Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy and national pride

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Since taking over as England manager Roy has selected a team where all eleven players are honoured to sing our national anthem.

Piss off Rooney and a couple of other spoilt brats.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The national anthem is a dull, tedious dirge.

I wouldn't blame anyone for not singing the sodding thing, footballer or otherwise. Last time I checked this was a football competition, not the Eurovision Song Contest.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Since taking over as England manager Roy has selected a team where all eleven players are honoured to sing our national anthem.

Piss off Rooney and a couple of other spoilt brats.

I noticed that at the beginning also - and I am sure a couple of those players don't normally sing it either (Cole I am sure hasnt in the past) - great to see!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have to say when I saw them all singing it I got the feeling they had been told they had to by our Roy.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming

I wouldn't blame anyone for not singing the sodding thing, footballer or otherwise. Last time I checked this was a football competition, not the Eurovision Song Contest.

Dull and tedious it may be but you should be proud to play for your country and as a result be proud of your country and sing...simples.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Dull and tedious it may be but you should be proud to play for your country and as a result be proud of your country and sing...simples.

Exactly this.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
:lolol: This sort of thread really goes to show the difference a result makes. If we'd lost, there would be a LOT of criticism of Roy and the boys.

For what it's worth, I also sang the National anthem with my right hand across the left side of my chest over the badge. I like the team having workmanlike players like Milner, Parker and Lescott. Not brilliant and probably not the best players we have in their positions but they're good, honest, hard working players who care about playing. I don't mean that as a criticism of Walcott, Lampard and Ferdinand to refer to specific positions, but this England team seems much more OF a team. And I deffinitely praise Hodgson for that. He's bringing through the youth too, it would have been really easy for him to have picked Crouch in the squad and started with him instead of Welbeck, and it would have been easy to play Downing instead of Chambermaid. I think Walker would have been in the team ahead of Johnson, too, had he been fit. I would like to see Phil Jones start the last game, if we've qualified already, to really give our new generation some proper experience in a major tournament.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

I think we will have to agree to disagree here. :)

I have no problem with people singing it should they so choose, but bear in mind that most of that lineup were singing it because they'd been told to, not through any genuine pride or passion whatsoever.

If they want to show their pride, then do it on the pitch between the whistles, singing a song makes no odds one way or t'other. The Spanish anthem has no words, are they any less proud of playing for their country because they have nothing to sing before kickoff?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Yes, never mind footballing ability, lets just turn this into chuffing X factor shall we?

Sake

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Do one you arse of a new breed of football fan. Have you had your face painted yet? :lol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

If it were Jerusalam or land of hope and glory I would sing, but god save our Queen is shite and I don't have any feeling of loyalty to the monarchy so personally I would pass on that. You can still be proud of your country without singing the anthem.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Do one you arse of a new breed of football fan. Have you had your face painted yet? :lol:

It's funny you should say that. I went over to see mr [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] earlier and his cat was in his garden.
a-LARRY-THE-CAT-JUBILEE-640x468.jpg

And this was on a wall in his house.
article-2154364-1370F98D000005DC-379_306x303.jpg

And this was him when we went off to watch the match in the local watering hole.
face_paint.jpg

Didn't sing the anthem, though.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
If it were Jerusalam or land of hope and glory I would sing, but god save our Queen is shite and I don't have any feeling of loyalty to the monarchy so personally I would pass on that. You can still be proud of your country without singing the anthem.

True, you can be proud of your country without singing the anthem but a lot of players chosen for England in the past don't give a toss anyway.

I think it is a good idea - seems Roy is forging a TEAM spirit, if it means singing the anthem together then so be it. the England team has suffered from not being a team, just a bunch of over hyped prima donnas.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If Roy is genuinely instructing the players to sing it will be interesting when Rooney tries to get back. That little runt thinks he's above it all.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If Roy is genuinely instructing the players to sing it will be interesting when Rooney tries to get back. That little runt thinks he's above it all.

Complete nonsense. ??? Rooney will fit perfectly into the new team ethic Roy's England is all about. He spent the match wearing an England shirt, a minor touch perhaps, but all part of the masterplan in my opinion. Whether Roy is actually orchestrating it or not, who knows. But I like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here