Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rovers looking forward to giving Dunk some stick Saturday....

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
they really are delusional, i remember their fans coming on here before the start of the season and saying that they had a play-off quality team last year but were plagued by injuries, fair play, but this year they have more than proven that they are just shit.

injury to one player does not ruin an entire season, if they really thought that they were play off material they wouldn't self-confess to being a one-man-team

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I notice that Donny fans are happy that the ref for Saturday is Geoff Eltringham who is a bit trigger happy with the yellow and red cards - and they feel this will count against us.

I hope he doesn't ruin the game. Our disciplinary record has greatly improved of late which is another factor is our consistency so I hope the predicted El Abd vs Diouf encounter doesn't get too spicey. Personally I think Donny are getting a bit ahead of themselves as Diouf must always be favourite for at least a yellow.

pubteam

Feb 28, 2012
Doncaster Rovers supporter, in peace….

Come on guys, we’re better than this, aren’t we?

You have to understand all this in the context of the position we’re in. We’ve never really been able to get going this season, and we’ve always been playing catch up after the way we started the season. We haven’t really had the rub of the green, and the opening day pretty much summed up the whole season for us: Glimpses of why we can be a good side, brought crashing down by a combination of naiveté on our part, and a lack of good fortune. Sharp’s injury was a massive blow, and whilst I’m not suggesting we’re bottom of the league because of it, it did leave us without a very important player for the first month and a half of the season. Considering that we’re in a situation where a club of our stature is always going to be battling the odds to stay in this division, that injury had a more significant impact on us than it might have done for most other teams in this league.

It still hurts, and it still rankles with people, that our efforts to put last season’s disappointments behind us were set back at such an early stage, and I think people still vent their frustration at it because it epitomises the way our season has just gone completely wrong from Day One.

I’m sorry that you and your player are at the receiving end of that. If we were half way up the table by now, I’m sure that it would’ve all been forgotten about, and the build-up to this Saturday would’ve been all about the football, and all about the way that we should be getting on with each other as supporters of Doncaster Rovers and Brighton. But we’re not half way up the table, we’re in a desperate relegation dogfight, and people are frustrated and bitterly disappointed that just seem to have been hampered by setback after setback (both self-imposed and stuff beyond our control).

Yes, some of the comments from our lot have been moronic, but every club has an element of that, don’t they? You Brighton lot had a chance to rise above it and come out smelling of roses, but comments like “The Championship will be better without Doncaster Rovers – small time club” just add to the antagonism. I would’ve thought that a down-to-earth club like Brighton would realise that we’re in this division because we deserve to be. What happened to these two plucky friends that have together battled their way out of adversity to reach the Championship?? Our two football clubs have come so far since we both nearly died on our arses in the 90s… shouldn’t that prevail over a few ill thought out comments? I desperately want to see an end to all this aggro over the Dunk-Sharp incident, but some of the derisory comments about my club and my town on here just make me want to stick two fingers up instead.

Please, stop tarring every Rovers fan (and the whole club) with the same brush as you do the odd hothead who hasn’t really thought things through. We’re a decent bunch of fans on the whole, and although I can’t really speak for those who have made comments that have upset you, I can’t help but think that they are born mainly out of frustration about our position, and passion for our cause. I didn’t like the Dunk tackle at the time, and I believe he should’ve been red carded, and although it still hurts because it did have an impact on that game (and the start of our season), I don’t think it’s worth all this bickering and nastiness. Yes, our supporters have got a fair bit to answer for in the whole thing, but I don’t think you lot are helping – constantly trawling our forums for any mention of the incident in question, and making things worse by rising to it and producing some of the bile presented in this thread.

As I said at the beginning, can we start to move on from this now please? There will always be an element of our support that will want to drag up the whole Dunk thing – why not just leave it be? Most of our supporters HAVE moved on, and it’d be nice to see the majority of yours do the same.

Good luck for the rest of the season, and for those of you that are coming up to the game, I hope you have safe journeys.

