Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Because I can see the logic (whether I agree with it or not) in every other action he has taken. It has all been about either self or soviet preservation, or both.

Nuclear war achieves neither. It wouldn't help him towards what he wants, in fact the exact opposite. He would die (probably near immediately) his legacy being the man who had destroyed Russia.

I can't foresee a situation where that goal is what he wants to achieve.
I take your point, and to be fair, it's a powerful argument.

Let's hope that his propensity for miscalculation does not extend to the use of nuclear weapons, and that all the sabre-rattling is bluster.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I take your point, and to be fair, it's a powerful argument.

Let's hope that his propensity for miscalculation does not extend to the use of nuclear weapons, and that all the sabre-rattling is bluster.
I have to concede at this moment that I am a natural optimist, as well... :)

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Because I can see the logic (whether I agree with it or not) in every other action he has taken. It has all been about either self or soviet preservation, or both.

Nuclear war achieves neither. It wouldn't help him towards what he wants, in fact the exact opposite. He would die (probably near immediately) his legacy being the man who had destroyed Russia.

I can't foresee a situation where that goal is what he wants to achieve.
Spite

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We’re currently in Prague, our first ever time behind what was the Iron Curtain.

ED890DFF-DDCD-4AB9-8990-9293D133FFD1.png

Ukrainian flags literally everywhere. We’re staying in the embassies district in a suburb. Every embassy except the (kind of mothballed) Russian, has a giant Ukrainian flag flying from it. It’s interesting to see sentiment from the rest of the world aside the UK and it’s heart-warming.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
We’re currently in Prague, our first ever time behind what was the Iron Curtain.

View attachment 157697

Ukrainian flags literally everywhere. We’re staying in the embassies district in a suburb. Every embassy except the (kind of mothballed) Russian, has a giant Ukrainian flag flying from it. It’s interesting to see sentiment from the rest of the world aside the UK and it’s heart-warming.
Fabulous city. The architecture is absolutely stunning. Enjoy!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

View attachment 157697

Lucky man, went there about 10 years ago, beautiful city and a huge selection of great beers.

They loathe the Russians so not surprised by the flags.

Both bits of the old Czechoslovakia are NATO Members - Piss off Putin... :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lucky man, went there about 10 years ago, beautiful city and a huge selection of great beers.

They loathe the Russians so not surprised by the flags.

Both bits of the old Czechoslovakia are NATO Members - Piss off Putin... :thumbsup:
Arrived late morning, already spent time in the castle, a guided tour and the old town. Incredibly cold after a mild winter, light snow and chilled to the bone. So cold I skipped the beer (lightweight :lolol:). First time we’ve seen central European architecture and been in a Slavic language nation. The taxi driver, young and intelligent, was highly critical of aspects of the EU.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Arrived late morning, already spent time in the castle, a guided tour and the old town. Incredibly cold after a mild winter, light snow and chilled to the bone. So cold I skipped the beer (lightweight :lolol:). First time we’ve seen central European architecture and been in a Slavic language nation. The taxi driver, young and intelligent, was highly critical of aspects of the EU.
How many times have you walked across the Charles Bridge??😀

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
When I visited with wifey and some friends we loved it. Great food and drink with plenty of things to see and do.

Just a little story, we booked a river trip and were walking along the pathway alongside to find our boat. We noticed a film crew walking towards us filming a young lady. As she came closer she proceeded to take all her clothes off and simply walk naked through us and plenty of other tourists. It seemed staged but she was loving it.
One of the wife's checked on the web and apparently they do this quite often, weird

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When I visited with wifey and some friends we loved it. Great food and drink with plenty of things to see and do.

Just a little story, we booked a river trip and were walking along the pathway alongside to find our boat. We noticed a film crew walking towards us filming a young lady. As she came closer she proceeded to take all her clothes off and simply walk naked through us and plenty of other tourists. It seemed staged but she was loving it.
One of the wife's checked on the web and apparently they do this quite often, weird
Whereabouts exactly?

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
My apologies. The joys of Russian state TV. I do appreciate that some people find it frightening. That is why I don't post clips of it these days.
My take on it, is that the stuff they talk about, is confirmation that they live in a world of their own. A world with no judgement, no balance, no perspective, no finesse, no feedback, and no disagreement. A world in which they truly believe that the one who makes the loudest, worst threats, wins the argument.

Here's an alternative view of Russian military:
1) When Biden visited Kyiv, they tried a test launch of a Sarmat missile. It blew up on launch.
2) In one of the twitter replies on the Yellowstone clip (I won't post it), the writer said that Russian nukes pose more threat to Russia than anyone else!
Can you pm me on said clip. Thanks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With its vast area and largely untapped natural resources, Russia could have been at least as wealthy as Canada or Australia.
What? With it's vast natural resources, Russia could have easily been one of the richest few countries in the world.

Instead of using that wealth to generate more wealth, and share it out with the people, building schools and hospitals, he carved it up for thugs to keep him in power, spending the rest on vast quantities of weapons to bully neighbouring countries.
Indeed.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Can't see his face or their faces and it's already been posted in social media elsewhere, so no problems with this.
My concern would be possible breach of the Official Secrets Act [not trying to lecture - honest].
What your lad is doing is admirable, but if he's in the military, engaging with foreign armed [or special] forces, maybe you should not be sharing this publicly [I fully recognise you must understandably be very proud of his work]
A lot of my work in the past would have got me in hot water if it had been posted in the public domain.
I had to choose very carefully what I did and didn't share with friends and family.

Sorry to be a kill-joy ...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Struggling to see how this alleged " provocation " by Ukrainian forces on Russian soil fits in with the current narrative. Putin states that UA forces fired on a civilian vehicle injuring the occupants including a child. But...every day Russia fires on civilians in Ukraine ? ...surely a but late for the old Cold War Provocation game now ?

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
Struggling to see how this alleged " provocation " by Ukrainian forces on Russian soil fits in with the current narrative. Putin states that UA forces fired on a civilian vehicle injuring the occupants including a child. But...every day Russia fires on civilians in Ukraine ? ...surely a but late for the old Cold War Provocation game now ?
It's for their domestic audience, don't forget the Russian people do not get shown any of the bombing on civilian targets in Ukraine. This is so he can generate anger towards the Ukrainians and inturn gaining Putin more support. This helps Putin in two ways gains him more support and takes attention away from the reasons for the war and to focus instead on hatred towards Ukraine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here