Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Everything's largely on hold because it's winter and the whole place is frozen solid. Come April things will really start to get moving again.

European campaigning season is afoot. Everyone since the Romans knows when to wage war in Europe, and it's sure as hell not February.
Well they did last year in February

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Well they did last year in February
Maybe it should have been 'Everyone since the Romans (apart from the Russians) knows when to wage war in Europe, and it's sure as hell not February.'

Remember that 35 mile long convoy in March?
The one that didn't have enough food, fuel, spare parts and had the wrong tyres? Trucks broke down, couldn't be fixed, and blocked the road for the rest of the convoy.
So some vehicles went off-road and got stuck in the mud as the ground began to melt. They were a sitting target.

Then there were the clips of Ukrainian farmers nicking the tanks. Memes about Lego producing a tractor set, complete with a free Russian tank. Brilliant.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Nicks

My Son currently teaching Ukrainian Special Forces in the use of the latest Drones. The lady in the photo is the interpreter.
Screenshot_2023-02-26-18-22-42-27_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Well you could argue that having 3000 Russian schoolchildren over here rather lessens the idea of a nuclear war - I dont suppose Vlad could put that past his sponsors?
You could also argue that Putin has shown no compunction in sending Ukranians or Russions to their deaths whatever their ages in the cause of his twisted, outdated ideology.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Rifles hidden in boxes of fish. The lives of Ukrainian resistance fighters in Russian occupied Kherson.

What chance do the Russians have? They aren't just fighting the Ukrainian military. They are fighting the ingenuity and courage of people like these.
This report from France 24. Commentary is in English.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Russia’s demographics are screwed. Even before that by 2050 one third of the population was due to be 65+ with little pension provision.
That would be a huge problem for a Western country, but Russia and China are much better equipped to deal with the issue. Just let them die.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Russian "Awacs" plane destroyed/badly damaged by saboteurs in Belarus.

Another important Russian asset gone.

Possible false flag? The Belarusians said only last week that any attacks on them would bring them into the conflict. ???

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I posted a report a few days ago from Steve Rosenberg, BBC Russia editor, quoting a Russian editor of a newspaper warning of a decade of civil war.

Then there was the report a few months ago, of Putin increasing the budget for internal security by 40%. He is anticipating unrest.

There's another possible indicator, that I didn't pick up on at the time. In his state-of-the-nation address last week, Putin pledged to bring forward the completion of the new highway to Kazan, the regional capital of Tatarstan, some 500 miles east of Moscow. Why did he do that? Does he feel the need to address complaints from Tatarstan and further east, where the paved roads end? Is it because he has discovered that good roads are important to move tanks and trucks to keep the locals in line?

Interesting times. As an aside, look at the woman sitting next to Sidelnikov. She's looking very sideways at his phone.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I posted a report a few days ago from Steve Rosenberg, BBC Russia editor, quoting a Russian editor of a newspaper warning of a decade of civil war.

Then there was the report a few months ago, of Putin increasing the budget for internal security by 40%. He is anticipating unrest.

There's another possible indicator, that I didn't pick up on at the time. In his state-of-the-nation address last week, Putin pledged to bring forward the completion of the new highway to Kazan, the regional capital of Tatarstan, some 500 miles east of Moscow. Why did he do that? Does he feel the need to address complaints from Tatarstan and further east, where the paved roads end? Is it because he has discovered that good roads are important to move tanks and trucks to keep the locals in line?

Interesting times. As an aside, look at the woman sitting next to Sidelnikov. She's looking very sideways at his phone.
As much as I hope the rumours, that Putin's grip on power is failing, are true, I'm very sceptical about this civil war narrative, as it's likely just western propaganda. Much like the 'Putin is terminally ill' stuff.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
In terms of impact I'm afraid this is mainly bollocks. As far as I know, Sidelnikov and his 'council' are London and Europe based (their meeting was held in Warsaw). Yes, they are anti-Putin ... and I think that's it.
The Mirror have of course bigged it up, implying this 'revolution bill' was proposed in Moscow or somesuch.
Nothing to see here, unfortunately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here