Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy and national pride

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It's quite possible to have pride in your country without wanting to sing a crappy, dated, royalist dirge which has no relevance for a large percentage of the population.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Regardless of the anthem, I can't remember a recent England performance in which all the players seemed as committed and as professional as they were tonight, regardless of their ability. And I've rarely heard an England manager sound so intelligent. Could well be that Roy is the man for the job, and I'll probably still say that even if we don't set the world on fire in this tournament.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Regardless of the anthem, I can't remember a recent England performance in which all the players seemed as committed and as professional as they were tonight, regardless of their ability. And I've rarely heard an England manager sound so intelligent. Could well be that Roy is the man for the job, and I'll probably still say that even if we don't set the world on fire in this tournament.

Totally agree. Everyone looked like they cared and knew what they were doing. Personally can't ask for more and if/when we lose playing like that I'll accept that we fulfilled our potential and feel some pride in our National team, something I haven't felt for years. Roy may well be the man.

I was very suprised to see tham all singing the National anthem, be interesting to see what Rooney does.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Whilst national pride has NOTHING to do with singing the national anthem, they all look like they actually want to be there this time, and I for one am for once proud of the team.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder whether the trip to Auschwitz will have humbled him.

Rooney's a lot of things, but I don't think he's ever been "big time", to be fair to him. He comes from one of Liverpool's crappest council estates, and could blend back in there any time I'd imagine. Of all the players, I'm not sure he's one that needed "humbling".

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Complete nonsense. ??? Rooney will fit perfectly into the new team ethic Roy's England is all about. He spent the match wearing an England shirt, a minor touch perhaps, but all part of the masterplan in my opinion. Whether Roy is actually orchestrating it or not, who knows. But I like it.

Yes...but a pity he made no attempt to sing the Anthem...like the Anthem or not... (I prefer Land of hope and glory) it is our anthem and we should all sing it...if your not proud to show it you should'nt play for your country...no matter how good you are.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
If it were Jerusalam or land of hope and glory I would sing, but god save our Queen is shite and I don't have any feeling of loyalty to the monarchy so personally I would pass on that. You can still be proud of your country without singing the anthem.

Exactly this

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Our national anthem may be boring but the purpose of singing it is to continue on from the pumped up team talk in the dressing room and keep the adrenilin flowing and team bonding, ready for the whistle, it seemed to work last night so its ok by me. Most other nations do it and rugby players belt it out.
Having said that I wish it was land of hope and glory.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Roy is a very smart cookie. He is doing what he always does; ensuring that the team is bigger and better than the sum of its parts through its tactics, organisation and pride. Since we haven't got a team of world beaters that's the best we can hope for.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If it were Jerusalam or land of hope and glory I would sing, but god save our Queen is shite and I don't have any feeling of loyalty to the monarchy so personally I would pass on that. You can still be proud of your country without singing the anthem.
is the correct answer.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
As others have inferred, how is asking God to save one woman supposed to inspire a football team to win a game?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
As others have inferred, how is asking God to save one woman supposed to inspire a football team to win a game?

I think it's more a case that at that precise moment, you have a chance to reflect on just how lucky and proud you are to be representing your nation. It's not about the words or the tune. Singing it loud and proud, however trivial, just shows to the millions watching that you care and that you're grateful to be there, representing them.

That's my two pence worth anyway.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Roy is a very smart cookie. He is doing what he always does; ensuring that the team is bigger and better than the sum of its parts through its tactics, organisation and pride. Since we haven't got a team of world beaters that's the best we can hope for.

amen.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who gives a toss as to whether Wayne Rooney sings the national anthem or not?

Oh, loads of people...

I'm more concerned that he doesn't play like a disinterested aggressive chav in this tournament. If he does I hope he just gets the one game. I'd love it if by the time he can play we don't need him, a la Jimmy Greaves in 1966

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm more concerned that he doesn't play like a disinterested aggressive chav in this tournament. If he does I hope he just gets the one game. I'd love it if by the time he can play we don't need him, a la Jimmy Greaves in 1966

I thought, now that his thatch is growing, that he looked like a young Donald Trump.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here