RTID.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Welcome.
Barely :)
You have to understand all this in the context of the position we’re in.
Understood. I accept why some of your fans are reacting the way they are.
Sharp’s injury was a massive blow, and whilst I’m not suggesting we’re bottom of the league because of it, it did leave us without a very important player for the first month and a half of the season.
Agreed.
Yes, some of the comments from our lot have been moronic, but every club has an element of that, don’t they? You Brighton lot had a chance to rise above it and come out smelling of roses, but comments like “The Championship will be better without Doncaster Rovers – small time club” just add to the antagonism.
All clubs have a mix of people. If one set of fans start on another, they are never going to rise above it. To be realistic, it doesn't work that way.
I would’ve thought that a down-to-earth club like Brighton would realise that we’re in this division because we deserve to be.
Of course we realise that. You're looking at a couple of comments.
I desperately want to see an end to all this aggro over the Dunk-Sharp incident, but some of the derisory comments about my club and my town on here just make me want to stick two fingers up instead.
And some of the comments on your board have made some of the fans here stick two fingers up. You haven't, you have risen above. Most Brighton fans haven't either. But some of the fans from each club have. Understandable.
I didn’t like the Dunk tackle at the time, and I believe he should’ve been red carded
I disagree. I watched the replay a few times, and it looked like a mis-timed challenge and worthy of a yellow. It looked like Billy was injured when he landed, not by Dunk. Some of your fans came here saying his leg was broken in 3 places, which was cleary bollox and makes me want to take the piss.
I don’t think it’s worth all this bickering and nastiness. Yes, our supporters have got a fair bit to answer for in the whole thing, but I don’t think you lot are helping – constantly trawling our forums for any mention of the incident in question, and making things worse by rising to it and producing some of the bile presented in this thread.
As above, you're not being realistic. Are our fans constantly trawling your forums for any mention of the incident - how did you come across this discussion here? Some fans from all clubs pop onto the forum of the next opposition before a game, don't read more into it than that. Of course our fans are not helping, but one wouldn't expect them to.

Dunk's challenge really wasn't that bad, it certainly wasn't with intent. Your fans are vexed about it (I would expect a percentage to feel that way) and ours are telling where to stick it (I'd expect some to feel that way too).

As I said at the beginning, can we start to move on from this now please?
I don't think we have the authority to make that decision.
There will always be an element of our support that will want to drag up the whole Dunk thing – why not just leave it be? Most of our supporters HAVE moved on, and it’d be nice to see the majority of yours do the same.
As long as some of your supporters bring it up, some of ours will tell them to get stuffed. And like you say, most will have moved on. But it's fair to say that the percentage of Brighton fans that have posted in this thread is low.

Good luck for the rest of the season
Likewise.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

You have to understand all this in the context of the position we’re in. We’ve never really been able to get going this season, and we’ve always been playing catch up after the way we started the season. We haven’t really had the rub of the green, and the opening day pretty much summed up the whole season for us: Glimpses of why we can be a good side, brought crashing down by a combination of naiveté on our part, and a lack of good fortune. Sharp’s injury was a massive blow, and whilst I’m not suggesting we’re bottom of the league because of it, it did leave us without a very important player for the first month and a half of the season. Considering that we’re in a situation where a club of our stature is always going to be battling the odds to stay in this division, that injury had a more significant impact on us than it might have done for most other teams in this league.

It still hurts, and it still rankles with people, that our efforts to put last season’s disappointments behind us were set back at such an early stage, and I think people still vent their frustration at it because it epitomises the way our season has just gone completely wrong from Day One.

I’m sorry that you and your player are at the receiving end of that. If we were half way up the table by now, I’m sure that it would’ve all been forgotten about, and the build-up to this Saturday would’ve been all about the football, and all about the way that we should be getting on with each other as supporters of Doncaster Rovers and Brighton. But we’re not half way up the table, we’re in a desperate relegation dogfight, and people are frustrated and bitterly disappointed that just seem to have been hampered by setback after setback (both self-imposed and stuff beyond our control).

