Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have no idea what that means, and it's impossible to know (just by reading it) whether it's a parody or not.

It is ridiculous isn't it. I fact checked it as it sounded more nonsensical than usual for Trump. He is also quoted rabbiting on about windmills for electric generation when asked about the war. He is truly an idiot of the highest order.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is ridiculous isn't it. I fact checked it as it sounded more nonsensical than usual for Trump. He is also quoted rabbiting on about windmills for electric generation when asked about the war. He is truly an idiot of the highest order.
It's mind boggling how people could elect him as president. When trying to comprehend his words from either debates or speeches, it seems as if he's absolutely shitfaced.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Former USSR states falling out now Putin is unable to send troops in to keep them in order :

[Tweet]1570846486912729091[/Tweet]

On top of the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Former USSR states falling out now Putin is unable to send troops in to keep them in order :

[Tweet]1570846486912729091[/Tweet]

Are those two actually indepemdent sovereign states, recognised by the UN, etc?

Is one or either of them a Putin lackey-state like Belarus?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

they're independent states, however with some wavey borders and old grudges. there's supposed to be a union CSTO to aid each other bit NATO lite, with Russia as the dominant power. really just for them to ensure their neighbours all playing nicely. as Russia is preoccupied, Azerbaijan has had a ruck with Armenia, and now these two.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Yes, they are full UN countries. Not sure about Putin's influence level tbh.

The non fully recognised states are places like South Ossetia and Abkhazia which are breakaways from Georgia. It'll be interesting if Putin is still able to prop them up.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
they're independent states, however with some wavey borders and old grudges. there's supposed to be a union CSTO to aid each other bit NATO lite, with Russia as the dominant power. really just for them to ensure their neighbours all playing nicely. as Russia is preoccupied, Azerbaijan has had a ruck with Armenia, and now these two.

Indeed. Those four independent nations arose from the dissolution of the USSR in 1991.

But there are also 120 different ethnic groups left within the current Russian Federation.

Given the fact that Putin didn't see his 'special military operation' developing into a rout of his troops, it's unlikely that he would have considered that his actions could:

1) unite the ethnically diverse Ukrainians against Russia
2) facilitate unrest in the multitude of ethnic groups within Russia.

The next few years could be interesting viewing, especially if there is a power vacuum in Moscow.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Trump is still Republican leader and his comments about Putin's invasion of Ukraine being a smart move are starting to look even more stupid than before. Biden has quietly armed Ukraine to the hilt and it is paying dividends. Politically this is a big win for Biden.

Indeed. The ‘quietly’ bit is key. The US let others take the credit for leading with the support for the Ukraine whilst they snuck in tons and tons of game changing weaponry.

It will take Russia years and years to replace the military hardware they have lost and are currently losing.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
In a big "sod off" to Putin, ex-USSR Kazakhstan is leaving the CSTO to align more with China. Lol.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sounds like yon Vlad has had to explain himself to a president Xi today. Bet he found that awkward. Wish I’d been a fly on the wall.

Can you understand Russian or Mandarin?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Apparently the wonderful Russians have been relocating Ukranian children from the occupied areas into Foster families all over Russia and they seem to be boasting about it as well.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Cheers. So - Ukraine didn't sign up, then.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
In a big "sod off" to Putin, Kazakhstan is leaving the CSTO to align more with China. Lol.

I've been reading a bit about the CSTO. It's a security alliance, and Russia's attempt at pretending to copy Nato. Current members are Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan (or maybe not - see above), Kyrgyzstan, Russia, and Tajikistan. According to Wikipedia, they have a peacekeeping force and a collective rapid reaction force.

As well as two members, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan having border issues, Armenia is having a skirmish with Azerbaijan, and guess what? The CSTO is refusing to provide any troops. Reports suggest that Russia cannot spare any troops from Ukraine. Excellent.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That's ethnic cleansing. It's beyond reprehensible.
The charge sheet is long and horrifying. Sadly I can see Putin and his cronies getting away with it yet again, just like the Malaysian Airways flight, just like Salisbury just like Bucha.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The charge sheet is long and horrifying. Sadly I can see Putin and his cronies getting away with it yet again, just like the Malaysian Airways flight, just like Salisbury just like Bucha.

Not this time. He's totally cornered, there's no way out of the trap of his own making.

Not only the murder, torture and genocide of Ukrainians, but over 50k Russian soldiers dead. US/NATO/EU and allies etc are now in too deep and the level of the atrocities being committed means there's just no way back to normal relations with Putins Russia. The isolation/sanctions and weapons to Ukraine won't stop.

He claims Russia is under existential threat (obvs not true, though his regime is), but if that were true wouldn't he have general mobilisation like Ukraine has had and why hasn't he? He can't, because he has bullshitted the public and built up a cult of his and Russian invincibility, claiming successes in the "special military operation" and trying to hide failures and death toll.

Mobilisation will cause huge social unrest in Russia that presently is shielded from it except for TV and show up Putin and his army as losing. Most analysts believe if he did this it will quickly set in train forces that he couldn't control and would sweep him away.... besides it takes months and if equiped professional army is getting arse kicked, Ill equipped cannon fodder can't help.

He can't surrender as that's his end too, all he can do is double down, Carry on and hope for something, as Ukraine attrition continues of his army and more slips from his grasp. Its inevitable, he's already lost, he cannot win, its just the timing and way he falls that's not known, but he will fall.

And that's why I hope there is a plan for a post Putin Russia that could collapse spectacularly at some not too distant point. We've seen the disasters of power vacuums in others conflicts won and peace lost, and what Xi just did with Kazakhstan should leave nobody under any illusion that China will sweep into that vacuum if the West doesn't have a plan.

Lukashenko of Belarus who has tied himself to a corpse in Putin is brown nosing Xi and with nowhere left to turn I expect China to make a move on Belarus too.

From 1991 Kazahstan was in the CTSO (former Soviet nations NATO equivalent) until 2 days ago when it announced it was leaving. The very next day it announced a new security arrangement with China and Xi is proclaiming he will vigorously defend Kazakhstan against any country that seeks to influence or destabilise it.

Forget Belt and Road to gain economic leverage. Xi is going to fully capitalise on Putins disastrous decision and pull Moscows former Soviet satellites away, unless others do first.

That's why Pelosi is in Armenia today. The post Putin scramble is already underway.

Hes a dead man walking imho.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't think there is much doubt now that all the former USSR states east of the Caspian Sea will now fall under China's 'control'. Well done, Putin.

The states to the west of the Caspian - Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan - are more uncertain, but Turkey certainly looks to dominate in that region.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I don't think there is much doubt now that all the former USSR states east of the Caspian Sea will now fall under China's 'control'. Well done, Putin.

The states to the west of the Caspian - Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan - are more uncertain, but Turkey certainly looks to dominate in that region.

The problem with this is that China’s record with Islam isn’t great so it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out in the ‘stans’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here