issues and couldnt even train and equip 1 million.
True. Even so, I guess the large numbers Russia can put into battle (properly armed or not) can still bog down Ukrainian advances in many locations. It would be nice to see some mass surrenders from Russian troops ... that would be telling (assuming their commanders are not shooting them in the back).🇺🇦

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
its closer 200k dead than 25k.
It says something about the Russian regime, that while it uses mobile crematoria to dispose of the dead bodies, it takes a public service organisation in a country not directly involved in the war, but understands the sanctity of human life, to go to the painstaking task of validating and verifying war losses. The 25k figure that the BBC has arrived at, are only the ones they are aware of, have been able to check on, and are sufficiently confident to publish.

When this is all over, one task for the west will be to try and convince the disbelieving Russian public that this has really happened. How do we do that? I don't know.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wonder how many Russians have died fighting this war already, saw a BBC article that says atleast 25k

They said that they had actually named and identified 25k by Feb 2023. I think their estimate at Feb 23 was 60k (could be more, could be fewer).

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
And a disproportionate percentage are likely to be from the far flung provinces, poor areas, ethnic minorities...anything to reduce the number of body bags (hence the mobile crematoria also) that return to St Petersburg and Moscow.
I wonder by how many the Russian prison population has declined

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
anything to reduce the number of body bags.
NSC’s advertising algorithm is working overtime to come up with creative solutions;

IMG_6793.jpeg

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
There's a reddit called ukrainewarvideoreport which is full of footage from the frontline as well as some analysis. The footage is staggering, how they are using standard commercial drones to drop grenades for example, or "kamikaze drones", and much of the fighting wouldn't look out of place in WW1 either. I'd recommend avoiding anything marked as NSFW but the POW videos are worth looking at in the context of the discussion above - the Russian army is full of elderly, unfit, ill-equipped soldiers many of whom don't seem to know why they are there and despise their commanders. Clearly that's not all of them, and it doesn't make them easy to defeat nor to be underestimated, but it does seem to be a lot of them.

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
There's a reddit called ukrainewarvideoreport which is full of footage from the frontline as well as some analysis. The footage is staggering, how they are using standard commercial drones to drop grenades for example, or "kamikaze drones", and much of the fighting wouldn't look out of place in WW1 either. I'd recommend avoiding anything marked as NSFW but the POW videos are worth looking at in the context of the discussion above - the Russian army is full of elderly, unfit, ill-equipped soldiers many of whom don't seem to know why they are there and despise their commanders. Clearly that's not all of them, and it doesn't make them easy to defeat nor to be underestimated, but it does seem to be a lot of them.
Thank you, I'll take a look 👍

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I wonder how many Russians have died fighting this war already, saw a BBC article that says atleast 25k, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like 10x this amount.

Haven't they lost 20k in the fight for Bakhmut?
All figures given by Russia are Russian Army dead. They certainly don't include Donetsk and Luhansk "Peoples Republic" troops and ( I assume ) leave out PMC Wagner losses.

Convenient for PR.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All figures given by Russia are Russian Army dead. They certainly don't include Donetsk and Luhansk "Peoples Republic" troops and ( I assume ) leave out PMC Wagner losses.

Convenient for PR.
They don't actually give the Russian Army dead anyway. They mobilised something like 120,000 people on the border, to invade Ukraine. If they've only lost a few thousand of those, why did they then need to mobilise another 300,000 men?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here