Yes, some of the comments from our lot have been moronic, but every club has an element of that, don’t they? You Brighton lot had a chance to rise above it and come out smelling of roses, but comments like “The Championship will be better without Doncaster Rovers – small time club” just add to the antagonism. I would’ve thought that a down-to-earth club like Brighton would realise that we’re in this division because we deserve to be. What happened to these two plucky friends that have together battled their way out of adversity to reach the Championship?? Our two football clubs have come so far since we both nearly died on our arses in the 90s… shouldn’t that prevail over a few ill thought out comments? I desperately want to see an end to all this aggro over the Dunk-Sharp incident, but some of the derisory comments about my club and my town on here just make me want to stick two fingers up instead.

Please, stop tarring every Rovers fan (and the whole club) with the same brush as you do the odd hothead who hasn’t really thought things through. We’re a decent bunch of fans on the whole, and although I can’t really speak for those who have made comments that have upset you, I can’t help but think that they are born mainly out of frustration about our position, and passion for our cause. I didn’t like the Dunk tackle at the time, and I believe he should’ve been red carded, and although it still hurts because it did have an impact on that game (and the start of our season), I don’t think it’s worth all this bickering and nastiness. Yes, our supporters have got a fair bit to answer for in the whole thing, but I don’t think you lot are helping – constantly trawling our forums for any mention of the incident in question, and making things worse by rising to it and producing some of the bile presented in this thread.

As I said at the beginning, can we start to move on from this now please? There will always be an element of our support that will want to drag up the whole Dunk thing – why not just leave it be? Most of our supporters HAVE moved on, and it’d be nice to see the majority of yours do the same.

Good luck for the rest of the season, and for those of you that are coming up to the game, I hope you have safe journeys.

RTID.
Not a red card, had he not have been injured it wouldn't have even been noticed. A foul yes, yellow probably, red no. Look again.

I hope Doncaster Rovers stay up, and have been watching their progress all season, hoping that.

As far as the opening game, Sharp was a blow to them in the game itself, and obviously impacted their early month and a half.
But it didn't appear any more malicious than their approach and their tackling in the game's earlier stages - they came at us to upset our day and got quite 'industrial' with their tackling.
At first I thought "where's the DRFC goodwill we were supposed to have", before I realised they'd come to spoil the party and nick the points and they weren't there to play pretty football and lose.
Dunk's tackling did not look any worse than theirs - and I don't believe he went out of his way to crock their bloke at all.

If the whole blame is laid on that day for their whole season, then I have to wonder how such an ill prepared one-man-team can have expected anything better in the Championship?

It's like going to Vegas for a week with a tenner and blaming the first croupier when you lost your entire bet in the first hour!

But anyway, still hoping Doncaster stay up...but not with any points from us please.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But it didn't appear any more malicious than their approach and their tackling in the game's earlier stages - they came at us to upset our day and got quite 'industrial' with their tackling.
Dunk's tackling did not look any worse than theirs
Fact.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Dunk was clumsy, Sharp was unlucky. The referee got it spot on with the punishment, which is more than you can say for the punishment of the horror lunges on Barnes and Lua Lua, and for booking Lua Lua for 'simulation'. :facepalm:

The tackle on Barnes would have been a red if Ashley hadn't jumped to his feet immediately (to berate the ref).

A small bit of rolling around would have seen them down to 10 men.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Isn't that a sad indictment of a game where a tackle is judged not by its intent or brutality but by its result?

KLL got the same punishment for stumbling over.

Yep it is, but I think it's true unfortunately.

Player jumps up - no harm done - not a red.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Isn't that a sad indictment of a game where a tackle is judged not by its intent or brutality but by its result?

KLL got the same punishment for stumbling over.

Yep it is, but I think it's true unfortunately.

Player jumps up - no harm done - not a red.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003

RTID.

I like the way you remove yourself from the few "morons" at your club before insinuating that the "morons" from ours somehow speak for us all.

I'm sorry, but you have only added to the feeling of dismay I have that a few of your following would put your poor season down to one moment on the very first game (and it wasn't a red card by the way). Every club has a bad run, as have we. Your management has had plenty of time to put it right and have chosen to try and do so by bringing in a load of players who even your manager says are at Doncaster to "put themselves in the shop window". Hardly the kind of ethos that is going to work when you are scrapping for points.

