Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rules on phones at work.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
I have had to take the difficult decision to ban smart phones from the warehouse at work.

The time wasted on them was getting ridiculous. One of the worst offenders was myself admittedly. But it's just too compulsive to reach for the phone as soon as boredom strikes. All staff were the same though every time I turned round someone was texting or surfing.

Anyone else in the same boat with this?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Yeah big growing problem, worst thing is when you get someone whose partner rings or texts them to have an argument or carry on a dispute from before work!

People quite rightly don't like work interfering with life at home but some don't mind inflicting their domestics at work

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Yeah big growing problem, worst thing is when you get someone whose partner rings or texts them to have an argument or carry on a dispute from before work!

People quite rightly don't like work interfering with life at home but some don't mind inflicting their domestics at work

Don't mind the odd request and stuff. But the long drawn out conversations were becoming a joke. Also text conversations that seem to have no end.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
It's a big tightrope at my work. I work at a residential special school so although like most of you there is a problem of time wasting, we also have to consider child protection when all phones these days have cameras. On the other hand in terms of behaviour (being able to call for help if out of yelling distance) and seizure management (knowing the time) they are very useful. I believe the current rules are no private calls, no texting or Internet, and no phones out of pockets (unless there is an emergency) in bathrooms and bedrooms.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
So long as staff work the hours they should and do a good job, does it matter?

If people are taking the piss then smart phone or not, they would still take the piss and you should get rid!

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I love my I phone, but it's very right to ban it from the work place. Access to anything and everything at just tap the screen? it's too much temptation for people to withstand. And thats just North Stand Chat

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Working in a digital agency, it's hard to ban them altogether as they are needed for certain purposes. My last agency had a rule whereby they weren't allowed unless during breaks or for work related tasks, but the place i am in now is a bit more relaxed. As long as the P isn't taken then it's ok.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Interesting. My company INSISTS we use our mobiles for personal calls so they don't have to pay for them on work phones..!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Currently a hot issue at my workplace. Phones were recently banned in one of our departments, by the departmental manager, however I haven't banned staff in my department yet. This is probably related to the staff in my department being a bit older - therefore using their phones significantly less than the younger staff in the other department. In fact, I think I may be the only smartphone owner in my team.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
im a bus driver ,its gross misconduct to touch your phone

The punishments for using a mobile phone while driving a pcv or lgv vehicle are much more severe than for those caught in a car! The standard 3 points and £60 fine is not given to us. We would have to go to court and can get a fine of up to 2K, a ban and even imprisonment.

Maybe if these punishments were given to everyone then MAYBE drivers would think harder before picking up there phones while driving. To me, it's as bad if not worse than driving while under the influence of drink and/or drugs!

I refuse to pick up my phone under any circumstances while driving and I am not interested in buying a hands free device either. As a professional coach driver I reckon that my passengers (that pay my wages) deserve me doing my job with 100% care and attention. I am witnessing more and more often, people using their phone while driving and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Their driving standards tend to fall dramatically. It seems to me that when they pick up their phone their right foot seems to lift up by an inch or two! Why? because they cannot concentrate properly!

Other than that, if I'm in the yard the boss will turn a blind eye to a quick call or surf but it is in our contracts that we don't use our phones on duty.

D

Deleted User X18H

If you work with sensitive data. Names and addresses etc.Then using a mobile device at your desk contravenes the DPA.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
If you work with sensitive data. Names and addresses etc.Then using a mobile device at your desk contravenes the DPA.

I would love to see this? I've never seen this in the DPA, is it a new thing?

I'm working on an iPhone and Android application for my company. My phone is in my hand most of the time.

D

Deleted User X18H

I would love to see this? I've never seen this in the DPA, is it a new thing?

I'm working on an iPhone and Android application for my company. My phone is in my hand most of the time.
Well you can record names and adresses can't you. And if you have access to them bank account or card details.

Oct 21, 2007
Portslade
I have had to let two potential apprentices go because of this.
They have found it impossible to leave their phones alone when we are supposed to be grafting. One even stopped when we were carrying a roll of carpet up some stairs, telling me to hang on a minute while he text someone!
Is a real problem.they see it in the same light as smokers see a fag break as their God given right. Both frankly bloody annoying when we have a lot to get through.
Actually saw a plumber smash his apprentices phone with a hammer once as he was on it all the time despite several warnings!

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

Well you can record names and adresses can't you. And if you have access to them bank account or card details.

Well that is not what you said. You said using your mobile device at your desk contravenes the DPA. When what you actually mean is if you record data using your phone it contravenes the DPA, which is an entirely different thing. You could have said using a pen and some paper at your desk contravenes the DPA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here