Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I’m just glad Kamala Harris is being dispatched whilst sleepy Joe dribbles his porridge

I’m sure she’ll just laugh her way through it , like she does everything , as she’s absolutely clueless :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m just glad Kamala Harris is being dispatched whilst sleepy Joe dribbles his porridge

I’m sure she’ll just laugh her way through it , like she does everything , as she’s absolutely clueless :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without wanting to appear sexist - war or avoidance of war - is a mans game. If Putin doesnt even respect his own people and rules by fear of reprisal to the majority do you seriously think he is going to pay any attention to a female American politician - hell its clear he even senses a much weaker USA since Biden took over. Also, remember a few weeks ago when Liz Truss went to Russia to "be diplomatic", the Russian defence minister basically accused her of being deaf and dumb.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
A reminder of which side our government are on and why you'll never see Boris at the end of the long table

[tweet]1496220637370765313[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Well colour me stunned.

[tweet]1496227194921750529[/tweet]

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well colour me stunned.

[tweet]1496227194921750529[/tweet]

Not surprised, it just fits into the same QAnon, anti-vax, pro-Trump, any enemy of Nato is a friend of mine complete nonsense.

It's making it up as you go along ideology by fusing together completely incongruous bits you like.

That's the internet for you.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Just heard Truss on Sky news, apparently Johnson ‘mis spoke’ in the house when stating Abramovich had previously been sanctioned, is ‘mis spoke’ the new term for fibbing ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not surprised, it just fits into the same QAnon, anti-vax, pro-Trump, any enemy of Nato is a friend of mine complete nonsense.

It's making it up as you go along ideology by fusing together completely incongruous bits you like.

That's the internet for you.

He is right about seeing as Biden being weak, I’m also not sure he would have done this with Trump in charge - which isn’t an endorsement of him.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He is right about seeing as Biden being weak, I’m also not sure he would have done this with Trump in charge - which isn’t an endorsement of him.

Looking at the quotes I expect that Trump would have joined up with Putin in the invasion. I’d rather have Biden in the White House than a gun toting megalomaniac redneck. That said, I can understand Biden being conceived as weak (4th jab material).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i watched a couple of foreign politicans and analysts yesturday morning praise UK quick reaction (along with others). today the news is our politicans complain how we havent done enough and various inferences about bias. we cant even maintain a united front in one country, no wonder Putin thinks he'll get away with it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A reminder of which side our government are on and why you'll never see Boris at the end of the long table

[tweet]1496220637370765313[/tweet]

I wouldn't say "almost entirely" but they've taken a shit load of cash from them. We were infiltrated years ago right up to the House of Lords

Is the Johnson "anyone for tennis" money going to be returned?

Very weak sanctions yesterday, almost nothing, the 3 oligarchs sanctioned were already done so by the US in 2018. Biggest move from Germany, a big sacrifice...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
i watched a couple of foreign politicans and analysts yesturday morning praise UK quick reaction (along with others). today the news is our politicans complain how we havent done enough and various inferences about bias. we cant even maintain a united front in one country, no wonder Putin thinks he'll get away with it.
All that has happened is that people have now looked at the scale of the first tranche of Johnsons " Barrage " of sanctions and realised its bluster as normal.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
All that has happened is that people have now looked at the scale of the first tranche of Johnsons " Barrage " of sanctions and realised its bluster as normal.

It is bluster. A handful of people and some banks nobody has ever hear of.

We needs tough leadership, not someone who's so fatally compromised in every area he literally couldn't do anything useful even if he was suddenly magically turned into someone who wasn't useless.

I'd have been fine with him saying, like Biden, this is fairly moderate, but we'll do X,Y and Z if to come if Russia escalates

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
And if a country wants to nationalize industry or turn pro-communist, who are we to deny them? Yet thats what were doing all over the world, and shouldnt expect Russia to be any different in that regard.

how very conveniently put. It is more than likley to be the result of a determined, ruthless, and well-armed minority, where the majority look for help abroad -I imagine that the electorate of Belarus would have welcomed intervention after that prat's rigged elcetion "win".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They have zero right to spheres of influence and this type if imperial nonsense is a product of 100+ years ago, not the 21st century.

I implore you to listen to the incredible speech at last nights emergency UN security council session from the Kenyan UN representative.

If only Putin had the same levels of wisdom and intellect.

p.s the Soviet/Russian empire is also dead

No one has any "right" to a sphere of influence yet this is the case with every superpower. The West wants Ukraine in its sphere of influence, Russia wants the same country in theirs.

So when a different empire wants to do the same thing we do all the time - remember our allies Saud Arabia have a war in Jordan and we're not even talking about it, because its our allies and we on a political, medial and societal level have no issues when we and our allies cause trouble in the world. But when someone else wants do the same thing, we react. Our strife for world domination.

This is not a war about "sovereignity" or "freedom". We've had no problems installing pro-Western leaders, often cruel tyrants, in the past and if it would give us an advantage, we'd do it Ukraine as well. This is a war about natural resources. We want our oligarchs to have full access to exploit Ukraine, and Russia are hungry for the same thing.

Every war is about this, yet people buy the "high morale" lies every damn time. The end result is always the same; Western oligarchs get full access to the natural resources of the "immoral" country which then goes on to live in poverty as we're robbing them of what is theirs. Why didnt we go bananas over the Russo-Georgian war? Because Georgia has nothing that we want.

The whole eternal "we're good and Russia are evil" dichotomy is false. Our media, in bed with our oligarchs as always, are stirring it up, using the simplest of strategies, collected straight out of Gustave Le Bons "The Crowd" or "Propaganda: The Formation of Men's Attitudes" by Jacques Ellul. We are to intellectually weak to resist joining in in the hatred and warmongering. Too blind to see it. Of course the Ukrainians, like everyone, deserve their independence. But that is not an option. Either they belong to Russia or to us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps Johnson can release the Russian influence report that he's been hiding ?

And no one will accept sanctioning Oligarchs that few have heard of. He's got to sanction Abramovich for people to accept he is serious about the Oligarchs.

Named under Parliamentary privilege:

[Tweet]1496476388123193347[/Tweet]

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It is bluster. A handful of people and some banks nobody has ever hear of.

We needs tough leadership, not someone who's so fatally compromised in every area he literally couldn't do anything useful even if he was suddenly magically turned into someone who wasn't useless.

I'd have been fine with him saying, like Biden, this is fairly moderate, but we'll do X,Y and Z if to come if Russia escalates

To be fair, at this stage, it is clear that tougher sanction actions are being held back and will be used if and when necessary. I believe it is just a case of not firing off ‘every weapon’ at this stage of the crisis.
If the lunatic Putin is to be influenced by sanctions, they will come through a coordinated effort planned and set in motion by the rest of the world leaders and they will be a lot tougher than those so far enacted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here