Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rules on phones at work.

D

Deleted User X18H

Well that is not what you said. You said using your mobile device at your desk contravenes the DPA. When what you actually mean is if you record data using your phone it contravenes the DPA, which is an entirely different thing. You could have said using a pen and some paper at your desk contravenes the DPA.

Fair enough. The place I worked had a blanket ban on mobiles at desks. But wouldn't using your mobile for call purposes make the recording by you or a third party even easier?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I have had to let two potential apprentices go because of this.
They have found it impossible to leave their phones alone when we are supposed to be grafting. One even stopped when we were carrying a roll of carpet up some stairs, telling me to hang on a minute while he text someone!
Is a real problem.they see it in the same light as smokers see a fag break as their God given right. Both frankly bloody annoying when we have a lot to get through.
Actually saw a plumber smash his apprentices phone with a hammer once as he was on it all the time despite several warnings!

Didn't realise Kaz did plumbing as well as bombing down the wing.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Just set yourself limits. I look on the news apps every couple of hours may text the Mrs a couple of times. Occasionally I will have a 10 minute browse on FB as a bit of light reading. I am not on my phone for any more than 1 hour throughout the day 9-5.

Although my boss knows I do it I feel if I take the piss it could be banned but because I know it will be I make sure I do not abuse it. Its also the same with the Internet at my work we have free browsing rights but youtube has now been banned as last Friday me and my Office Manager decided to watch funny clips from Step Brothers and Anchorman followed by The Albions best goals over the years. Big boss man looked on the server Monday morning and realised that we had been on you tube for the last 3 hours on the Friday.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I was in a pub the other night and all night the barmaid was looking at her phone. She was not giving customers attention.Really annoying .

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
my company have just given us Iphones 4s's to replace the BBerry, and there is no restrictions. However i hardly use my personal phone during work time unless it is in my lunch break.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Well you can record names and adresses can't you. And if you have access to them bank account or card details.

People are also able to copy down such information with a pen and paper. If somebody is determined to mis-use their employment then they will with or without a smart phone

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just set yourself limits. I look on the news apps every couple of hours may text the Mrs a couple of times. Occasionally I will have a 10 minute browse on FB as a bit of light reading. I am not on my phone for any more than 1 hour throughout the day 9-5.

Although my boss knows I do it I feel if I take the piss it could be banned but because I know it will be I make sure I do not abuse it. Its also the same with the Internet at my work we have free browsing rights but youtube has now been banned as last Friday me and my Office Manager decided to watch funny clips from Step Brothers and Anchorman followed by The Albions best goals over the years. Big boss man looked on the server Monday morning and realised that we had been on you tube for the last 3 hours on the Friday.

You are happy that you are only using it up to 1 hour in 8? You dont believe that's taking the piss? You wouldn't work long for me.

sussexadz121

Mar 21, 2011
Burgess Hill
Well you can record names and adresses can't you. And if you have access to them bank account or card details.

you could also do this with a pen and paper. are they banned under the DPA too?

Rubbish I work in finance and have NEVER been told that a mobile on a desk is a DPA breach !

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Rubbish I work in finance and have NEVER been told that a mobile on a desk is a DPA breach !

Yes, a pen and paper is also banned where HB&B works, I worked there too for a while. A whiteboard with a marker is all you're allowed and you have to wipe it clean after every call. They were very hot on the DPA there.

Where I work at the moment there are no rules on the use of Mobiles, or any concerns about DPA because there isn't any sensitive data. It is very laid back and allows for plenty of NSC lurking. Especially if you're sitting in thr far corner (you know who you are!).

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Really is a massive problem. I teach 16-18 year olds that are probably the absolute worst in terms of being attached to their phones, I seriously believe that many of them have an actual addiction. Some of them literally cannot go more than 2 mins without looking at it, it is getting to the point where many students ask to go to the toilet to look at their phone. The girls are the worst I have to say, even telling them 5 times to put it away they then spend time looking into their lap or bag. It really is a huge problem of addiction.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Really is a massive problem. I teach 16-18 year olds that are probably the absolute worst in terms of being attached to their phones, I seriously believe that many of them have an actual addiction. Some of them literally cannot go more than 2 mins without looking at it, it is getting to the point where many students ask to go to the toilet to look at their phone. The girls are the worst I have to say, even telling them 5 times to put it away they then spend time looking into their lap or bag. It really is a huge problem of addiction.

Have a tray at the front of the classroom, on entering all phones are placed into it. If one goes off that hasn't been placed into the tray throw said person off the course.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Have a tray at the front of the classroom, on entering all phones are placed into it. If one goes off that hasn't been placed into the tray throw said person off the course.

Not allowed to take property off a young adult, you can ask but they have the right to say no!

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole

I am so glad mobiles on became common place after I finnished school. I reckon I would have learnt FA if I had had a phone during education.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I remember a big scam some years ago where some staff at a call centre for a retailer were saving card numbers and cvvs on phones and sending them to accomplices. Mobiles are banned in such places and all paper is shredded at end of shift.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's a big tightrope at my work. I work at a residential special school so although like most of you there is a problem of time wasting, we also have to consider child protection when all phones these days have cameras. On the other hand in terms of behaviour (being able to call for help if out of yelling distance) and seizure management (knowing the time) they are very useful. I believe the current rules are no private calls, no texting or Internet, and no phones out of pockets (unless there is an emergency) in bathrooms and bedrooms.

:facepalm:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Really? I don't think this is true. It's just an offence to record and use people's details full stop. Yo can do that with apencil and paper. I feels you is talking from your anus.

Apologies, realised everyone else posted this too.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

You facepalm as much as you like but most nursery companies have a no mobile policy for staff for this very reason. They and schools also have to keep records on which children can be photographed and which ones can't because many parents won'tallow it.

I often have to work in secure data centres and they always insist you hand over any phone before entering. Strangely the BBC seem the more paranoid than the MOD ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here