Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Switzerland, a favourite destination for Russian oligarchs, has set aside its tradition of neutrality and announced that it will adopt all the sanctions already imposed by the European Union on Russia.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How does this end? Increasingly clear that Ukraine are going to resist strongly even if they are ultimately "conquered". So how does this play out? - no way Putin will back down and lose face. He will only up the ante in the face of defeat. And I won't speculate what that would look like as it's too scary..

Controversial, but would our best outcome in the West have been for Ukraine to roll over and submit to Russian rule?

Absolutely not.
That's the very definition of kicking the can down the road.
Putin would have just moved on elsewhere.

The best outcome would have been to have not pandered to Putin over the last X years.

We're now at rip off the plaster o'clock.
This is going to get ever more ugly but now we're here the rest of the world needs to deal with Putin's Russia once and for all.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Cant listen to comical ali at the UN any longer, literally just bullshitting Putins narrative. somebody needs to call it as it is.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Realistic option. No way is he going to back down now. That is what is scary about this situation.

It won't be quick and the Ukraine government may fall, but if the rest of the world can keep the pressure up, he'll realise he has no choice but to withdraw.

The loss of face will be terrible, but he'll lie his way out of it. There is a way out for him, but he's a good way from seeing this cold reality

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
How does this end? Increasingly clear that Ukraine are going to resist strongly even if they are ultimately "conquered". So how does this play out? - no way Putin will back down and lose face. He will only up the ante in the face of defeat. And I won't speculate what that would look like as it's too scary..

Controversial, but would our best outcome in the West have been for Ukraine to roll over and submit to Russian rule?

You want the free world to abandon a country to Russia to save your own skin? Hang your head in shame.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Talks between Ukraine and Russia have finished (for today?). Ukraine have formally applied to join the EU.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Putin won't withdraw, he's gone too far now. Likeliest outcome I can see is that he eventually gains control of Kyiv, and installs a puppet government who the people of Ukraine will refuse to acknowledge. The whole country then descends into years and years of guerilla warfare between Russian troops and Ukrainian rebels, with no end in sight.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Russia considering halting attacks on civilians. While hardly a galant move, and possibly a lie, it’s a dialogue. And that is a good sign.

Also

Patel says waiving Visa procedures would pose security risk and she won’t allow it.

What a ****.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Russia considering halting attacks on civilians. While hardly a galant move, and possibly a lie, it’s a dialogue. And that is a good sign.

Also

Patel says waiving Visa procedures would pose security risk and she won’t allow it.

What a ****.

I thought I heard the Russian ambassador to the UN state that no attacks on civilians had occurred?

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
You want the free world to abandon a country to Russia to save your own skin? Hang your head in shame.

Ha ha do stop pearl clutching! That's not a definitive statement I made at all, and you know it.

Your use of the term "free world" is an all together different discussion to be had as well..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Talks between Ukraine and Russia have finished (for today?). Ukraine have formally applied to join the EU.

honestly dont think this is so clever. apart from whether EU will change rules to fast track, it wouldnt happen in weeks, doesnt give any protection in itself and kinda proves the case from Russia that Ukraine wants to go west, they can play on that. there was talk of neutrality, seems to go the other way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here