And if Sharp was so utterly crucial to your survival in the Championship, why sell him?

Lastly, I have nothing but respect for Doncaster Rovers as a club after what we have been through and "fans" like you will do nothing to change that.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
People who take comments on the internet as representative of a clubs fan base are stupid.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Fact is if Donny's entire season hinged on one striker, then they're not good enough to be in the Championship. Simple as that.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Fact is if Donny's entire season hinged on one striker, then they're not good enough to be in the Championship. Simple as that.

Exctly. Just as we weren't in the season Zamora was crocked early on.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Not a red card, had he not have been injured it wouldn't have even been noticed. A foul yes, yellow probably, red no. Look again.

This , the Bedwetters were mouthy bastards after it and f***ing BLIND not to see there own ACTUAL fouls

f*** them and their shitty little excuse for a club.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
My dad's an exiled Doncaster fan (he was born there during WW2) so the Donny-Brighton love-in has been quite a good one for my family and I'd be sad to see it damaged.

Blaming Doncaster's season on a day-one injury is clearly absurd. If they were that reliant on Sharp that missing him for six weeks means definite relegation, they were in deep trouble anyway. The fact that it's such a daft complaint to make should make it obvious what's happened here, it's just some fans not quite being able to square their pre-season expectations with reality, happens at pretty much every club with a bit of optimism (and the fact that both us and Rovers are able to start any season with optimism is the real story here imo).

I hope Rovers stay up, but looking at the League 1 clubs likely to come up next year, and the Championship ones likely to go down, they'll have a good chance coming straight back if they plan well (presuming that Charlton and at least one of the Sheffield clubs come up this year).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As I started this thread having viewed the comments on the Vikings Forum perhaps I should reply to the Doncaster fan.

First let me say I wasn't trolling or looking for trouble. I always check out what opposition fans are saying as part of my personal build-up to a match. I was actually quite surprised by the views Donny fans expressed but as I said in my opening post I was also highly amused rather than being in any way upset or offended - the statements made were clearly those either of kids or so called "ultras" (is there a difference?) or possibly people of, shall we say, limited intellectual capacity. As the Donny fan comments - we all have some of those but even so the nature of the arguments they were rehearsing (to blame a Lewis Dunk tackle in the first game of the season for them still holding up the table after 30 plus games) was risible as were the suggestions of vengence being taken by fans and players. I started this thread purely out of amusement and certainly nothing else.

Distancing yourself from the most embarrasing elements of your own fans is fine. I find that I often need to do that. However, to do so and then put forward the same arguments in a marginally different guise, doesn't really wash.

To paraphrase some of the responses from our end:-

Dunk's tackle was rightly a yellow card and no more than that - crude, mistimed, inappropriate - but not viscious or trying intentionally to hurt the player.
Norris' tackle on Barnes was easily as bad (out of generosity I will hesitate to say worse).
The "treatment" of LuaLua from the outset was cynical and pre-planned to take-out a player viewed as a threat.
Your second injured player hurt himself when he kicked Calderon's head trying an overhead kick - no-one's fault.
Your management and your fans were (shall we say) a little circumspect where truth is concerned as to the nature of the injury - very very strangely indeed some still seem adamant that Sharp broke his leg in three places!

All that aside, there is currently I hope a great deal of goodwill between fans of our two sides but I do rather fear that a few people will carry their extreme grievance, that one tackle in one game has totally destroyed your club's prospects, to the levels of a footballing crusade.

I have a vision that as Donny tumble back down the leagues after this season's inevitable relegation, those people will be watching matches in the Northern League in years to come (having gone bust in the meanwhile naturally or it wouldn't merit tragedic status) recalling how one tackle from "that thug" killed their club.
No memory that this is the second consecutive season of struggle; no mention of sacking a good manager and replacing him with someone unproven; no matter consistently financially sailing way too close to the wind and entering into the most bizarre manipulation of the transfer regulations; no mention of employing mercenaries with no interest ahead of committed young talent; no mention of selling your best players (indeed selling Sharp, presumably, as soon as he recovered miraculously from his career ending injury). Still, thank God it IS all someone else's fault...........................

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here