Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

rubbish albion STRIKERS

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This isn't remotely important, but I can't let a piece of information SLIP away.

So, we had two Willie's. One was YOUNG, one was IRVINE. YOUNG was shit, IRVINE scored the good goal (against Villa, or Everton wasn't it?). Am I right so far? Secondly, when did they both play? I'm guessing that IRVINE must have been late 70s/early 80s for us to be appearing on Match of the Day, but when was this YOUNG joker? How long did he last?

I just looked and remarkably he doesn't have a wiki entry, so I've no stats. He was a reasonably big name and had a fairly succesful career in Jockoland and at Notts Forest when they were good.

By the time he came to us in about 1986[?] he was a huge, gingery, LUMP of a centre back, with the turning circle of a fully laden oil tanker.

The nadir of his Albion career, was and still is the lowest, low of all my near 30 years following the Albion. We were 1-0 at half time at Fratton Park, and rather enjoying ourselves. Now my memory isn't that great and maybe my recollection is a little bit harsh on our Willie, but it seemed like he personally GAVE them FIVE second half goals. I think he had a bit of help from Corrigan [?] in goal, but it seemed that EVERY goal stemmed from a Young backpass / missed tackle / foul, etc.

I'm sure that wasn't his last game for the club, but I seem to have erased any later memory of him from my brain.

Another IMPORTANT bit of information for you, is that when he was here, we had THREE Youngs [all unrelated] in the side. Willie - lardy Jocko clown, Eric - up and coming centre half, with flair eye-protection, later to find FAME with Wimbledon and Wales, and finally Alan, a reasonably effective but under-rated striker.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Sam Williams is the worst I can remember.

I seem to remember Henderson (Darius?) looking pretty poor in the Championship for us, but he's done well since so he can't be that bad.
Darius Henderson never ever played for us in The Championship fact!!

D

Deleted User X18H

when did Paul Jewell play for us? Don't remember that.

Certainly remember the watse of time that was Frank Stapleton's loan
Paul Jewell came on trail in 1995 and never played on competeive match!!

Whilst on trail he lived at the EXCELSIOR hotel two doors from my flat on Hove seafront he got very very drunk and was ejected from Orisino's in Church Road and then almost (it looked like) shagged some random bird in the shelter by what is now known as the Babylon Lounge a regular haunt for the z Lister it seems I could see him from my kitchen window as I had just returned from Orsinios my self.

Anyhow he threw up in his room at the Excelsior the duty manger told me ,and then pissed off before the trial was due to finish.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I just looked and remarkably he doesn't have a wiki entry, so I've no stats. He was a reasonably big name and had a fairly succesful career in Jockoland and at Notts Forest when they were good.

By the time he came to us in about 1986[?] he was a huge, gingery, LUMP of a centre back, with the turning circle of a fully laden oil tanker.

The nadir of his Albion career, was and still is the lowest, low of all my near 30 years following the Albion. We were 1-0 at half time at Fratton Park, and rather enjoying ourselves. Now my memory isn't that great and maybe my recollection is a little bit harsh on our Willie, but it seemed like he personally GAVE them FIVE second half goals. I think he had a bit of help from Corrigan [?] in goal, but it seemed that EVERY goal stemmed from a Young backpass / missed tackle / foul, etc.

I'm sure that wasn't his last game for the club, but I seem to have erased any later memory of him from my brain.

Another IMPORTANT bit of information for you, is that when he was here, we had THREE Youngs [all unrelated] in the side. Willie - lardy Jocko clown, Eric - up and coming centre half, with flair eye-protection, later to find FAME with Wimbledon and Wales, and finally Alan, a reasonably effective but under-rated striker.

Thought Willie Youngs career highlights were at Arsenal where he won an FA cup winners medal against Utd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here